Is it poor defense, hot teams, or both ...

khock

I went back and looked at the previous 3 games played by Iowa's opponents prior to playing Iowa and compared it to how they performed against Iowa.

Points Scored Avgvs IADiff
Wisconsin7179+9
Minnesota5095+45
Indiana6193+32
Purdue7176+5
Michigan St7086+16

Field Goal % Avgvs IADiff
Wisconsin46.247.6+1.5
Minnesota39.361.2+21.9
Indiana40.150.8+10.7
Purdue40.049.1+9.1
Michigan St50.758.3+7.6

3-Point % Avgvs IADiff
Wisconsin40.033.3-6.7
Minnesota25.557.9+32.4
Indiana35.737.5+1.8
Purdue31.533.3+1.9
Michigan St43.858.8+15.0

FTs AttemptedAvgvs IADiff
Wisconsin25.713-12.7
Minnesota12.729+16.3
Indiana15.038+23.0
Purdue29.021-8.0
Michigan St16.026+10.0

FT % Avg vs IA Diff
Wisconsin76.684.6+8.0
Minnesota65.882.8+17.0
Indiana64.471.1+6.6
Purdue72.466.7-5.7
Michigan St62.576.9+14.4

Since the Hawks fell out of the title race they have just been going through the motions IMO. I think we'll see a different level of intensity for Senior Night and the post season.

A little of both. Minnesota shooting that well was a bit of a fluke, although Iowa made it easy on them. Last night Iowa was better, but still not good enough.

The point differential doesn't really matter though, you should use points per possession to get a good idea of Iowa's defense.

Teams have good nights, and off nights, absolutely. But when it happens game after game after game, you have to conclude that teams aren't "just getting lucky" when they play us.

Just look at the level of difficulty of Iowa's shots in the second half last night compared to the shots MSU was getting. There ya go.

I was at the Minnesota game. The defense was very poor, but Minnesota was also shooting lights out even when a hand was in their face. I consider that whole game just an anomaly.

Iowa seems more susceptible to the extra pass than any team I can remember. I'm not sure if it's the zone or just players collapsing into the lane, but teams consistently get wide open 3 looks against Iowa. Its also been extremely frustrating to watch Iowa play solid D for 32 seconds just to let a random player bury a wide open 3 as the shot clock expires. That has happened way more than should be allowed.

Poor defense leads to the significant offensive statistical improvement of our opponents.

One game, I can see being a fluke. Maybe even two games on the road. This is no fluke. Iowa's defense lacks effort and intensity and the players admit it.

I was at the Minnesota game. The defense was very poor, but Minnesota was also shooting lights out even when a hand was in their face. I consider that whole game just an anomaly.

Iowa seems more susceptible to the extra pass than any team I can remember. I'm not sure if it's the zone or just players collapsing into the lane, but teams consistently get wide open 3 looks against Iowa. Its also been extremely frustrating to watch Iowa play solid D for 32 seconds just to let a random player bury a wide open 3 as the shot clock expires. That has happened way more than should be allowed.

When there is poor defense, a team can get into their rhythm a lot easier. Its easier for a team to make shots even if they hand is in their face when the defense is poor.

Defense wasn't as bad last night. MSU is one of the most talented teams in the nation and when healthy, Marble is the only one on Iowa's roster that would have a shot at starting for them. Trice was on fire and hit some lucky shots. That floater are you kidding me, only blocking the shot would have been better defense. Ugh and those 3s, he hit one wide open from well beyond nba when Iowa got mixed up in their zone and drilled another that looked like he just threw up a prayer he short armed it so bad but it must've been answered because it somehow went in. The open look was poor defense, the other 2 shots were about as good as you can get. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the defense was great, because they had plenty of open looks, but it wasn't quite as bad as the other games recently. I also can't wait for tomorrow's game so I can erase that mugging they call basketball in Lansing from my mind...

When there is poor defense, a team can get into their rhythm a lot easier. Its easier for a team to make shots even if they hand is in their face when the defense is poor.

I think this works the other way around, too. If you are getting swarmed all night and having to take a lot of difficult shots, you start clanging the few open shots that you may get, too. So I think there's a lot of truth to the rhythm theory you are talking about.

I also think these teams are a little looser playing a more uptempo style,

I think playing more uptempo with Iowa the other team is in a groove.

Based on the previous 3 games played by Iowa's opponents prior to playing Iowa and compared it to how they performed against Iowa.

Pts per PossessionAvgvs IADiff
Wisconsin1.131.22+0.09
Minnesota0.921.32+0.40
Indiana1.001.12+0.12
Purdue1.171.06-0.10
Michigan St1.081.12+0.04

Since the Hawks fell out of the title race they have just been going through the motions IMO. I think this is dead on. ISU went through the same funk after the second loss to KU and out of the title race.

I think we'll see a different level of intensity for Senior Night and the post season. I think this is true, too. However, I don't know if that will translate into success in close games during the post-season. (And I'm not saying you said intensity = post-season success). Those usually need to be learned in the regular season.

defense has stunk. pretty easy one. There is no ball pressure and players get very comfortable against us on the perimeter.

Minnie and Indy got hot and lucky as hell against us. Hope we meet again in the big tourney. Wispy and msu are just better than us.

I just don't understand why we continue to play zone. Teams are destroying our zone with quick passing and wide open 3's. We have enough speed and athleticism to play man. Put Gabe in place of Woody. Don't put McCabe in at all. We would be much more effective on d in my opinion by not playing zone.

Minnie and Indy got hot and lucky as hell against us. Hope we meet again in the big tourney. Wispy and msu are just better than us.

I agree with this. Minny is a BAD shooting team. They were something like 190th in the country in field goal percentage prior to playing us. That game was a total outlier.

I just don't understand why we continue to play zone. Teams are destroying our zone with quick passing and wide open 3's. We have enough speed and athleticism to play man. Put Gabe in place of Woody. Don't put McCabe in at all. We would be much more effective on d in my opinion by not playing zone.

I think you overestimate Iowa's quickness. Iowa is lengthy, but struggle keeping quick guards out of the paint. I'd rather go zone and hope to get a hand in a shooter's face, then allow a guard to penetrate.

Iowa seems more susceptible to the extra pass than any team I can remember. I'm not sure if it's the zone or just players collapsing into the lane, but teams consistently get wide open 3 looks against Iowa.

It's like they over help and end up getting killed on the next pass. That is a good point.

Latest posts