It's "Grind Time" in the B10

WinOneThisCentury

So, you have played everyone once and are now playing all teams for the second time through...all your stuff is out there, so there is no mystery to anything you are doing offensively or defensively. Games just become a grind like we have been seeing...and coming down to the last possessions. Iowa has been fortunate to make the plays necessary down the stretch, mostly due to Bohannon's heroics, although everything is clutch in a tight game in the last 3 minutes...especially when you are behind.

That being said, Iowa needs to do a couple of things in these coming games to get some separation.

1) Take care of the ball and stop the silly turnovers when you have momentum.
2) Shoot the ball better from everywhere. Outside of Bohannon against Indiana...2 of 16 from three. The team has just not shot the ball well the last three games...and won two of them.
3) Hit the front end of the one and one. Against Maryland it probably cost us the game.

Defensively...i think the team has played really really well since NW. Maryland got a few fortunate breaks right at the end of the clock with desperation shots that went down...but we are consistently defending the entire shot clock...very few breakdowns. It's been impressive.

GRIND TIME!!

tenor.gif

So, you have played everyone once and are now playing all teams for the second time through...all your stuff is out there, so there is no mystery to anything you are doing offensively or defensively. Games just become a grind like we have been seeing...and coming down to the last possessions. Iowa has been fortunate to make the plays necessary down the stretch, mostly due to Bohannon's heroics, although everything is clutch in a tight game in the last 3 minutes...especially when you are behind.

That being said, Iowa needs to do a couple of things in these coming games to get some separation.

1) Take care of the ball and stop the silly turnovers when you have momentum.
2) Shoot the ball better from everywhere. Outside of Bohannon against Indiana...2 of 16 from three. The team has just not shot the ball well the last three games...and won two of them.
3) Hit the front end of the one and one. Against Maryland it probably cost us the game.

Defensively...i think the team has played really really well since NW. Maryland got a few fortunate breaks right at the end of the clock with desperation shots that went down...but we are consistently defending the entire shot clock...very few breakdowns. It's been impressive.
Agree with most of this. We had a critical defensive breakdown late in the Maryland game when Cowan blew by JBo and got into the lane.

In retrospect, it may have been better for the ball to have been off Wiescamp's hands on that monitor review against Maryland. Fran could have subbed Connor or Maishe in for JBo. Or was that when Maryland called timeout? Does anyone remember?

You are absolutely right, it is grind time. What I am finding so impressive this year is that all of the big ten coaches have their teams playing hard. I havent seen any signs of anyone mailing it in, and so all of these games left are going to be tough for everyone. There are no gimmies. I have enjoyed watching all of these games, not just the Iowa ones, for that reason.

Agree with most of this. We had a critical defensive breakdown late in the Maryland game when Cowan blew by JBo and got into the lane.

In retrospect, it may have been better for the ball to have been off Wiescamp's hands on that monitor review against Maryland. Fran could have subbed Connor or Maishe in for JBo. Or was that when Maryland called timeout? Does anyone remember?

I’m fairly certain Maryland called a timeout. I know there was a dead ball because I remember thinking to myself that I was surprised that they didn’t sub JBo out

Meanwhile ISU continues to drop games against unranked teams. Sorry, they are not better than Iowa right now.

Latest posts