It's nice to see someone can identify a fake punt coming.

The Wisky punt isn't comparable to Nebby's AT ALL. Stoops does pay great attention to detail, and Lee coming in motion makes it kind of obvious.

The Wisky punt isn't comparable to Nebby's AT ALL. Stoops does pay great attention to detail, and Lee coming in motion makes it kind of obvious.

It is comparable, I've spoken with several people who expected it against wisky, I've seen several people on these boards say they thought it was coming. I was in section 135 yelling, "FAKE" from the moment the wisky punt team ran onto the field.
Wisky was even more spread out than normal for their punt. "Not comparable" no way.

It is comparable, I've spoken with several people who expected it against wisky, I've seen several people on these boards say they thought it was coming. I was in section 135 yelling, "FAKE" from the moment the wisky punt team ran onto the field.
Wisky was even more spread out than normal for their punt. "Not comparable" no way.

Yes way...Wisconsin's was done straight up, out of a standard punt formation with the punter running the ball in a situation where everyone but the Iowa coaches and players were looking for a possible fake...Nebraska's was something anyone could've called a timeout on the second a guy went in motion.

Yes way...Wisconsin's was done straight up, out of a standard punt formation with the punter running the ball in a situation where everyone but the Iowa coaches and players were looking for a possible fake...Nebraska's was something anyone could've called a timeout on the second a guy went in motion.

"where everyone buy the Iowa coaches and players were looking for a possible fake"
this is part of what makes them "comparable." late game situations where a first down would be huge and where punting the ball away might mean never getting it back. Admitting that we were looking for it shows that they are comparable situations.

"where everyone buy the Iowa coaches and players were looking for a possible fake"
this is part of what makes them "comparable." late game situations where a first down would be huge and where punting the ball away might mean never getting it back. Admitting that we were looking for it shows that they are comparable situations.

Not really...the only thing comparable was that they both started out in punt formation. I will give you this though, I'm not sure our coaches would've called a timeout...probably would've stared at it and collectively thought "hmm...that doesn't look good"...

Should we have suspected it? Given the situation, yes. But there was no "tell" on the field that said they were running a fake. Most fans "called it" because it made sense in that situation, NOT because they saw something obvious (like the BACKUP QB coming in motion across the field) in the formation. OU was CLEARLY not expecting a fake (otherwise there was no need to call a timeout), and if Nebraska had run a straight fake, Stoops probably doesn't call timeout.

And if Stoops is somehow a great coach for that timeout, was he a complete dumbf*ck when he went for it on 4th down twice and failed miserably?

Should we have suspected it? Given the situation, yes. But there was no "tell" on the field that said they were running a fake. Most fans "called it" because it made sense in that situation, NOT because they saw something obvious (like the BACKUP QB coming in motion across the field) in the formation. OU was CLEARLY not expecting a fake (otherwise there was no need to call a timeout), and if Nebraska had run a straight fake, Stoops probably doesn't call timeout.

Wisky was spread out more for that punt than in their previous formations--freeing up the middle more.

Two reasons why everyone knew the fake was coming:

1) The situation.
2) Watch the replay, you'll see that the snap was delayed so the middle blocker could call out the audible for the fake--he clearly shouts to both sides of the field. After the game, Bielema said that he gave them permission to call it if they saw Iowa in "return mode." Enough said.

I was yelling watch for the fake the minute the special teams came on the field, but once I saw that blocker yelling, I starting yelling that they are going to fake it.

Perhaps I'm being a pit hyperbolic, but I think that fake punt impacted our season more than anything else.

Wisky was spread out more for that punt than in their previous formations--freeing up the middle more.

That's a pretty subtle difference, and definitely one that would be tough to spot from the sideline (particularly when KF is usually on the LOS). That's easier to be seen from the stands. Stoops thought something was up with Lee being out there, and had his eye on him the whole way. The two fakes are COMPLETELY different.

Nebraska's would have been cool, but it had next to no chance to work because it was so obvious.

It wasn't just BB that fooled the 4mil$ man. There were several times Iowa had the advantage and the coaches failed to adapt. Remember Pryor on 4th and 10? How many Hawks were surprised when he made a first down? I'm sure no one on the Ohio State side was surprised. Kirk prides himself on not being creative. This results in our fans blaming the coordinators instead of the person they answer to

Two reasons why everyone knew the fake was coming:

1) The situation.
2) Watch the replay, you'll see that the snap was delayed so the middle blocker could call out the audible for the fake--he clearly shouts to both sides of the field. After the game, Bielema said that he gave them permission to call it if they saw Iowa in "return mode." Enough said.

I was yelling watch for the fake the minute the special teams came on the field, but once I saw that blocker yelling, I starting yelling that they are going to fake it.

Perhaps I'm being a pit hyperbolic, but I think that fake punt impacted our season more than anything else.

Agreed. In that thread a week or two ago that asked what the turning point in the season was, I felt like the fake punt was so obvious that it was almost cliche.

ok, I give up. the point of the thread is being able to identify a fake punt coming--thus the title. I gave credit to the coach for calling a timeout. the point was not that they were the same exact play call--just a fake punt. seems like those disagreeing with me could just look at their own words and realize I'm right .

It wasn't just BB that fooled the 4mil$ man. There were several times Iowa had the advantage and the coaches failed to adapt. Remember Pryor on 4th and 10? How many Hawks were surprised when he made a first down? I'm sure no one on the Ohio State side was surprised. Kirk prides himself on not being creative. This results in our fans blaming the coordinators instead of the person they answer to

Kirk makes more than we do and gets paid like a top level BCS coach...get over it.

Pryor is an elite athlete, and he made a play that elite athletes make. Hyde could have probably come up more aggressively. But playing a spy takes a backer (or Sash) out of coverage. The way Sanzenbacher and Posey were getting open, that wouldn't have been a good thing.

ok, I give up. the point of the thread is being able to identify a fake punt coming--thus the title. I gave credit to the coach for calling a timeout. the point was not that they were the same exact play call--just a fake punt. seems like those disagreeing with me could just look at their own words and realize I'm right .

Damn right...claim you're right and those who disagree just can't see it...walk off shot, bro! Let it die with that one!

And the point of our responses is that Nebraska's was EASY to spot. Makes the situations difficult to compare.

Latest posts