It's not you it's us.

SCHAWKDOG

Does anybody else have the feeling that in regards to Iowa Basketball it has been and is going to be a classic case of it's not you it's me/us? The me/us being Iowa. Alford and Lickliter both have success until they get to Iowa, and so far Alford has had success since leaving Iowa. That tells me it wasn't him but us. You can't tell me that Butler and New Mexico have recruiting advantages over Iowa. Or that Northern Iowa has a recruiting advantage over Iowa.

If Pierre Pierce never set foot on the Iowa campus, Steve Alford is still the Iowa coach.

This is the fallacy about Alford. It wasn't his arrogance, it wasn't the lack of winning, it was the fact that an arrogant guy that didn't win a ton let a guy who raped a female athlete back on the team.

I knew a guy who worked at Carver around that time, and CHA was not a happy place.

Does anybody else have the feeling that in regards to Iowa Basketball it has been and is going to be a classic case of it's not you it's me/us? The me/us being Iowa. Alford and Lickliter both have success until they get to Iowa, and so far Alford has had success since leaving Iowa. That tells me it wasn't him but us. You can't tell me that Butler and New Mexico have recruiting advantages over Iowa. Or that Northern Iowa has a recruiting advantage over Iowa.

What string of success did either of them have before coming to Iowa? I only remember a successful year by each, which was the year leading into when they came to Iowa...... Hmmmm I wonder if that helps back my point to hire someone proven.....????

If Pierre Pierce never set foot on the Iowa campus, Steve Alford is still the Iowa coach.

This is the fallacy about Alford. It wasn't his arrogance, it wasn't the lack of winning, it was the fact that an arrogant guy that didn't win a ton let a guy who raped a female athlete back on the team.

I knew a guy who worked at Carver around that time, and CHA was not a happy place.

Wrong

What string of success did either of them have before coming to Iowa? I only remember a successful year by each, which was the year leading into when they came to Iowa...... Hmmmm I wonder if that helps back my point to hire someone proven.....????

When has that worked for Iowa?

Pretending that location isn't a variable in this equation doesn't make it non-existent.

I'm just saying there is a good coach, bad coach, right coach, and wrong coach. We can quote every stat there is. Sometimes it's the intangibles.

Okay.. I get your point now. Its just my opinion, but I would like to try someone who is proven this time. Since I have seen the results of unproven. Again, just my opinion

Okay.. I get your point now. Its just my opinion, but I would like to try someone who is proven this time. Since I have seen the results of unproven. Again, just my opinion

And I wouldn't think of depriving you of your opinion.

I just don't think the typical college basketball coach mindset fits very well at Iowa. The problem with our last couple hires isn't that they were unproven... it's that they were riding a tide. We took a chance on the prettiest gal at the ball. Sure, if you get them in the sack you get to brag about it. But once you're stuck with her, you're stuck with her.

I won't continue with this line of metaphors for all our sakes.

I'm just saying... Iowa is no catch. Just look at our football team. We're good. But not because we look good doing it. It's because our coaches want to be here. They care about Iowa (the state and its fans) and are willing to persevere the bad times with us common folk. A huge hire would be just that. A hire. Personally, I think we need someone to give this program a persona.

Latest posts