Is there a good ref with all the B1G Coaching salaries???

InGoodCo

Most of the stuff I find doing a quick google search seems quite a bit out of date. But I am starting to wonder just how good of a deal Iowa is getting with this current coaching staff? I mean, we always hear from posters about what bad deal's Iowa athletics makes with their coaches, and some of them have been pretty bad at least from prospective wise. Also the timing of them. But, maybe when the coach is kind of down as far as prospective wise is the best time to sign a coach? I don't know, always been fascinated by this dichotomy of Iowa athletics. Now that we have the gift of hindsight and these contracts have come more to term, I think it's much more of a fair exercise to judge them.

I was able to find this article.

https://watchstadium.com/college-ba...uyout-database-for-2019-20-season-10-24-2019/

I don't know if Fran McCaffery was left off this list (he must have been) - but according to that he's not 1 of the top 127 paid coaches in college basketball. I don't believe that, so I think that list is inaccurate.... or at least I hope it is. Is there a better reference I should be looking at?

Fran has been a lot closer to having way more success than having a little less success. Those Gesell teams having no ability to win the close games cost us a couple seed lines at least in 3 straight tournaments. If they could have closed out games at an even average rate, they would probably have at least 2 sweet 16s and one conference championship. He would be looked at as more on Lute Olsens level than Tom Davis level. I could see plain as day back then that Fran was capable of putting a championship level team on the court. He almost did it once, but the players couldn't quite finish. Now he's done it again but the injuries screwed them. He will do it again next year if the guys come back. To win championships, you gotta field the team and catch the breaks. Fran has done pretty well at fielding the team.

I'm just wondering if there is a place that lists them all. I refuse to believe that Fran isn't in the top 127 ha.

I'm just wondering if there is a place that lists them all. I refuse to believe that Fran isn't in the top 127 ha.

I'm not aware of one that lists them all, but Fran's salary as of the 2018-2019 season was $2M. I don't know if there were automatic raises built in or not or if there's just incentives that provide for a lift in salary. In any case, he'd be somewhere between Richard Pitino at $2.1M (#40) and Greg Gard at $1.9M (#41).

I was trying to figure out what being a good ref has to do with Big10 coaching salaries....

yeah, poor choice of abbreviation there. I just was hoping to see where Fran stacked up current day to his peers in the conference. I feel like when the deal was signed, it was considered a pretty bad deal because of the buy out and because of the length. But, I feel like maybe now in retrospect, we are kind of getting Fran for a song and if he could just get us to the 2nd weekend of the dance, that's going to be even more 1 sided of a contract. He's underpaid and locked up - would another school have to pay his buy out? Or is that just if Iowa wanted to part ways?

Last edited:

Latest posts