Is boxing out on defense not taught any longer?

homes

Particularly when you are undersized. At one point deep in the second half, Indiana had as many offensive rebounds as Iowa did in total. I can successfully predict the number of wins they'll have the rest of the season if that stat continues.

We are particularly bad at boxing out the lane. We seem to cover the sides, but leave a direct path open down the lane. I would like to see McCaffrey go after a juco rebounder with some bulk. He doesn't need to be a big time scorer, but we lack toughness and size down low. Guys are also leaking out to run, so the long rebounds fall in no man's land quite often.

Particularly when you are undersized. At one point deep in the second half, Indiana had as many offensive rebounds as Iowa did in total. I can successfully predict the number of wins they'll have the rest of the season if that stat continues.

I am fairly sure that Indiana ended with 18 offensive rebounds...and Iowa ended with 18 total! Thats a pretty crazy stat.

Tom Davis always seemed to have REALLY good rebounding teams, even with slower and shorter guys...

Fran is sucking as a coach. Bball starts with defense. What is he thinking? That game was a joke.

Wow, pretty harsh there.

I will say that the "gameplan" was about as close to a give-up as you can get without saying the words, "We forfeit".

They all teach it, players just have to respond. When a game is out of control it appears to just jump out of their heads and they scramble to do anything they can. I honestly dont think you all have anything to worry about yet. Its going to be a slow process but Fran will get the ship righted over the next year or so. He isnt going to be your McDermott.

just give everyone open lanes and give everyone spaces to dunk and shoot 3`s. i gues thats the most exciting team i ever seen. lol

2 weeks it ago, it was Iowa will win 8 of it's last 11 and blah blah blah, now it's Iowa is the worst team ever and Fran sucks. SHUT THE F UP!

It is obvious that this team struggled to box out the last 2 games, I'm guessing Fran has pointed this out, and I have a feeling that this will improve the rest of the year and when more talent is infused. A lot of it has to do with poor defense on the perimeter causing the defense to have to help on penetration and then they are out of position.

I too am frustrated but to throw a hissy fit when this kind of game happens is dumb. Calm down and lets see how the rest of the year plays out.

When the shot goes up Iowa stands and watches, every single time. I watched this specifically last night and couldnt believe it. Indiana didnt even have to fight to get around an Iowa player to get a board, they simply went right around them, blocked the Iowa player out and got the board while Iowa just stands there and hopes the ball bounces to them.

Iowa shot 63 % 34 of 54 that means there were 20 offensive rebounds avialable. Iowa was outrebounded by 13 39 to 26. we lost but scoring 89 pts in a loss is not that bad considering the talent gap, this was no where near the loss that MSU & OSU put on us

It's hard to win games if you don't put a body on someone and at least contend on the boards. Even talented teams have to do this to win, let alone teams like us.

I have a few rebounding/block out drills I can send Fran.

It's hard to win games if you don't put a body on someone and at least contend on the boards. Even talented teams have to do this to win, let alone teams like us.

I have a few rebounding/block out drills I can send Fran.

I never made it past Jr. High ball, but we had a few box out drills that may be helpful. I'll send Franny a note.

I am fairly sure that Indiana ended with 18 offensive rebounds...and Iowa ended with 18 total! Thats a pretty crazy stat.

Tom Davis always seemed to have REALLY good rebounding teams, even with slower and shorter guys...

Tom Davis also refused to defend the three-point shot.

Iowa's problem last night was that they were getting beat off the dribble and out of half-court traps, requiring help-side defenders to assist the on-ball defender, leaving either Zeller or a corner three-pointer open all night long.

Indiana spaced the floor well, and Iowa was unable to find their man when they needed to box out.

Latest posts