Is rudock vandenberg 2.0?

Jonrn

After watching another miserable game all I can see is Vandenberg running slowly around.

1) incapable of finding anyone downfield after initial reads.

2) no ability to create a play with his feet

3) missing receivers beyond 5 yards at least 50% of pass plays

4) safe, but too safe throwing out of bounds with the slightest whisper of pressure

5) lack of athleticism

Maybe this is coaching. Maybe this isn't rudock or JVB...where are the Tate and stanzi style QB? Is that CJB? Or will he just turn into another Vandenberg?

Rudock is garbage, but he's a known quantity so I expect Kurt to keep playing him the rest of the year and Jon will keep defending him. No arm strength, no balls, but great at those check downs.

We are the masters of the 5 yard pass play. Anything longer than that has too many possible bad outcomes. We have the current Woody Hayes of offensive thinking, but without the talent to back it up.

I would disagree with 2 and 5. He actually has been scrambling fairly well. He is clearly athletic but the rest of it is spot on. I don't think his lack of a deep ball is losing games either. I hated Vandy he would fall to the ground the first sign of a blitz. This kid will take a hit or run for the first. I think our problem is the scheme. It's not Iowa football and never will be.

JVB could not run and had no pocket presence. Rudock can run and is not afraid to run.

With that said, Rudock seems to have regressed in his 2nd year starting just like JVB. Afraid to make mistakes. Throwing sideways.

Christensen 2.0. With CJ Beathard being stanzi.

I disagree. I think you are saying that you think Beathard should be playing just like Stanzi should have played..if that's the case you very well might be right.

As far as Rudock being compared to one of those former qb's I'd say that although he's still better..although give the coaching staff time, with their guidance he will likely continue to regress..Rudock is more comparable to Vandenburg. Christensen was just not very good at anything. He'd have a wide open guy in the flat 20 yards away and throw it in the dirt. Rudock can throw to shorter routes just fine. But when he has a pass play with open receivers down the field he checks down and throws it to the line of scrimmage. Same problem that Vandenburg had.

I'd say Jake is McCann 2.0. Nobody is ever going to beat out "worm killer" Christensen on the worst QB of the ferentz era. Regardless he is not a good QB and it's time for him to be benched. Instead he practices well and will start the rest of his career. Yup, i'm done giving Rudock chances after this game.

I don't know why you all are crapping on JR. As far as I'm concerned, our so-called vaunted defense absolutely sucked testes today. Robinson had absolutely all day to do whatever he wanted. Zero pressure

I think if we had our normal 150+ ypg bruising running game, Jake looks like a pretty good option at QB. He's gonna complete 2/3's of his passes, have a TD:Int ratio of 3+, and probably end up with one of the best QBRs in the Big Ten. Ferentz's wet dream, in other words. On a team racking up production in the running game, none of this is a criminal offense...but on this team, not producing on the ground the way it is, things are not looking good. We need a little risk taking at the QB position because we HAVE to find some production in the pass game. Jake is NOT a risk taker (which is exactly why he's in there).

In other words, I'm officially throwing my hat in with the "give CJB a chance" supporters.

I think Christensen was a step lower than Rudock. Rudock has actually won games and can execute a **** poor offense. Christensen could do neither.....I can see the McCann comparison though. Iowa really needs a QB like stanzi or Tate who could hang in there for an extra second and make a play. However I think those days are gone.

Vandenberg had two very good games, at Ohio State and the fourth quarter against Pitt when he looked like an All American candidate. Alas that was all. He would also throw the ball two feet from a wide open receiver on the ground quite a few times.....

I am not certain it is Ruddock's fault that there are almost no long passes. In high school. leading the number one undefeated team in America he would throw many long passes for touchdowns. Of course, he had some superior receivers. Wish we had them. Perhaps it is simply the offensive game plan. As someone said, like Woody Hayes, but instead of three yards and a cloud of dust, three yards and a pass completion and an immediate takedown.....

Vandenberg had two very good games, at Ohio State and the fourth quarter against Pitt when he looked like an All American candidate. Alas that was all. He would also throw the ball two feet from a wide open receiver on the ground quite a few times.....

I am not certain it is Ruddock's fault that there are almost no long passes. In high school. leading the number one undefeated team in America he would throw many long passes for touchdowns. Of course, he had some superior receivers. Wish we had them. Perhaps it is simply the offensive game plan. As someone said, like Woody Hayes, but instead of three yards and a cloud of dust, three yards and a pass completion and an immediate takedown.....

Very good points.

I know that the offensive coordinator is public enemy number one, and I can't disagree because any coach who has anything to do with this offense has failed. But something is going on with Rudock because there have been lots of plays where receivers are open down field and he checks down.

All any of us can do is guess but if I had to give a reason I'd say that they preach no turnovers to the point that the qb gets so scared of something bad happening that he won't pull the trigger.

Whether it's as simple as the scheme and play calling or if the coaches are just the worst at properly developing qb's and preparing them to have success I think it's irrelevant now. I don't think this sinking ship is gonna surface again.

After watching another miserable game all I can see is Vandenberg running slowly around.

1) incapable of finding anyone downfield after initial reads.

2) no ability to create a play with his feet

3) missing receivers beyond 5 yards at least 50% of pass plays

4) safe, but too safe throwing out of bounds with the slightest whisper of pressure

5) lack of athleticism

Maybe this is coaching. Maybe this isn't rudock or JVB...where are the Tate and stanzi style QB? Is that CJB? Or will he just turn into another Vandenberg?

You forgot #6. 6) starting QB has his nose up the coaches a$$.

I don't know why you all are crapping on JR. As far as I'm concerned, our so-called vaunted defense absolutely sucked testes today. Robinson had absolutely all day to do whatever he wanted. Zero pressure

Agree that the D didn't get any pressure and I am very disappointed by that. But, JR managed 3 points against Ball State for an entire effing game (3 minute miracle aside) and 3 points against in the second half against that mighty ISU defense.

Rudock is not a playmaker and doesn't get us into plays that produce either.

At some point you have say QB isn't at the level of B1G quarterback

I would disagree with 2 and 5. He actually has been scrambling fairly well. He is clearly athletic but the rest of it is spot on. I don't think his lack of a deep ball is losing games either. I hated Vandy he would fall to the ground the first sign of a blitz. This kid will take a hit or run for the first. I think our problem is the scheme. It's not Iowa football and never will be.

B.S. Iowa State ran this scheme today and beat Iowa. It ain't the scheme. Any scheme can work with the right personnel and commitment to the scheme.

I am paraphrasing but Machiavelli said never deal your enemy a slight injury. Iowa abandons what is working to "protect" a lead. You know what protects a lead? Scoring more. I've never seen a team lose that kept scoring touchdowns after they scored touchdowns.

Whether it's as simple as the scheme and play calling or if the coaches are just the worst at properly developing qb's and preparing them to have success I think it's irrelevant now. I don't think this sinking ship is gonna surface again.

Of course it's the coaching. O'Keefe was far better at developing talent than this clown Davis is. O'Keefe really had one bad year and that was 2007 when we had Jake C at QB, but it got better. '06 wasn't great due to Tate's injury, but when Tate was healthy we went toe to toe with Texas and darn near won. Jake r ain't that bad, but he just ain't a top tier MAC or Big Ten talent.

Of course it's the coaching. O'Keefe was far better at developing talent than this clown Davis is. O'Keefe really had one bad year and that was 2007 when we had Jake C at QB, but it got better. '06 wasn't great due to Tate's injury, but when Tate was healthy we went toe to toe with Texas and darn near won. Jake r ain't that bad, but he just ain't a top tier MAC or Big Ten talent.

OKFP, once again well played. Again reminds me why you and Springsteen are the best posters here

Latest posts