JON: DJK catch comment.....

hawkfaninTX

Jon ended today's chat calling out DJK and his "drop" when his frustration with that play should actually be well thought out.....

Wouldn't you agree that a pass in front of your facemask is easier to catch than one from 30+ yards away over your back shoulder? I would say McNutt's "fluff" of an attempt at catching that slant is a more eggregious act (especially because it put points on the board for the other team immediately, where as the DJK drop i believe was on 1st or 2nd down allowing the drive to continue- even though it eventually stalled) than an over the shoulder extended attempt by DJK. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Yup. Marvin should have caught that ball too. No one asked me that question in the chat. I also have higher expectations for DJK...great expectations in fact, and he has those for himself. I commented on this several times in the chat and now one time in the comments section of the chat item on the front page. I think I have made it clear that I have nothing against the kid and only have appreciation for his talents. People are making it out like I have something in for DJK, when the extreme opposite is the case. He just didnt make a play in this game I thought he could have made. It's not why Iowa lost the game.

I think the ball was slightly over thrown, as open as he was, take a little off the pass and insure the completion

I assumed you were not flaming about it, but i wanted to make absolute sure. You are correct in thinking he should be held to higher standards. I knew you weren't blaming DJK, it just seemed very direct, that is all, and your explanation is valid.

Seniors need to make those plays.

There's an entire Big Ten season is still ahead of us. Hopefully DJK and the rest of the seniors rise to the ocassion and make a difference. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say the seniors will make the plays and make a difference.

I think the ball was slightly over thrown, as open as he was, take a little off the pass and insure the completion

You must be thinking of when Stanzi missed McNutt on Iowa's first possession. The touchdown that DJK dropped went right through his hands.

The one that bothered me the most was a poorly thrown ball to DJK on the right sideline near the goal line that he made nottempt to make an adjustment on the ball and it was nearly intercepted. Not the frist or second time that has happened.

Here is an idea, how about we just let it go and move on, it is over with, DJK dropped a TD pass no amount of ******** and complaining is going to change that fact. I'm sure Jerry Rice dropped a few in his time as well. Nobody is perfect.

the comment was made that DJK "slowed down" on the deep pass. yes, he did. because he was trying to adjust for the ball being thrown over his outside shoulder instead of his inside shoulder. If you are running down the sidelines looking over your inside shoulder for the ball and its over your other shoulder, you have to make an adjustment. That will cause you to lose speed.

the pass should have had more air, DJK was WIDE open. Its funny this pass is brought up repeatedly yet the ball bouncing off McNutts hands that went to a TD is largely ignored.

I'm sure Jerry Rice dropped a few in his time as well. Nobody is perfect.

From an interview done in 2007 and posted at pbs.org:
"Tavis [Smiley]: Your start was really not that terribly auspicious.
[Jerry] Rice: Dropping footballs.
Tavis: I didn’t wanna say it, but you dropped a lot of them.
Rice: Yeah, I did.
Tavis: When you first started.
Rice: I really did."

Here is an idea, how about we just let it go and move on, it is over with, DJK dropped a TD pass no amount of ******** and complaining is going to change that fact. I'm sure Jerry Rice dropped a few in his time as well. Nobody is perfect.
Actually, Jerry Rice might be the one guy who didn't drop a TD pass :). He was the professional's professional - the best of all time.

I understand high expectations of DJK, but expecatations of Marvin should be high as well.
As for the throw from Rick, we can disagree on whether DJK could have or should have caught the ball, but if the throw was better (not over the other shoulder and 5 yards to the left of where it could have or should have been) then we wouldn't be discussing this at all because DJK makes the catch. Let's not overlook the little things either like getting open against Wade all night to the tune of 7 catches for 114 yards and a touchdown. Those are reasons why we even come back in the game. DJK played very, very well. And McNutt not so much.
Sorry to disagree.

The reason why people are giving DJK more grief than McNutt is that DJK has a big mouth and is WAY too full of himself. If you're gonna talk the talk, you better walk the walk.

Meanwhile, Marvin quietly goes about his business, making spectacular leaping catches and toe-tapping TDs. So he gets more of a pass from the fans when he makes a mistake.

the comment was made that DJK "slowed down" on the deep pass. yes, he did. because he was trying to adjust for the ball being thrown over his outside shoulder instead of his inside shoulder. If you are running down the sidelines looking over your inside shoulder for the ball and its over your other shoulder, you have to make an adjustment. That will cause you to lose speed.

the pass should have had more air, DJK was WIDE open. Its funny this pass is brought up repeatedly yet the ball bouncing off McNutts hands that went to a TD is largely ignored.

This
+
with added this...McNutt almost never misses a pass, that his was a Rick6 makes it painful.

DJK adjusts a lot to the ball, only when he misses do we see it posted....ya he missed, yes he seemed to slow etc(he adjusted early). Just like Mcnutt lost a ball that was in his hands. hey it's new week.

The reason why people are giving DJK more grief than McNutt is that DJK has a big mouth and is WAY too full of himself. If you're gonna talk the talk, you better walk the walk.

Meanwhile, Marvin quietly goes about his business, making spectacular leaping catches and toe-tapping TDs. So he gets more of a pass from the fans when he makes a mistake.

. hes on pace to set all the receiving records yet he hasnt "walked the walk?"

Matt Roth had a big mouth, I missed your criticisim of him. or Drew Tate or several others.

Last edited:
you are an idiot. hes on pace to set all the receiving records yet he hasnt "walked the walk?"

Matt Roth had a big mouth, I missed your criticisim of him. or Drew Tate or several others.

This. DJK has backed up the talk for going on 4 years. He's made a few mistakes, everyone does. Do I sometimes wish he'd keep quiet? Sure. But he's a confident guy, and that's something I love about him, even if he's occasionally too vocal about his confidence.

I agree that the McNutt drop/tip for a pick 6 is more egregious than the DJK dropped TD pass, however, they both needed to make those plays. I think every player on the team probably made mistakes in that game, and not one of them by themselves caused us to lose the game. But, all of them added together cost us the game. You can't blame the loss on one person or one unit of the team. Our entire team lost that game, and our entire team needs to work on improving so we can win the rest of our games. Additionally, all the real fans need to be there to cheer them on just as loudly and proudly as if they were undefeated. I'm going to every single game, home and away, for the rest of the season. GO HAWKS!!!

Latest posts