Jim’s & Joe’s or X’s & O’s?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Is it the talent, lack there of or is it the scheme? It's an age old football question and we'll apply it to the 2012 Iowa football team.

More...

Is it the talent, lack there of or is it the scheme? It's an age old football question and we'll apply it to the 2012 Iowa football team.

More...

I definitely say it is talent and some coaching. The team speed is slower, players take bad angles which goes directly to talent/football acumen, and terrible tackling and pass catching skills. But then again, coach them up to tackle better and catch better through many many repetitions. The offensive lines usually is very good to excellent.

Here is why I dont think it is totally the scheme, Alabama runs a power or single back I formation pro-style offense really well, Green Bay's first two plays yesterday on offense were a blast straight ahead at tackle and guard, and then play two was a pass out to the flat about 3 yards downfield. The bears defense looks alot like what Norm ran and somewhat like Dungy at Tampa Bay.

The part of the scheme that is missing is the downfield vertical passing game that all top notch teams have.

I had to laugh at the Purdue game when one of the few times we had a deep receiver we had FOUR deep receivers, all the receivers were 20+ yards downfield without a short dump off receiver for jvb , haha funny all or nothing.

Our vertical passing game has been completely under the bus. If we take a few more shots downfield we would probably be looking at a different outcome. Its been baffling.

Just to reiterate what others have said on here, if the answer was simple I would hope it would have been fixed by now. Talent, execution, scheme, whatever it maybe, but the common thread I see its failure to adjust. You have two new coordinators, a chance took look back and do a review of what you have been doing, what hasn't work, what works, what needs tweaked, this is what KF eluded to several times and I agree in a sense, you dont make wholesale changes just for the sake of change. However, failure to adjust to your teams strenghts and weakness's is glaring here. You know you have a team lacking in talent, especially on offense in the skill positions, but continuing to run the same base offense with the premise, if we execute we can have success, its glaringly obvious the offense cannot execute against teams that have more speed, more talent, more strenght, why not adjust to what are the strengths and away from the weakness, the team lacks speed, why rely on these quick out moves and sideline passes, that require speed and quickness, the continuous check down passes on a one yard route.

Defense same issues, lack of speed, quickness, toughness, Iowa is supposed to be physical defense, make the offense earn every yard. With all the spread teams, you continue to see the same plays have the same success against the defense. Again no adjustments made, same base defense, giving up a ton of yards, in the past years did not give up the big plays, but same results, giving up the yards and wearing down the defense, playing great on first and second downs and giving up an easy first down when its 3rd and 7.

I'm tired of hearing were just Iowa, its so hard to recruit here, GD hire was an effort to get another resource in Texas, I get that, hopefully in the next few years we can get that Texas pipeline coming North again, but this is were KF has failed miserably. I think he's gone away too much from the Florida and Texas players, electing to concentrate more in the midwest. I'm from a small Iowa town and love hearing the work hard feel good walk on stories, but we are getting too many players on scholarship that are not BIG10 caliber players, whether they are from Iowa, from Illinois, Minnestoa, whereever, I dont know why recruiting philosphy has changed so much over the years. The style of play has to change, the style of defense has to change, you get a coach so set in his ways, not willing to change for the sake of change, but failure to adjust to the game style, the pace of the game, the way another team attacks our weakness whether on O or D, and we are seeing the results now. It happened to Hayden in his last 5 years, he lost alot of primary assistant coaches, there was a huge talent drop off and we were not very good recruiting, you saw alot of similar players, too many Iowa guys or similar type players coming in on scholarship who probably should not have been.

If you're getting blown out every week, that's talent. Losing close games on a routine basis is where coaching makes a difference. A few games this year could have been won with some timely coaching decisions. Kirk used to fare pretty well in this department but the last three years not so good.

The refusal to try new things, like a new QB, has been driving the angst among fans. To not even TRY a different quarterback for a series or two is just mind boggling. Is there another team in college football who has had the same QB take EVERY SNAP?

Defense: Where is our hard hitting DBs/SS's of years past. Where's our run stuffing Middle LB?

Offense: Lack of speed at WR is a definite issue. First, I do not believe we will ever get an abundance of talent at WR with KF as coach. How many talented WRs want to go play for a conservative/take-no-risks type of coach. With no WRs, we are going to never get top talent at QB. QBs is probably a crapshoot in recruiting. How do you judge the decision making ability of a QB in HS? Probably very difficult. So we can get lucky from time to time at QB. But WR speed has to be recruited.

We don't have an elite RB. Weisman style of running will make it tough to stay healthy. Garmon needs to add 15-20 lbs of muscle. Questions/challenges with the other runners (durability, size, or ability).

Our vertical passing game has been completely under the bus. If we take a few more shots downfield we would probably be looking at a different outcome. Its been baffling.

I agree 100% teams just do not even worry about us going down field and just smother us and if they do complete a pass they are wrapped up instantly almost all the time. To me that just goes back to coaching. The play calling is bad and rather then put dirt in the hole they just kept digging.

I just found a two deep roster from 2010. How many of this year's team would have even started on that 8-5 team? A few, but not enough. I don't even want to consider the Orange Bowl team.

IOWA OFFENSE
WR ....... 15 Johnson-Koulianos, 22 Sandeman
LT ......... 77 Reiff, 69 Haganman
LG ........ 63 Vandervelde, 59 Boffeli
C….…. 53 Ferentz, 67 Koeppel
RG ........ 67 Koeppel, 76 MacMillan
RT ........ 56 Zusevics, 70 Van Sloten
TE ......... 82 Reisner, 39 Herman
QB ........ 12 Stanzi, 16 Vandenberg
WR ....... 7 McNutt, 6 K. Davis
RB ........ 32 Robinson, 34 Coker
FB……… 36 Morse, 38 Rogers

IOWA DEFENSE
DE ........ 94 Clayborn, 58 Daniel
DT ........ 95 Klug, 54 Bigach
DT ........ 93 Daniels, 87 Nardo
DE ........ 46 Ballard, 91 Binns
OLB ...... 37 DiBona, 97 Petersen
MLB ..... 44 Morris, 33 Tarpinian
WLB ..... 42 Hunter, 48 T. Johnson
LC ......... 28 Prater, 2 Cas llo
SS ......... 9 Sash, 13 Donatell
FS ......... 30 Greenwood, 49 Miller
RC ........ 18 Hyde, 19 Lowery

PT……… 5 Donahue, 6 Guthrie
PK ........ 96 Meyer, 8 Mossbrucker

More...

It is always the jims and joes. Sure coaching has something to do with it, but 90% is the personnel. The only reason Saban is considered a coaching god is because he has the best players on his side.

But with that said the jims and joes are a direct result of the coaches at the college level because they choose who they want to bring in.

In some of the games this year, the talent differential between the hawks and other teams seemed pretty dramatic. PSU just absolutely dominated that game in every way. Clearly, Michigan did as well. The DTs from Purdon't had their way with Iowa's O line at times. (That one isn't fair, I suppose, because Short is a great DT, and Iowa has had injuries). At any rate, I think coaching has been a factor, but talent has been a much, much bigger factor.

Indiana looked every bit as talented as Iowa, as did ISU, NIU, etc.

I just found a two deep roster from 2010. How many of this year's team would have even started on that 8-5 team? A few, but not enough. I don't even want to consider the Orange Bowl team.

IOWA OFFENSE

IOWA DEFENSE

Historically, I don't think Iowa wins a lot of games without an outstanding D line. Look at this D line. wow.

Most of the season I was leaning towards X's & O's. I knew this was a young team and I thought we would struggle to a 7-5/6-6 type of season. I was just hoping to see improvement as the season went on. For most of the Ferentz era, we've seen the team improve steadily throughout the 12 game seasons. After watching the Michigan game my belief is that the issue this year is 99% talent, or lack thereof. Slow and unathletic is the best way I can describe it. I think someone mentioned it in this thread, but how did some of these guys earn scholarships to a fairly successful B1G school? A lot of them are really good stories, and nice kids. I wonder, after the City Boyz Inc era, did the recruiting focus shift towards "high character, good classroom guys" over pure talent? I know it's a bit of an exaggeration, but you do have to wonder a bit.

On defense we have some real talent problems - at all three levels.

On offense I think it was more schematic - I still put alot of it on Vandenburg however. People want to blame Greg Davis completley - but all you have to do is look at "hawkeye gamefilm" to see how JVB grades out.

IOWA OFFENSE

IOWA DEFENSE

4 NFL d-lineman that either start or play quite a bit. What was our record that year?

I am convinced that the talent level is the major reason for our poor season. As to Vandenberg: Although I don't believe he was a great QB last year, I also do not believe he is as bad as he played this year. I do blame the coaching staff for not being able to "coach him up" into the new system. The coaches had an experienced, intelligent QB who is a film rat and they made no progress with him throughout the entire season. (See PSU's QB w/new coach/system). No excuse for that. I would say the same for the receivers...not great athletes, but certainly not well coached, either. The biggest mystery to me is the linebacker corps. I thought they would be a strength of the team, but turned out to be, at best, very average. How much of their poor performance was their talent level and how much was the fact the defensive line did not keep the second level blocking off of them is an unknown for an observer like me.

IOWA OFFENSE

IOWA DEFENSE

Not a scout or anything, but the only players from our team this year staring in 2010 are Hyde and Morris on defense, and probably Ferentz on offense.

Im going with X's and O's because I think its a terribly coached team. Iowa's talent isnt great, but its good enough to have at least 7 wins with this pathetic schedule.

Latest posts