Jon, are you following this news about Rivals etc.?

PlannedSickDays

Looks like the NCAA is categorizing Rivals, Scout, and 24/7 as scouting services and banning teams/coaches from having accounts. Teams that have had accounts now have to report a secondary rules violation.

Could mean lots of changes in the future. If they allow free access to their vids and stories it's not a problem. If they continue their business model they may lose team access? What's you take?

Looks like the NCAA is categorizing Rivals, Scout, and 24/7 as scouting services and banning teams/coaches from having accounts. Teams that have had accounts now have to report a secondary rules violation.

Could mean lots of changes in the future. If they allow free access to their vids and stories it's not a problem. If they continue their business model they may lose team access? What's you take?

I have not seen any of what you are talking about. That is certainly interesting. Might make things interesting related to subscription services like that that the NCAA has deemed as scouting services, as it relates to credentials and several other things. Do you have a link?

Just found this:

NCAA Bars Schools From Subscribing to Rivals (Updated) - Team Speed Kills

I will say this; my guess is that every major school has had, at least in the past, a subscription to rivals and/or scout.

Rivals and Scout will not fold because schools no longer subscribe to them...you are only talking about a hundred or so subscriptions.

What will be interesting to monitor, without knowing for sure what takes place, is how schools treat writers from Rivals, Scout, 24/7 or other subscription services whose primary revenue stream and function is to cover recruiting.

My guess is they are going to be kept at more than just an arms length distance as in 'don't have anything to do with these outlets.'

The rub there is some coaches have certainly developed relationships with publishers of these sites, and they are monitored by most institutions...they read what recruits are saying in these stories, which is why they subscribe...picking through the chaff to find the wheat...and in the case of some schools, the relationships are far more entwined. I am not talking about schools financially compensating writers, however I strongly suspect (more than just suspect in some instances) that some coaches at some schools have funneled information to writers affiliated with these sites, and vice versa...symbiotic relationships. I don't think any serious rules have been violated here, however, if any.

Iowa has always been pretty locked down on this stuff, and even more so in recent years. They are very, very guarded. Very guarded. However, I know of publishers at some Rivals and Scout sites at other schools (having been a publisher at both) who text and email recruiting recon to staff members regularly, and receive the same in return.

This is certainly an interesting interpretation, to be sure...and one of the reasons I am very glad to have left the subscription model when I did.

It's not going to go away, not hardly...but I think its user base and subscriber base has peaked.

Last edited:
Also, this seems to apply to videos being premium. My guess is rivals and scout look to make those free and still charge for interviews...which are typically less than enlightening when u deal with 17 and 18 year olds

Odd if schools have to report a secondary violation if they have subscribed to these services in the past...retroactive punishment on a new rule? Doesn't seem right

What's next. Are they going to ban the schools from looking at youtube.

I know you were being facetious, but as long as youtube is free and everyone can access it, its fine.

I think since to be able to access the rivals videos, there is a fee involved, its seen as a scouting service.

So will they ban ESPN and Sports Illustrated subscriptions too? How do you distinguish?

Jon, you may remember when some conferences, and I believe the NCAA also, tried to block schools from giving media credentials to Scout and Rivals. Patrick Crumb paired up with Rivals' counsel and crushed them, pointing out it would be a slam-dunk First Amendment and possibly antitrust case, and they backed off. This looks very similar to me, and it's hard to see how the subscription aspect is material.

And how does this compare to Oregon's $25,000 payment for "recruiting services", a type of payment the NCAA has expressly permitted, at least till now?

I am not talking about schools financially compensating writers, however I strongly suspect (more than just suspect in some instances) that some coaches at some schools have funneled information to writers affiliated with these sites, and vice versa...symbiotic relationships.

It was pretty obvious that Texas was using their site that way during the conference shake-up.

So will they ban ESPN and Sports Illustrated subscriptions too? How do you distinguish?

Jon, you may remember when some conferences, and I believe the NCAA also, tried to block schools from giving media credentials to Scout and Rivals. Patrick Crumb paired up with Rivals' counsel and crushed them, pointing out it would be a slam-dunk First Amendment and possibly antitrust case, and they backed off. This looks very similar to me, and it's hard to see how the subscription aspect is material.

And how does this compare to Oregon's $25,000 payment for "recruiting services", a type of payment the NCAA has expressly permitted, at least till now?

It's slippery stuff, no doubt. Traditional newspapers are getting more and more involved in covering recruiting...are they 'street agents'? Where they draw the line will be interesting, and seeing if they can enforce it will be more interesting.

A friend who just retired from Gannett points out their southern newspaper sites are very heavily into recruiting now. And they charge for their print versions, and sometimes for web.

And how about the various newsletters and tip sheets in the basketball recruiting game? Those aren't free. Are they banned too? If not... why not?

This horse has left the barn.

What I think is shady is some of the "reporters" for these sites who are de facto recruiters for the schools.

I actually think the Iowa beat guys are pretty good at neutrally reporting in their conversations with recruits (at least as far as what is published anyway), but you read some of the "interviews" on these sites, and it's basically "So how awesome is Alabama? How cool would it be to win a national title at Alabama? Would you say that Alabama is your favorite?"

What I think is shady is some of the "reporters" for these sites who are de facto recruiters for the schools.

I actually think the Iowa beat guys are pretty good at neutrally reporting in their conversations with recruits (at least as far as what is published anyway), but you read some of the "interviews" on these sites, and it's basically "So how awesome is Alabama? How cool would it be to win a national title at Alabama? Would you say that Alabama is your favorite?"

Agreed - but how does that differ from many of the local papers, especially in the South? Will paying for a newspaper subscription be a secondary violation now?

The Reporters, following well established guidelines of journalism, will contact recruits during the dead period, forward embarrassing news stories, repeat the sales pitch, and mention how the head coach is just such a great guy.

Latest posts