Just dreaming... a thought on a new coach

tmurph2643

I keep hearing all of these names being thrown around... but what do you think about this scenario...

What if... Barta brings back Mr. Davis for two years as a mentor to Rodell Davis. R. Davis was an assistant to Mr. Davis and Keno at Drake. But what if we pull kind of a drake situation for revival with the old coach training someone to get the job done right.

This is just a thought... is it logical... not really... but what the hell... Lickliter is still the coach and apparently unicorns exist.

I keep hearing all of these names being thrown around... but what do you think about this scenario...

What if... Barta brings back Mr. Davis for two years as a mentor to Rodell Davis. R. Davis was an assistant to Mr. Davis and Keno at Drake. But what if we pull kind of a drake situation for revival with the old coach training someone to get the job done right.

This is just a thought... is it logical... not really... but what the hell... Lickliter is still the coach and apparently unicorns exist.

Not too far fetched...Kansas State brought back Synder!

I'd say thats about as fetched as it gets. Then again I see people that act like Lick may actually turn this around and I realize nothing is to far fetched.

You must be talking about me about 3 weeks ago. I would be in full support of him if the team had been consistently competitive throughout the season... the end of the season has just killed me.

I don't think Keno is too far fetched. He is a grown man and doubt he'd hold grudges for what happened to his father.

If Iowa would get of their hands, contact the dude, and throw some money his way..we may have us a coach. Iowa ties, Iowa basketball. Not Lick basketball.

Keno may be the only Iowa tie left that we haven't completely severed (by running out Davis and Alford) so let's get him.

Its not like Keno is setting the Big East on fire. That said it would be nice to see 80 points from time to time.

I don't think Keno is too far fetched. He is a grown man and doubt he'd hold grudges for what happened to his father.

If Iowa would get of their hands, contact the dude, and throw some money his way..we may have us a coach. Iowa ties, Iowa basketball. Not Lick basketball.

Keno may be the only Iowa tie left that we haven't completely severed (by running out Davis and Alford) so let's get him.

I do NOT want Keno! He had one good year at Drake with his dads players. Other than that, he hasn't proven squat except that he will leave at the first sign of bigger opportunity and more money! I think you may be mistaken on my original post.. I want his dad back to get the program back on track.

Atleast you've seen the error of your ways. You are forgiven.

I won't admit to an error... but I think something has drastically changed since right after our 9 day layoff before NW. Before that, we were getting better, but were inconsistent... and then we were given a violent shove to consistent... consistently bad!

I would not mind seeing Rodell back on the Iowa sidelines as an assistant..but he did just move to Providence and doubt he would leave keno.

I would not mind seeing Rodell back on the Iowa sidelines as an assistant..but he did just move to Providence and doubt he would leave keno.

I doubt Rodell would turn down an assistant head coaching job at Iowa. I also doubt that Mr. Davis would come back to coaching. I would be all for it if it happened. I actually think Davis could get a lot out of this group (including next years recruits).

Go get Tom Izzo's top assistant, or Bo Ryan's top assistant, or Matt Painter's top assistant.

We hired one of Hayden Fry's top assistants, and look what happened.

Barta needs to wise up -- please do not hire another "mid-major" "big playbook" dope like McDermott or Lickliter

Go get Tom Izzo's top assistant, or Bo Ryan's top assistant, or Matt Painter's top assistant.

We hired one of Hayden Fry's top assistants, and look what happened.

Barta needs to wise up -- please do not hire another "mid-major" "big playbook" dope like McDermott or Lickliter

Like Gary Close?????

I do NOT want Keno! He had one good year at Drake with his dads players. Other than that, he hasn't proven squat except that he will leave at the first sign of bigger opportunity and more money! I think you may be mistaken on my original post.. I want his dad back to get the program back on track.

Common, let's not be too harsh on Keno for leaving Drake of all places to coach in the Big East. I'm sure he got a major payraise out of the deal and has better recruiting grounds, etc. Would YOU have turned down the opportunity he was offered? I doubt it.

I do agree with everyone else that Keno is still VERY unproven still, though. I'm not sold on him yet.

I wouldn't be opposed to us bringing back the Doctor for a few years to help get us back to respectability, while he grooms an assistant to be head coach. Not sure if Mr. Davis would ever coach here again after the way he was shown the door, but that was under a different AD, and Davis seems the type to forgive and forget. Who knows.

Good grief, why bring back Tom Davis? The man was a good coach, but Iowa doesn't need an "interim" head coach. No to Rodell Davis also.

I'd take Pearl, but he'll never come here...no matter how much money he is offered.

Mike Dunlap is my choice, but I doubt we could get him. If not Dunlap, Steve Forbes looks like he could be a very good hire.

If you let your mind wander a little bit on a rainy Thursday morning, you can almost see a unique coaching staff on the sidelines in CHA...

Mr. Davis
George Raveling
Don Nelson
Ralph Miller
Sharm Scheurman

ok, maybe not Sharm. But maybe he and Bob Hogue would come back to call the games

We would definitely attract a lot of attention, there would surely be multiple magazine articles and visits by ESPN. Probably even a movie in there somewhere, maybe a remake of Space Cowboys???

We're already playing peachbasket basketball. Let's not get stuck in the past. I love Mr. Davis and the others listed above, but come on. Get a young assistant from other Div I, preferably Big Ten, program--somebody that can recruit.

Latest posts