Is the Big Ten done?

tmurph2643

I was leaving on vacation just as all the Nebraska crap happened. I heard Texas and the other guys decided to hang on to the big 12. So does that mean the big ten is going to stick with 12 teams, or does it all hinge on what Notre Dame decides to do??

The short answer is Yes, No, Maybe.

The popular theory is that the B10 is now back on its original timetable of 12 - 18 months and that if any more expansion happens they'll do it in phases.

I'd go back and read some of the threads from the last few weeks as well as Rittenberg's B10 Blog on ESPN. That should get you caught up in the fog of confusion.

The real question is not if they are done but what is the time frame and targe teams. I firmly believe the B10 has 1-2 select teams they wish to add and will be patient to a great extent making every attempt to secure those teams.

I think Notre Dame joins, causing the Big10 to kick Indiana out of the conference, further boosting the conference's ranking and keeping it at 12 teams.

Any team from the Big East that were to join would not be able to start until the 2013 season at the earliest and that is if they announce by June 1 of 2011. Given that Nebraska joins in 2011 and a 2 year home and away cycle would be 2013 I would wager that if more expansion is going to happen it will be announced sometime next Feb-May and will include at least 1 Big East team.

the Big Ten will NOT kick out an institution, to replace it with another (a non-AAU one at that.)...I hope that was a joke.

no city schools

wish list
ND

then
Mizzou
Rutgers
Maryland
Virginia

I think the VA gov't wants to keep UVA and VaTech together, but it's not like they have been together very long, and both schools would be better off if UVa goes to the BigTen and VaTech goes to the SEC (replacing Arkansas?)

Last edited:

Latest posts