Is it commonplace among big programs to interchange position coaches?

WindyCityHawkI

I don't reallly follow what other programs do with coaching changes, but is it commonplace to move all of your defensive coaches into position jobs they have not done in the past when making a promotion? It just seems odd that we can just put guys in new spots and put an offensive line coach on the defensive line now and expect them all to have in depth knowledge and experience with those positions. Or maybe that is what teams do?

Would it really have hurt to add one or two position coaches from outside the program that could offer some new ideas to a staff that obviously is going to be doing the exact same thing as was done previously?

At least keeping the same defense would be ok based on the prior year's states, but having this same thing happen on the offensive side of the ball would seem to be a mistake with how predictable and non creative the offense has become the past 5 yrs. Do we really have to continue with the ultra conservative approach that has been resulting in 7-5 seasons with losses to inferior teams? Hopefully Soup is allowed to spice things up if hired.

It isn’t uncommon for experienced coaches to switch from offensive to defensive line or vise versa. Furthermore, I would bet on the likelyhood of Morgan’s success at defensive line. Frankly I think he will settle in quickly. Keeping Morgan’s in state recruiting connections is also imperative for the success of the team.

To my knowledge, Phil Parker doesn’t have extensive experience calling defenses. It may take a little time for him to fully settle into his new duties. In my mind there is a little more uncertainty in how well Phil Parker will settle into the DC spot. I would have favored a seasoned DC like Bradley but that may have been politically impossible even if it was contemplated. I do prefer Phil Parker hire over either Aiken or Herrmann.

The defense will probably work out, although we may have another down year with the defensive line being small and inexperienced once again. I'm more worried about the offensive play calling than anything.

Yeah, it's pretty common. Hell, this isn't even the first staff shakeup under Ferentz.

I don't think this much of shuffle up is common, if cambell or erb get the oc job, we will have what one position coach coaching the same position.

Is Iowa really a "big" program at this point in time?

Or did the OP mean a B1G program?

Was that a Want of Bee or was it a Want of Anteaterexpealadocious?

Latest posts