Is there a way to block a certain forum?

hawkeye12345

I like the format when I login to the website. You get a birdseye view of the latest topics and conversations that are taking place but there is one specific forum that I have absolutely no interest in following and it seems to be occupying a lot of space as of late.

Could you make that forum a subscribe only like you did with the politics board or could you figure out a way for users to block the forum so that it doesn't appear on the screen and occupy space?

Thanks.

I dont think so, but I am thinking of making the forum landing page where you choose what forum you want to go to..I realize that was not popular...but considering it

I dont think so, but I am thinking of making the forum landing page where you choose what forum you want to go to..I realize that was not popular...but considering it

I hate that idea. For one thing nobody posts in the right fourms anyway, so you would be constantly moving topics around, plus the birds eye view lets you check out all thats new with one click. It does have draw backs as far as two post on the same thing, but overall it's much better the way it is.
This is just like the OSU deal or after a loss, you just have to wade thru all the BS. If you want to do anything try and get everyone to post in the right fourms. All that PSU, ISU bull should be in a B10 fourm or the rivalry fourm.
I have been getting lax on using the right fourms as well, because nobody else uses the right fourms.

Not a fan of that. That makes you migrate through all of the forums to see what people are talking about. The "Other" site is like that it gets old clicking through all of the forums just to find out that there are a bunch of old topics still lingering near the top.

I like what you did with the politics forum. You subscribe or you don't. In this case you could make the forum not to be mentioned or any other forums that could be considered non-primary forums to be subscribe only.

Ticket Exchange, Rasslin, Rivalry would fall under this concept. Of course Football, Basketball and Off Topic are probably the staples of most sports sites so you keep those tied to the main page. In addition, if you subscribe to certain forums like politics, rasslin, rivalry and ticket exchange then those would also appear on your personal webpage.

FYI - it could also be a precursor to doing a fee based subscription. You can come to hawkeyenation for your football, basketball and off topic conversations but if you want to participate in the more fringe topics then you pay a small one-time access fee.

Jon,

You could do an opt-out, rather than an opt-in for all non-politics forums for registered users. I'd definitely hate to see you move away from the free-for-all landing page. It brings my attention to a lot of good threads that I would have otherwise missed.

Just my $0.02.

LOL. this is always a fun topic ;)

Perhaps an opt in on off topic is not a bad idea. Will consider.

We will be moving to a new message board software in the spring, so I need to investigate these options.

For an example of that software, visit The Boneyard

Worst idea ever. A lot of people hop on here during work and can check everything out in a few minutes. If you change it no longer will this be able to happen...I'd be sad

LOL. this is always a fun topic ;)

Perhaps an opt in on off topic is not a bad idea. Will consider.

We will be moving to a new message board software in the spring, so I need to investigate these options.

For an example of that software, visit The Boneyard

Setup an opt-in for all boards other than Football and Basketball for registered users. For non-registered users, leave the landing page as it is. That way those that aren't registered can see a general overview of what the site is about. For those of us that visit more often than we should it would allow us to customize the site to fit our tastes. FYI - it annoys the living hell out of me to come to the site and see 7 or 8 topics on rasslin'.

Opt-in for registered users would be a cool tool to have.

Latest posts