Is 2010 Another 2004?

I was at that Wisky game. One of the best memories I have as a Hawk fan. It was awesome. Wisky fans running around with roses before the game. The chant of "Big 10 champs" towards the end of the game. Doesn't happen very often.

Doesnt Norm Parker need to lose a toe or something like that?

But actually he's already in the hospital, so I'd rather have him come back to health to tie both years together as having problems he overcame. Hope he's back soon and healthy again.

Last edited:
No I dont think so. Iowa program at different level. Not as high as we would like, but now consistenly higher then Nation thought in 04. After 02 season not too many would predict success of this staff. Now they pushed through 2 tough years and are high again. The test is will top 15 or 20 status remain or will there be a 7-6 or 6-7 in near future, I think KF has it working, no less than 8 win seasons for next 3+ years!

I was at that Wisky game. One of the best memories I have as a Hawk fan. It was awesome. Wisky fans running around with roses before the game. The chant of "Big 10 champs" towards the end of the game. Doesn't happen very often.

I was at this game too. Probably one of the most raucous Kinnick environments I've experienced.

I still have the towel they gave to all fans from that game. Gave it to my son (who was 4 at the time) and he still has it 6 years later.

I agree. It was one of my favorite games to attend...ever.

Many coincidences so far but the key difference is when the switch gets flipped.

Remember, after the desert debacle in 2004, Iowa then played at Michigan. Tho a loss, DT getting his helmet ripped off and finishing the play was the signature of the resiliency of that team and that his toughness would lead them. Result, 7 straight wins and a co-B11 championship.

This year, with so much veteran talent (far more than 2004 on both sides of the ball) I firmly believe the "switch" was flipped at halftime of AZ. To come back under those conditions is the signature of the resiliency of this team and overcoming their self-inflicted wounds (all things equal, that game was lost on TWO special teams gaffes -- the kick - 6 and the blocked PAT) demonstrates the mental toughness that will win them future games.

Similar to 2004, the Michigan roadie seems to be setting up as the turning point game. There are several favorable scenarios this time around
-- 2010 Michigan is a shell of the 2004 Michigan team;
-- 2004 Michigan was in retrospect, 2010 is something that is already recognized and, with the bye, can be prepared for in order to maximize the opportunity.

Here's to "turning the corner" this time around with a win in the Big House. Accomplish that and, as in 2004, the Michigan game will be the catalyst to win every game therafter.

Iowa Hawkeyes:
-- School record 12-1.
-- 2011 Rose Bowl Champions.
-- Final ranking of #4.

It depends if we get nasty and become the bullies again. That's what Iowa was all about in those years, we hit hard and scared people. We took out QBs left and right and layed the wood to anybody in our way. We didn't win every week but you knew you were in a game when you left the field. I think our DL needs to sacrifice Denard Robinson to the Big Hit Gods to get us fired up.

Well, I would agree hope it does work out like 04 we beat OSU and won a Big Ten championship so would be nice for sure. Iowa showed just how tough this team in last Saturday in the 2nd half should be a fun Big Ten season and Go Hawks.

The big difference between then and now is:

I don't think Stanzi is the "carry the team on your shoulders" type of QB like Tate was that year.

Don't get me wrong...I think Ricky is a very good QB...just not the same type as Tate.

It'd be helpful if 2010 OSU was as bad as 2004 OSU

Ahhhh, I was at that beatdown as well. An older Buckeye couple in front of me exiting early stating, "well, you guys played a good game." Tressel down playing Iowa being good and that it was mainly the result of poor play by his team. Good times.

Here is the difference. Bad running back recruiting for that year. The best we had was that transfer who was not all that great. Didn't have anyone near Coker's ability. Also, didn't have a Rogers around either, to say the least about Johnson.

I brought my roommate to that wisky game. First time to a football game ever.
Can you imagine?
He didn't even realize the significance of trouncing tOSU and Wisky back to back by 4 scores each!