Jordan Bohannon Answered Critics with Record-Breaking Career

I have defended JBO on this board for the last three years. He should go down as an all-timer for his overall game. 4+ year starter. Great kid. Cocky in a great way.

His stats speak for themselves: Best statistical three point scorer, best assist man, best free throw shooter.

He is right there with Kingsbury as best 3 point shooter in history. Right there with Horner as best assist guy. Right there with BJ as far as running the team and being a leader. Right there with Haluska for being clutch.

Take a bow, young man.

I have defended JBO on this board for the last three years. He should go down as an all-timer for his overall game. 4+ year starter. Great kid. Cocky in a great way.

His stats speak for themselves: Best statistical three point scorer, best assist man, best free throw shooter.

He is right there with Kingsbury as best 3 point shooter in history. Right there with Horner as best assist guy. Right there with BJ as far as running the team and being a leader. Right there with Haluska for being clutch.

Take a bow, young man.
I agree with all this. But he's also right there with Troy Skinner as an on ball defender and that is more than some can stand...

I think the cockiness has something to do with it too, even with some Iowa fans. I brought up a Lars Ulrich comparison about ten days ago and I think there is some validity. There is some strong dislike for Metallica in the music world, both among fans and fellow musicians. Some fans think they sold out, others think they're not commercial enough. Some despise them for firing Dave Mustaine way back in the day, for being greedy on the business end, for sticking, it to anyone who tries to nick them.

A lot of the vitriol is directed at Ulrich (forget the fact that he is a co-writer for most of the bands songs, the band's de facto business manager, and the chief designer of the band's visuals and stage props) People says he's a weak drummer, a lucky bum, sucks up to the press, sucks up to James Hetfield, on and on.

Largely undeserved. Metallica made some of the best music in rock history when they were living in warehouses on McDonald's food, survived the death of their best musician, survived substance abuse, took copious amounts of shit from the sunset strip scene and its musicians (some of whom became famous bands in their own right) NOTHING was given to Metallica, and as for Ulrich, most drummers don't write or handle press responsibilities.

Back to Bohannon, who sort of resembles Lars. He is the youngest of a line of decent basketball playing brothers, has a little schmooze to him, isn't afraid to say what he thinks in social media, if not mainstream media, has hit enough clutch shots and free throws to last a lifetime, has several school records, overcame two hip procedures, overcame limited athletic ability, even has a shot that would drive a fundamental purist crazy. If he is a polarizing figure to Iowa fans on this forum, think of what the rest of the league thinks of him.

Like Luka, enjoy him while he is here. We are going to miss him.

I'll just have to take his place. Headband and wristband and all that. Like some dude I played against in high school. Freak
Though Kingsbury could shoot from downtown Iowa City, would take JBo every time. Despite some detractors, it will be weird not seeing him on the court next year!

Though Kingsbury could shoot from downtown Iowa City, would take JBo every time. Despite some detractors, it will be weird not seeing him on the court next year!
Bohannon's range rivals Kingsbury's. Its just more common today than it was in 1995 to see someone with the green light to let it fly from 25 feet and beyond.

I agree with all this. But he's also right there with Troy Skinner as an on ball defender and that is more than some can stand...

I think the cockiness has something to do with it too, even with some Iowa fans. I brought up a Lars Ulrich comparison about ten days ago and I think there is some validity. There is some strong dislike for Metallica in the music world, both among fans and fellow musicians. Some fans think they sold out, others think they're not commercial enough. Some despise them for firing Dave Mustaine way back in the day, for being greedy on the business end, for sticking, it to anyone who tries to nick them.

A lot of the vitriol is directed at Ulrich (forget the fact that he is a co-writer for most of the bands songs, the band's de facto business manager, and the chief designer of the band's visuals and stage props) People says he's a weak drummer, a lucky bum, sucks up to the press, sucks up to James Hetfield, on and on.

Largely undeserved. Metallica made some of the best music in rock history when they were living in warehouses on McDonald's food, survived the death of their best musician, survived substance abuse, took copious amounts of shit from the sunset strip scene and its musicians (some of whom became famous bands in their own right) NOTHING was given to Metallica, and as for Ulrich, most drummers don't write or handle press responsibilities.

Back to Bohannon, who sort of resembles Lars. He is the youngest of a line of decent basketball playing brothers, has a little schmooze to him, isn't afraid to say what he thinks in social media, if not mainstream media, has hit enough clutch shots and free throws to last a lifetime, has several school records, overcame two hip procedures, overcame limited athletic ability, even has a shot that would drive a fundamental purist crazy. If he is a polarizing figure to Iowa fans on this forum, think of what the rest of the league thinks of him.

Like Luka, enjoy him while he is here. We are going to miss him.
He is not a polarizing figure on this forum. There are a few who blast his defense and a smaller group that complain about his off the dribble offense. Most everyone gets it that his detractors exaggerate his faults to the point where they sound silly. I love the “Jabo’s guy blows by him all the time.” I DVR the games and have watched him individually to look for evidence of his poor defense, and frankly, he does not actually get beat all that much. In fact, since we have gone to man D, he is actually quite solid. So, no worries. He will go down as one of the finest point guards in Iowa history and the boo birds won’t even register on the meter.

It's abnormal to have the best 3 point shooter in school history to be the 3rd best 3 point shooter on the team, but that's what's happening here.

I don't follow recruiting closely so I bought into noise that he was a legacy get, at best he belonged in the MVC. I just assumed it would take 2-3 years before he would be able to contribute, but he was able to contribute from day 1. It was apparent early he was worthy of the schollie and all the push back for giving him one went away quickly.

Last edited:
I buy into the story that he truly wanted to be a Badger and they didn't want him. It worked out in the end for everyone so it is all good.

It's abnormal to have the best 3 point shooter in school history to be the 3rd best 3 point shooter on the team, but that's what's happening here.
It is a terrific dilemma to consider. And, I am not necessarily buying the premise. Its hard to measure "best." Career percentage? This year's percentage? Who would make it in the clutch?

Three thoughts. If the game were on the line and one of these three guys all had the same reasonably good look, who would you want to take it?

If these three were doing a White Man Can't Jump shooting contest for cash, who would win?

Who would win the NBA style three point shooting competition?

I go with JBO on all.

It is a terrific dilemma to consider. And, I am not necessarily buying the premise. Its hard to measure "best." Career percentage? This year's percentage? Who would make it in the clutch?

Three thoughts. If the game were on the line and one of these three guys all had the same reasonably good look, who would you want to take it?

If these three were doing a White Man Can't Jump shooting contest for cash, who would win?

Who would win the NBA style three point shooting competition?

I go with JBO on all.
I honestly think I would go with CJ this year for a last second shot. White men can't jump contest goes to Bohannon. And hell I might pick Wieskamp for the NBA shooting contest. He just doesn't miss much anymore. I don't really trust him in the clutch tho.

How many 6' 175 lb unathletic white dudes are in D1 basketball putting up stats like he has? Not to mention leading with the all the intangibles he provides. I mean seriously there's a reason Wisconsin and every other D1 program didn't recruit him. Even though everyone knew he could shoot when open nobody thought that was worth a scholly. Well did Fran hit a homerun or what? People didn't seem to factor that he was the baby brother of 3 other D1 hoopers and son of a guy that played D1 football in a Rose bowl. The kid grew up learning what it'd take to be great. Not just good. He is as mentally tough as anyone and unselfish of a teammate as you could ever have.

We are so damn lucky to have had him it's not even funny. I'm going enjoy each and every game we have left down the stretch.

Ole Fran is going to take off the governor and release Garza big time. I have a feeling he's going to have a monster March. I just hope JW is going to be good to go pretty soon.

Take a bow, young man.
Excellent points.

Bo was very important to the team‘s success and what he did he excelled at, but his penetration skills and ability to break down defenses were lacking. If he could do that he could be looking at a NBA career.

I am glad he played for the hawks but he isn’t on the same level as BJ. Don’t get me wrong Bo is an important factor, his leadership skills are valuable to this team, but those guards who were able to shut Bo down because of their quick relentless defense wouldn’t stand a chance against BJ’s quickness, of which MJ and other Bull’s players were big benefactors of. Those factors put BJ’s leadership skills at a whole different level.

Garza’s retired jersey will be right up with number “10’s“

Just for reference;

Latest posts