Joe Pa's last year?

austinhawk

If Penn State goes 2-6 in Big 10, do you see Penn State getting rid of Joe Pa? Their schedule looks like this will probably happen. This could be Iowa's last game against him.

Have they sucked this bad in the past 10 years, and he's now 82 gazillion years old.
movieplotstrue-weekend-at-bernies-590x350.jpg

They aren't going to be getting rid of him. The last time they nearly did that, he took them on a 5-year run in which the Nits went 51-13 and 4-1 in bowl games (including Rose and Orange Bowl appearances).

He's got the right at PSU to leave on his terms.

They were 3-9 in 2003 and 4-7 in 2004. Also in 2000 and 2001 only won 5 games.

2005:11-1
2006: 9-4
2007: 9-4
2008-11-2
2009: 11-2
2010-7-6

Depends on the boosters. If they get restless, yes, Joe Pa could be encouraged to retire. But I'm not seeing that now.

Funny, playing Penn State used to strike fear in the hearts of opponents. No more.

They were 3-9 in 2003 and 4-7 in 2004. Also in 2000 and 2001 only won 5 games.

2005:11-1
2006: 9-4
2007: 9-4
2008-11-2
2009: 11-2
2010-7-6

WTF are people getting their panties in such a twist about? Look at that record over the last 6 years how many other teams in the country can boast 3 -11 win seasons over the last 6 years? I believe one of those years they were a last second FG away from possibly playing for the NC.

WTF are people getting their panties in such a twist about? Look at that record over the last 6 years how many other teams in the country can boast 3 -11 win seasons over the last 6 years? I believe one of those years they were a last second FG away from possibly playing for the NC.

'08. Thank you Daniel Murray

They will not ask JoePa to leave.

He will leave on his own terms. That being said, I believe he decides to step down this at the end of this year. Though he's still got a lot of life left he looks tired.....

I thought he'd go 3 yrs ago but his drive and love for the game is something else....

I'm about a 100% positive he has not contributed to the coaching in the last four years at all. He just wanders around the sideline mumbling to himself.

I don't understand why people think that successful football coaches should get to keep their jobs forever and get to "leave on their own terms". We don't seem to apply this mindset to other highly-visible positions.

They aren't going to be getting rid of him. The last time they nearly did that, he took them on a 5-year run in which the Nits went 51-13 and 4-1 in bowl games (including Rose and Orange Bowl appearances).

He's got the right at PSU to leave on his terms.

JoePa's role in the 51-13 run was very, very limited. Their success picked back up again when JoePa's decision making authority was stripped. I think this opened up the recruiting lines a bit in the mid 2000's.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people think that successful football coaches should get to keep their jobs forever and get to "leave on their own terms". We don't seem to apply this mindset to other highly-visible positions.

I certainly don't consider that to be a typical attitude. JoePa is an exceptional case. I also didn't say that I agree with that mindset. But that's the kind of reign he's been given at PSU over the years. They aren't going to force him out.

JoePa's role in the 51-13 run was very, very limited. Their success picked back up again when JoePa's decision making authority was stripped. I think this opened up the recruiting lines a bit in the mid 2000's.

Regardless, it happened on his watch. If he had little control over the success, then he also has little control regarding their struggles now.

I certainly don't consider that to be a typical attitude. JoePa is an exceptional case. I also didn't say that I agree with that mindset. But that's the kind of reign he's been given at PSU over the years. They aren't going to force him out.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard a fan or mediot say JoePa or Bobby Bowden or some other one-time great athletic coach "has earned the right to leave on his own terms", I'd have a million dollars.

Let's put it this way. I think the fans are hoping that he decides he's had enough. They don't really want to have him fired, but I they think they could do better at this point.

I do not think that JoePa survives another down cycle at PSU. The fans are already on the edge. But, they are already 4-1,with at least a few more wins probable. They still have PU and NW on the slate,so that gets them to 6 wins...then OSU,and Neb at home...they will win 8 or 9 and Iowa could be one of them.

Regardless, it happened on his watch. If he had little control over the success, then he also has little control regarding their struggles now.

clowndenberg doesn't know shat. he just makes stuff up and faps it out to the board. he has no clue was Paterno does or does not do. he is the head coach, he runs the team.

Latest posts