Jackson Stratton QB

Zstatman

I see some reports that we has received a commitment from a new QB to the program, Jackson Stratton.

Interesting background, he played HS ball at La Jolla HS in San Diego, which must be a fun place to go. He was recruited out of HS by Jay Norvell when he was at Nevada, but Stratton chose to commit at Washington. The Huskies fired their coach and hired DeBoers, who took them to the title game last year. And, although he had been committed 8 months or so, DeBoers pulled the scholarship offer from Stratton making him a free agent late in the game.

Then Norvell and Stratton reconnected with Norvell having moved on to Colorado St. He committed and spent the last two years there but didn't play much.

Stratton is a gunslinger who likes to throw the ball. He adds depth to the QB room. It will be interesting to see how he comes in and competes. I wish him well. All of a sudden, the QB room is looking pretty healthy.

Does this mean Pat's kid isn't a valid QB?

I owuldn't think this means a thing about Pat's kid. He still has a year of high school left. Plus he's walking on so expectations shouldn't be too great.

And, in today's college world, turnover happens so fast, you are always retooling the roster.

If I was Lainez I'd be scratching my head. How much eligibility do these QB's have left. You would think that would affect how Lainez maybe looking at things at this point.

I would also guess that Lester knows exactly what he wants in a QB. Now if most of these guys are gone in a year or two then Lainez might not be bothered by these recent pickups.

I see some reports that we has received a commitment from a new QB to the program, Jackson Stratton.

Interesting background, he played HS ball at La Jolla HS in San Diego, which must be a fun place to go. He was recruited out of HS by Jay Norvell when he was at Nevada, but Stratton chose to commit at Washington. The Huskies fired their coach and hired DeBoers, who took them to the title game last year. And, although he had been committed 8 months or so, DeBoers pulled the scholarship offer from Stratton making him a free agent late in the game.

Then Norvell and Stratton reconnected with Norvell having moved on to Colorado St. He committed and spent the last two years there but didn't play much.

Stratton is a gunslinger who likes to throw the ball. He adds depth to the QB room. It will be interesting to see how he comes in and competes. I wish him well. All of a sudden, the QB room is looking pretty healthy.
I was just getting ready to post this news.

Stratton has 3 years of eligibility left. I think Sullivan two.

I would guess all the QBs are being told they will have the opportunity to compete.

You have to wonder what Lester does think about Lainez. I'd like to know the true status of Cade's knee? But only just a couple short months ago there was plenty of angst here in HN about our dearth of QBs let alone their talent. Now that doesn't appear to be an issue.

Interesting that Stratton evidently couldn't crack the depth chart at Colorado St, at least from what it appears. I wondered a little bit If Norvell, in trying to help Stratton, may have contacted someone he knows in Iowa football and asked about at least giving Stratton a look. It would seem Lester liked what he saw.

Don't summer workouts begin here in the next couple of weeks. That's when all these new guys will start their learning process. Only a couple months to fall camp.

Stratton has 3 years of eligibility left. I think Sullivan two.

I would guess all the QBs are being told they will have the opportunity to compete.

You have to wonder what Lester does think about Lainez. I'd like to know the true status of Cade's knee? But only just a couple short months ago there was plenty of angst here in HN about our dearth of QBs let alone their talent. Now that doesn't appear to be an issue.

Interesting that Stratton evidently couldn't crack the depth chart at Colorado St, at least from what it appears. I wondered a little bit If Norvell, in trying to help Stratton, may have contacted someone he knows in Iowa football and asked about at least giving Stratton a look. It would seem Lester liked what he saw.

Don't summer workouts begin here in the next couple of weeks. That's when all these new guys will start their learning process. Only a couple months to fall camp.

Yes, from what I read on the web the workouts do start pretty soon.

I will believe Cade is ready when I see it. Reminds me of the Iowa women’s basketball player that was suppose to be ready to play in the post season and then she didn’t play at all except a token appearance in the last couple of minutes of the championship game. Maybe we are picking up extra QB’s for a reason.

Sounds like Stratton is going to fit in well with our QB room.

4 of 17 for his career is a needed improvement over Deacon going 6 of 21 against Purdon't.

This is welcome news. Until we get the QB right, this offense will never have a pulse. Our starter is fragile, and his two back-ups have a nice combination of experience for one and upside for the other. But, no one outside of our fragile starter has demonstrated he is a top end Big 10 QB. Depth is great. Competition brings out the best in everyone. As far as Lainez, he will get his shot like everyone else. I believe our new OC is going to be more open minded to playing the best guy. The cream will rise.

If I was Lainez I'd be scratching my head. How much eligibility do these QB's have left. You would think that would affect how Lainez maybe looking at things at this point.

I would also guess that Lester knows exactly what he wants in a QB. Now if most of these guys are gone in a year or two then Lainez might not be bothered by these recent pickups.
That was the first thing I thought too but this kid is walking on. We are still over the 85 limit I think. Hard to say what it means besides they wanted to add an arm to the room and they have. I think our top 2 are pretty much cemented but beyond that it's a crapshoot that I hope we don't have to really figure out and see play out on the field

Given his limited stats, I can't envision this guy being the next great Iowa QB. But you never know. Let Tim Lester work with him and see what develops. I think this is more about getting another body in the room. Like everyone else I'm sure he will be given the chance to compete for the job. If I'm Lainez I'm probably not too concerned and he knows he'll have to earn the job anyway.

Given his limited stats, I can't envision this guy being the next great Iowa QB. But you never know. Let Tim Lester work with him and see what develops. I think this is more about getting another body in the room. Like everyone else I'm sure he will be given the chance to compete for the job. If I'm Lainez I'm probably not too concerned and he knows he'll have to earn the job anyway.
As an old track man, there is one truth when you are in the middle of the pack: worry about the guys in front of you, not the guys behind you......

I have never understood most FB coach's aversion to playing multiple QBs, at least until you know you who your starter is for certain. KF is the worst. I get that QB is the most important position on the field, but that doesn't mean that you can't rotate a couple guys if they are both competent with the playbook. You do it in practice. This is especially true when you are playing one of those preseason games against a non Power-5 team. Rotate your back-up in and see if he brings a spark.

Jim Harbaugh is annoying, but a damn good coach. In his career, he has had no problem allowing QB competitions to go through camp and even into the season until he knew who his guy was. Frankly, if I was a coach I would give one series in the first half to my back-up as a matter of course just to make sure he has experience and is ready if I need him.

Latest posts