Is NIT success an indicator of upcoming regular season success?

I just wonder what kind of stock to put into this tournament, as originally I would've been very disappointed to not make MSG. However with the likely lack of a 2nd home game, I'm not confident in the least bit on Iowa's NIT chances.

That being said, if we win two games, does that lower your expectations for next year? Or are we ready to right off this season to a lack of experience that we'll hopefully/presumably gain over the next year?

I just wonder what kind of stock to put into this tournament, as originally I would've been very disappointed to not make MSG. However with the likely lack of a 2nd home game, I'm not confident in the least bit on Iowa's NIT chances.

That being said, if we win two games, does that lower your expectations for next year? Or are we ready to right off this season to a lack of experience that we'll hopefully/presumably gain over the next year?

You do realize we will be gaining 3 players and losing 1. You will not see any of the 3 in the nit. I expect those 3 to add extra depth to this team.

I do not put much stock into what happens in this tournament. Even in the NIT you play against good teams and Iowa has proved they can beat or lose to anyone on any given night. No question they should take care of the home court but playing at UMass is going to be a huge challenge.

Stanford won the NIT last year and they are back in the field this year. It's just a chance to play more games, really has no bearing on success of next season.

Stanford, UMass, Washington and Minnesota all made the finals last year. Only Minnesota made the NCAAs this year and that selection has been argued on other threads. Others that jumped out at me from 2012 that made the Big Dance this year are Ole Miss, Arizona, Miami, Middle Tennessee and Akron. Some of those lost in the first round last year.

I think the big thing the Hawks gain is the experience of playing in a national one-and-done tournament for the young guys. The fact that Iowa only has 1 scholarship senior will help them next year.

So while I'm glad they're playing in the post season and I hope they win, I don't really think it's that big a deal. Since Iowa only has one guaranteed home game, I think the chances of advancing to the finals are 50-50. So win the first one and play hard in the second one. If we get to the Garden, great!! If not, the Hawks have the experience of playing in this type of tourney.

GO HAWKS!!!

I don't think there is some uniform harbinger that comes from the NIT.

How Iowa fares in this event probably won't have much bearing on next year. If they win it, it will be great for team morale and leave them hungry for more. If they dont win it, it will leave them hungry for more.

Next year's team is an NCAA team. Period. If they don't make the NCAA's next year then the team fell short of it's obvious capabilities. I think they will make it and I believe they have a shot at a six seed or better. There will be plenty of time to write about this in the coming days and weeks, once Iowa's season is over...I hope that is after an NIT title, but I am looking forward to writing those stories.

Here are some items I wrote immediately following last year's team

Iowa Has Exciting Hoops Future
My April 2012 Look at the B1G and Iowa's Tough Road
Marble & White 2012-2013 Projections

Last edited:
A few things that can be positively taken from a deep run in the NIT are as mentioned already just the experience for the young guys and heck even the 3 juniors that will be headed into their senior campaigns. Maybe, they will see what these games meen to a teammate like Eric May and it will drive them going into the offseason. Another positive is they get to play some games(hopefully more than one) against opponents who are less familiar with our sets and personnel. The B1G grind is tough because all the teams are so well prepared and scouted. Along with the physical nature of the in conference schedule, once teams get into any type of postseason play you often see a much more wide open style of play which combined with our improved defense may allow our players to open it up on offense.

Lastly, I think this is one last chance to showcase where we are headed for potential recruits that will sign this fall. I think a trip to Madison Square Garden and a good overall showing in the NIT would just be another sign to kids that we are getting closer to being the program we once were.

Latest posts