Jaylon Gibson

#1DieHardHawk

Very interesting player we were recruiting for this class that initially committed to Wake Forest. He recently decommited after Manning was let go and apparently Fran is pursuing him pretty hard.

I don't know where would find room unless Patrick or Connor go off of scholarship, but he's an intriguing big with athleticism and a nice skillset. High ceiling player. He would be an outstanding addition if we can pull it off.

We could definitely use a talented big since we really only have Garza. There is potential with Nunge but he has to stay on the court first. Thanks for the info @#1DieHardHawk

Here's the Tweet that got the ball rolling on the Iowa interest. It would be a nice get, but I don't think there's a lot of traction here.

Yeah, it's probably nothing, but he definitely held us in high regard prior to committing to Wake. Here is a statement from an interview with him around that time:

..."Coach [Fran] McCaffery offered me and said Coach Dillard saw me play recently and told him about me and he saw film of me, ... Once Coach [Sherman] Dillard built a relationship with me and my mom he saw what type of person and player I was and he wanted me in a Hawkeye jersey. What stands out to me is what Coach McCaffery said I would be able to do there and how he wouldn’t suppress my skill set and that he would help me develop them further."

Probably just smoke at this point, but it does show that we were more than just a passing interest for him.

He definitely likes Iowa. I think the sticking point could be distance from home. Need to get him on campus and not sure when that can happen.

Son, with Luka back, we're going to be firing on all cylinders. Do you want to win a Big Ten Championship? Do you want to develop like Garza. Come to Iowa.
You'd think that's the pitch right there. I mean what else do you want? Fran has a fun up and down system. He'll go with the hot hand in the course of games. Be it Luka, JW, JBo. Going back to Moss when he'd get hot he'd let him go. Coach absolutely has your back. Once you're on the team your family. Say what you want about Fran but his teams all get the meaning of the word team.

Garza should be a one man recruiting banner for us in a lot of ways. WIth him coming back (I'm assuming that) and Iowa being a top 10 team hopefully all yr long how can recruits not be enticed by what Iowa has to offer.

Yeah, it's probably nothing, but he definitely held us in high regard prior to committing to Wake. Here is a statement from an interview with him around that time:

..."Coach [Fran] McCaffery offered me and said Coach Dillard saw me play recently and told him about me and he saw film of me, ... Once Coach [Sherman] Dillard built a relationship with me and my mom he saw what type of person and player I was and he wanted me in a Hawkeye jersey. What stands out to me is what Coach McCaffery said I would be able to do there and how he wouldn’t suppress my skill set and that he would help me develop them further."

Probably just smoke at this point, but it does show that we were more than just a passing interest for him.
Perhaps we can have Luka's dad help him work on his "skill set."

That would be worth its weight in gold.

Rob tweeted today that Fran says his roster is set for this fall which one could assume means no Jaylon Gibson. Still that might be a true statement until it is no longer true.

The article below is current and it says there are no favorites at this point and that those that recruited him before have no advantage. The kid almost seems too nice.

Shades of Kevin Huerter, I could see him at Maryland.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/article242398006.html

Jaylon Gibson
@JaylonGibson22

Announcement coming this Thursday...

1f440.svg