Is Derek Rose the Worst NBA MVP?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Here is the list

NBA.com: Most Valuable Player

Of course, 'worst' is not the word I am looking for..but on this list, I guess you know what I mean? Rose or Steve Nash? If Rose can dial in his outside shooting, he'll become an unreal force in this league.

He is so young that when looking at it right now, yes he probably is. But he is only 22 so you have to think by the time his career is done he will be on par with the others and Steve Nash will be the worst winner ever

Probably, the award really should just go to LeBron every year for probably the next five years but sportswriters get tired of voting for the same guy every year.

What word are you looking for, undeserving? Underwhelming?

When you look at the other players that won MVP's those two may lack the historical star quality compared to the others. Though i might be inclined to throw Nowitski on your list These playoffs aside he's typically wilts at big moments

In the case of DRose he's got time on his side to create a significant legacy which one typically gets by winning championships.

I like Nash quite a bit and is a lot of fun to watch. The guy is a pro, but no championships to show so far.

What word are you looking for, undeserving? Underwhelming?

When you look at the other players that won MVP's those two may lack the historical star quality compared to the others. Though i might be inclined to throw Nowitski on your list These playoffs aside he's typically wilts at big moments

In the case of DRose he's got time on his side to create a significant legacy which one typically gets by winning championships.

I like Nash quite a bit and is a lot of fun to watch. The guy is a pro, but no championships to show so far.

Karl Malone didn't have any championships either and it shouldn't be a limiting factor. Garnett didn't have a championship when he was MVP and had to team up with 3 other All-Stars to get one. MVP's should go to the league's best player. Championships go to the best team. There shouldn't be dependence on the second to win the first.

I think Rose has a chance at being better than Iverson (if he does it over the long haul).

Iverson's MVP season 2000-01 31.1 PPG 4.6 APG 3.8 RPG (.320 3 pt %)
- for his career, Iverson shot .313 from 3 point range

Rose MVP season 2010-11 25.0 PPG 7.7 APG 4.1 RPG (.332 3 pt %)

Throw in a 4.1 rebounding average, and Rose joins another elite group. He's the seventh player in league history to average at least 25 points, 7.5 assists and 4.0 rebounds, along with Jordan, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Wade and James, according to Elias.

As much as I hate him, LeBron should probably be MVP every year. He is easily the best player. Unfortunately the award has come down to 'best story of the season'. This year it was Rose and the Bulls.

When Nash won it was the Suns 7 seconds or less offense. The best part about that is he has had better stats since then and hasn't even sniffed the trophy. Go figure.

Hard to compare because most on the list aren't point guards. I'm no NBA expert but from what I've seen I would put him ahead of Nash and Iverson. He definitely needs to improve his outside shooting but I don't know that I've seen a point guard take it to the rack and finish like he does. It is very impressive to watch.

I think Rose has a chance at being better than Iverson (if he does it over the long haul).

Iverson's MVP season 2000-01 31.1 PPG 4.6 APG 3.8 RPG (.320 3 pt %)
- for his career, Iverson shot .313 from 3 point range

Rose MVP season 2010-11 25.0 PPG 7.7 APG 4.1 RPG (.332 3 pt %)

Throw in a 4.1 rebounding average, and Rose joins another elite group. He's the seventh player in league history to average at least 25 points, 7.5 assists and 4.0 rebounds, along with Jordan, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Wade and James, according to Elias.

That's not saying much considering Iverson is the most overrated player in the history of the NBA. I hated his game. Anyone can score 30 when you shoot 35 times a game. Iverson was not a winner.

Nash and Iverson are number one, two, and three on the list.

It is impossible to really compare because if you go back 10 years, you are looking at only hall of famers, so obviously he isn't there yet.

If he keeps up this pace for the next five-10 years, he will be doing just fine and nowhere close to the bottom.

Interesting that Kobe has only won one, I would have guessed more.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but IMO MVP isn't a lifetime achievement award it should go to the player that for that season is most deserving of it that season and did the most to help his team win. Hard to argue with the best player on the team with the best record in the league. I'm a big Lebron fan, but honestly can't say that he or anyone else deserved it more than Rose this year. I think sometimes people get to caught up in the scoring aspect of the game and lose track of other tangibles that define an MVP.

I agree with a lot of other people that it is hard to evaluate Derek Rose today against many of these guys.

As far as guys Derek Rose is probably a better MVP than in his current position, I guess you could say he is better than Wes Unseld (68-69), Iverson (00-01), Nash (04-05, 05-06) and Nowitzki (06-07).

Also for those saying LeBron is better. We can disagree on that, but the MVP is about Value not best and I think it is hard to argue that Derek Rose wasn't the most valuable in what he did for the Bulls.

Look back at the collapse of the Cav's and it is pretty hard to argue against Lebron being MVP. However, I think if the same thing happened to Rose, it would have been just as bad. Well maybe not as bad, but close. I think it comes down to Lebron's current team. If he goes down, the Heat would be better off than the Bulls would be without Rose.

The problem is with most of those guys you're looking back with nostalgia on their careers, not taking into consideration the year in which they won it. So 10, 15 years from now we'll be able to compare Rose to most of the guys on that list.

The difference between Rose and most of the more recent winners is his age. He really deserved both the MVP and Most Improved award this season, which is why the MVP seems so surprising or underwhelming when compared to that list. Most of the other guys got it after slowing building up an impressive career. In one year, he exploded out of nowhere.

MVP does NOT mean it's supposed to go to the best player. You take LeBron away from the Heat, and they still have Wade/Bosh and make the playoffs. The Bulls without Rose? They could easily go from best record in the East to not making the playoffs at all. He was by far the most VALUABLE player this year. He put that team on his back for long stretches this season.

Rose needs a running mate. Sorry, Carlos Boozer ain't it. Except for maybe Iverson and Lebron most of the guys on the list had legit running mates. In some cases like Larry and Magic they had 3 or 4 guys. Having that no.2 guy is important, why do you think Lebron left Cleveland?

Usually most players don't win in so quickly in their careers. So every player you're looking at has 8+ years in the NBA to judge their star power. Who knows what will be thought of Rose in 5 years.

MVP does NOT mean it's supposed to go to the best player. You take LeBron away from the Heat, and they still have Wade/Bosh and make the playoffs. The Bulls without Rose? They could easily go from best record in the East to not making the playoffs at all. He was by far the most VALUABLE player this year. He put that team on his back for long stretches this season.

This is true. Rose earned it. With that said, they need to have another award that is the BEST player int he league for the year. Look at the numbers, and do the eye test. Who was the BEST player in the NBA for the year? Period.

If you are captain for a pick up game. Matchups aside, what guy are you going to pick first?

If you watched Rose in every game this year,you would not question his bonafides for this award. The Bulls have no offensively skilled players beyond Rose,and they had the best record in the league....nuff said.

If you watch him play in person,his quickness is almost ''optical illusion'' type stuff. Rub your eyes to make sure you are seeing what you are seeing. So no, he is not the worse NBA MVP ....he will be the greatest pg in the history of the league by age 36.

Latest posts