James Franklin to Penn State

Sooby

VandySports's Chris Lee: Franklin-to-PSU is a Done Deal, Recent Posturing is a "Farce" - Anchor Of Gold

Chris Lee is good friend of mine and has worked at Vandysports.com for the past 11 years.
He's like the Jon Miller of Vanderbilt, except that Chris has worked for the same website the past 11 years. :)

Living in Nashville, this is a home run hire for Penn State.
James changed the culture at Vanderbilt, but still couldn't get fans to show up to the games, and the stadium only seats 40K and tickets start around $25/game.
His energy, passion and enthusiasm is contagious. I'm not a Vandy fan, but whenever he was on the radio, I would listen.

Bill O'Brien had that great season last year with PSU, but expect PSU to be in the mix of the B1G East, as long as he is there.

Good hire for Penn State, hopefully the fans there can get their heads out of their butts and stop with all the JoePa crap. I think the JoePa crowd is a big reason why Bill O'Brien pursued a different job.

Not sure this is over. Saw a tweet that the rumored deal Vandy is prepared to offer Franklin is 10 years $50,000,000
[h=3]Updated 12:08 p.m.[/h] Vanderbilt football coach James Franklin is supposed to meet with athletics director David Williams, mega-booster John Ingram and perhaps a few other boosters or Board of Trust members later today.

Ingram, one of university’s most generous donors and influential people, said Friday morning that the meeting would take place in Nashville and stressed the need for resolving Franklin’s situation quickly.

“We love James and we’re fighting hard to keep James, and we’re going to do everything that we can to do that,” Ingram said. “These situations don’t age well for anybody. I think the coach needs to make a decision. Vanderbilt needs a decision. Penn State needs a decision.

“We certainly look forward to an opportunity to reiterate to James how much we’d like him to stay. I think this has to be resolved quickly, and hopefully it will.”
Ingram added that he thinks Vanderbilt’s football program stacks up favorably with Penn State at this time.

“I understand that from a traditional perspective, the media scoffs and says Penn State is a whole lot better place to be than Vanderbilt. I would say from a historical perspective, that’s true. But I would fight anyone from this point forward (that Vanderbilt is just as good),” Ingram said.

That contract is huge but he will probably make more per year at Penn State when you consider the other revenue streams beyond base salary. And the length doesn't mean much unless its all guaranteed, which I highly doubt.

VandySports's Chris Lee: Franklin-to-PSU is a Done Deal, Recent Posturing is a "Farce" - Anchor Of Gold

Chris Lee is good friend of mine and has worked at Vandysports.com for the past 11 years.
He's like the Jon Miller of Vanderbilt, except that Chris has worked for the same website the past 11 years. :)

Living in Nashville, this is a home run hire for Penn State.
James changed the culture at Vanderbilt, but still couldn't get fans to show up to the games, and the stadium only seats 40K and tickets start around $25/game.
His energy, passion and enthusiasm is contagious. I'm not a Vandy fan, but whenever he was on the radio, I would listen.

Bill O'Brien had that great season last year with PSU, but expect PSU to be in the mix of the B1G East, as long as he is there.

Would it be a home run hire for Penn State if you lived somewhere other than Nashville?

Would it be a home run hire for Penn State if you lived somewhere other than Nashville?

Yes. Franklin is one of the best coaches in the country and will do some great things at PSU. He took a hapless Vandy program that hadn't done anything for 30 years and turned them into winners. Now he has more talent at his dispense and better reruits to choose from, better facilities, and one of he bigges brand names in college football. PSU hit a home run with this hire.

isn't there a rape scandal going on at Vandy right now? boy i bet PSU would love to inherit some more bad publicity.

Franklin is certainly a very good recruiter. More emphasis these days on finding that trait within the head coaching candidates than a couple decades ago. Recruiting has gotten much more competitive in any number of aspects.

Even within the BIG we have seen hires in recent years that show more emphasis on not only football success on the field but off the field as well.......Wilson, Hazell, Meyer, and Andersen all have reputations as strong recruiters prior to their appointment in the BIG and now you can add Franklin.

i just looked it up and Vandy has the #24 ranked recruiting class coming in. any chance he gets some of those guys to follow him to Penn St? also, when was the last time Iowa was in the top 25? 2005?

This year has had some awesome coaching changes. I hope Vandy has a back-up plan. Franklin is taking recruits with him.

Yes. Franklin is one of the best coaches in the country and will do some great things at PSU. He took a hapless Vandy program that hadn't done anything for 30 years and turned them into winners. Now he has more talent at his dispense and better reruits to choose from, better facilities, and one of he bigges brand names in college football. PSU hit a home run with this hire.

Wasn't asking you.

I've lived in Nashville, since 2000, and am not a Vanderbilt, but have seen, first-hand, the impact he has had in Nashville.
There was very little talk about the new Titans coach, but all the buzz was about James Franklin.
Never thought I'd see the day where Vandy would be talked about more than the Titans.

I've been to Vanderbilt stadium twice, and I cheered for MTSU both times.

Latest posts