Jr. Lick

TheBattman

Am I the only one not really bothered by the kid playing? I knew Iowa was going to stink going into this year and had no delusions of anything more. Here are the main points why I don't care. They are short on players and there's no one left behind him.
1. He's not on scholarship - It's not like he is taking someone else's spot. His dad, no matter the employer is, is footing the bill.
2. He's not playing over anyone when its obvious he shouldn't be - It's not like He's Adam Shada.
3. Next year when there are more bodies filling minutes, he will be sitting the bench.
4. If he wasn't there who would they play?
5. He's a backup.

Wasn't there a guy at Indiana who did the same thing last year because they were short on bodies? He knew it was a 1 year thing. If John's a starter next year then I'd be worried. If John was some other guy; He'd be a revered cult hero. Instead he's the polarizing player on a bad team where his dad's the coach.

Does Iowa ever have open try outs for walk-ons? I would really be shocked if there weren't a lot more talented guards already attending iowa as just students.

Good points. I would add that the coach was trying to teach Cully some stuff which is why he had him on the bench and played John. Cully was playing 33 minutes a game, John 7 until the game in question and everybody, including sound off, makes it out like the kid was starting and playing 40 minutes a game. THEY HAVE NO OTHER POINT GUARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does Iowa ever have open try outs for walk-ons? I would really be shocked if there weren't a lot more talented guards already attending iowa as just students.

Back, when Mr. Davis had the "grey" squad, they would have tryouts for students to try to make the grey team. When Alford came on board, he got rid of the gray team.

They also had a gray team of guys that used to suit up and play against the Women's BB team, but the NCAA stepped in and said that they could not practice against a male practice team.

This board has turned into a gang mentality, from the top down. People need to stop piling on the kid, the whole situation and let it go, and Barta didn't help anything either.

Back, when Mr. Davis had the "grey" squad, they would have tryouts for students to try to make the grey team. When Alford came on board, he got rid of the gray team.

They also had a gray team of guys that used to suit up and play against the Women's BB team, but the NCAA stepped in and said that they could not practice against a male practice team.

The players on Davis' gray squads were a lot closer to Big Ten talent then Lickliter. Off the top of my head Jason Bauer and Daryl Moore were both gray squad guys, possibly Ryan Luershman or Kyle Galloway too. There has to be a more capable walk-on out there.

Am I the only one not really bothered by the kid playing? I knew Iowa was going to stink going into this year and had no delusions of anything more. Here are the main points why I don't care. They are short on players and there's no one left behind him.
1. He's not on scholarship - It's not like he is taking someone else's spot. His dad, no matter the employer is, is footing the bill.
2. He's not playing over anyone when its obvious he shouldn't be - It's not like He's Adam Shada.
3. Next year when there are more bodies filling minutes, he will be sitting the bench.
5. He's a backup.

Wasn't there a guy at Indiana who did the same thing last year because they were short on bodies? He knew it was a 1 year thing. If John's a starter next year then I'd be worried. If John was some other guy; He'd be a revered cult hero. Instead he's the polarizing player on a bad team where his dad's the coach.

Fair points.

The biggest problem I have is that it shows us how far away we really are... When a program like Iowa has to rely on a walkon thats a problem.

HawkeyeMike you make a great, great point.

Last edited:
no problem with him, i think this is getting old, move on to something else. y don't we rip on cole for having arms that are bigger than most of our legs?

The biggest problem I have is that it shows us how far away we really are... When a program like Iowa has to rely on a walkon thats a problem.>>

I totally agree with that but the lack of walkons but even with the defections, What do you do, panic, and offer some kid to take a 2 year/4 year spot who won't be better than a guy you are going to get in next year/after that and marginally better than . Only so many scholarships to offer.

5. He's a backup.

How are you gonna feel next year when miniLick plays in the B10 over more talented players and CoachLick comes out and says, "We needed experience on the floor and miniLick has been in the B10 atmosphere before so I went with him"

How are you gonna feel next year when miniLick plays in the B10 over more talented players and CoachLick comes out and says, "We needed experience on the floor and miniLick has been in the B10 atmosphere before so I went with him"

This is not going to happen unless there are major injuries - if it does, Lick should be fired on the spot.

Do people really think that coach Lick had John walk on to the team thinking he could groom him into a Big 10 point guard?? I have a feeling this wasnt the case at all. I think coach thought he could help the team out in practice as a walk on, nothing more. He didn't invision the transfers, injuruies and arrests that were soon to come which has put him in this spot. Next season when we have more players on the roster, John will resume his initial position with the team, pushing the other players in practice and cheering hard from the sidelines during the games.

I think the truth is that most people have really not accomplished much in their lives. It somehow makes them feel better about themselves when they can run down a kid like John Lickliter. It is pretty sad but that is our society.

if tucker wouln't have been suspended, jon wouldn't be playing, its out of need that he is playing, get over it and cheer for this team, who cares if he played 24 min against michigan, that was an outlier.

I think lil lick is a perfect fit for this team. If Iowa is going to have big lick as a coach, why not have his son playing point. A division III player playing point for a mid major coach over his head as a coach in the Big 10....perfect.

It doesn't matter if lil lick is playing folks.

Big lick is not about to hold tryouts for walkons because he knows there probably are kids walking around campus that are better than lil lick. If he found a player. what would that do his credibilty? Besides lil lick already knows the 'system' and we all know it takes years and years to learn lick ball...this is not an easy system to learn...or watch.

So enjoy lil lick...he tries.

Latest posts