Joe Philbin

I don't believe he called the plays when he was the OC for Green Bay. I Could be wrong but thats how I remember it.

I don't believe he called the plays when he was the OC for Green Bay. I Could be wrong but thats how I remember it.

No he didn't but he did handle the offensive game planning for GB and was very good. Of course having AR and those WRs they had at the time does make life easy.

KF would still be the HC. There in lies the problem. Anyone who thinks GD is doing anything KF doesn't want done is wrong.

in overall philosophy, you are absolutely correct. In schemes, patterns, and playcalls within than philosophy, you are incorrect. A good OC could play within the overall philosophy of KF and be successful.

In regard to Philbin...yes please.

I think this was going to be Davis's last yr all along. This was to be his swan song with a SR qb. Needless to say at it hasn't gone all that great at least not yet. I'll be surprised if Davis comes back next yr. Philbin would be great if that could happen. It'd sure make as much sense anyone else on the list anyway.

in overall philosophy, you are absolutely correct. In schemes, patterns, and playcalls within than philosophy, you are incorrect. A good OC could play within the overall philosophy of KF and be successful.

In regard to Philbin...yes please.

I think the key word is :Could

Hey PHilbin might if our strength coach makes $610k surely Barta would give an OC like Philbin $1M+ with a 75% guarantee whether we win another game over the next 10 years of the Ferentz era. That's a pretty good gig if you can get it.

He might lose that job if the colts fire the whole coaching staff otherwise I doubt he leaves that job for the hawks.

This.

Before his current gig he was an nfl head coach. I know there's a relationship w/ KF but that would be (at best) a lateral move. Doubt he'do it. Otoh, giving him a Barta Special 10 year contract might weigh heavy, though.

I'd rather see a younger, "new age multiple-touchdowns-per-quarter" offensive mind.

All assistants have to agree to coach within the stronghold of Kirk before he will hire them. Assistants are not allowed to challenge Kirk because there are no flaws in his system.

All assistants have to agree to coach within the stronghold of Kirk before he will hire them. Assistants are not allowed to challenge Kirk because there are no flaws in his system.
I liked Hayden's approach better. Hayden wouldn't hire a guy that didn't want to be a head coach and his logic was spot on.

I see a striking resemblance between our line play and Indy's this season. Hopefully it improves.

KF would still be the HC. There in lies the problem. Anyone who thinks GD is doing anything KF doesn't want done is wrong.
That is the major problem with the program and Ferentz, and a major difference between him and Fry or guys like harbaugh or Meyer today. Ferentz surrounds himself with yes men that don't seem to have loftier goals. Most of the coaches major experience has only come at Iowa, or you have Greg Davis who had the option of this job or retirement.

That is the major problem with the program and Ferentz, and a major difference between him and Fry or guys like harbaugh or Meyer today. Ferentz surrounds himself with yes men that don't seem to have loftier goals. Most of the coaches major experience has only come at Iowa, or you have Greg Davis who had the option of this job or retirement.

Agreed, for a HC being able to maintain staff is a good thing, but that said you have to bring guys into the program that are bring in new ideas and a different mentality to add to what is currently in place. Rather than branch out we seem to recycle and replace from within.

I think KF absolutely followed the HF method of hiring assistants.....in 1999.

Look at the staff KF had that took him through the 2004 season. That coaching tree may not equal HF best staff, but it's pretty freaking good.

Once those coaches left for greater gigs, KF next hires were no where even close to as good as the previous guys. And his 3rd go around, most can argue are even worse. Jim Reid was a great hire, and sure enough others noticed and he's gone.

I would have taken Reid over Parker for DC

Latest posts