Izzo Post Game

koolhandlick

Last night Izzo made an interesting comment during his post-game interview on BTN. He said that over the years his teams have been able to change up their style of play from game to game depending on the situation. " In one game we can play race horse basketball and in the next we can go out and play smash mouth." If a coach as successful as he has been can make changes to their (SYSTEM) and still win then why is Lick so reluctant to do so ?

Last night Izzo made an interesting comment during his post-game interview on BTN. He said that over the years his teams have been able to change up their style of play from game to game depending on the situation. " In one game we can play race horse basketball and in the next we can go out and play smash mouth." If a coach as successful as he has been can make changes to their (SYSTEM) and still win then why is Lick so reluctant to do so ?

Give Lick Michigan St. roster, and I think he would be able to change up his style game to game. Give Izzo Iowa's roster, and see if he comes our running and gunning........Just saying.......

1. Licks "system" is a 1/2 court set system
2. Izzo doesn't really change is 1/2 court system when he plays run and gun. He allows his team to push the pace, however if they have to settle for running 1/2 court sets I don't think Izzo really changes anything on the 1/2 court offense. He would attack weak spots, but any offense should do that
3. I do think Iowa should push the pace a tad bit more when they have the opportunity. I think Iowa's 1/2 court offense is so bad against good teams that I would like to see them get some easy baskets. It wouldn't be so bad getting maybe 8-10 fastbreak points a game.
4. Iowa does not have the talent/depth to play a run and gun game.
5. I think I would like to see Lick adapt his 1/2 court offense though which is where I agree with your statement about Lick being stuck on his "system"

I don't know what really is the best thing for Iowa at this point. They don't have a guy who can create, nor do they have a post player who you can just feed the ball to and say go get it. Iowa is probably best running ball screens, and maybe running high low stuff with big men. I would like to see Aaron Fuller get/take some more 12-15 foot shots. I think he would be a good guy to find openings/work off screens to get some open jump shots.

Iowa just doesn't have the talent at this point, so even if Lick were to try some different sets I doubt it helps THAT much. Maybe teams only win by 8 instead of 17.............

At this point just hope the recruiting class in the real deal. It's going to be a long rest of the season.

The best way to win when you are outgunned (can there be any debate that Iowa is) is to slow the game down and limit posessions for both sides. The fewer possessions each team has the closer the game is and the more likely Iowa can win.

I don't think anyone can fault the strategy of slowing everything down and running 1/2 court sets all game long. It takes away some chances at easy buckets but it also gives us the best chance to win.

Are you serious? Compare the assets that Lick has compared to what Izzo has. Do you think this Iowa team can play race horse BB or smashmouth BB right now? Heck, they are lucky to just be able to play BB, right now.