Irish Temper Boils Over Again

Northside Hawk

Over here in Wisconsin a parent has been spotted on tape chasing the officials off the court after his stepson's season had just come to a conclusion. The parent was seen following the officials around the corner of the bleachers to the gym exit. One ref is seen turning around and motioning him to stop and go back.

The parent is none other than former Green Bay head coach and super bowl champion Mike McCarthy, who evidently has been a regular patron at Notre Dame Academy games where his stepson plays. Audio is not available in the clip seen on local news but it has been reported that profuse profanity was used by McCarthy.

It's been a rough couple of days for Irish coaches and ex coaches. The funniest thing about it is that some are confusing McCarthy with McCaffery, who is not too highly thought of in the state of Wisconsin. Everyone over here either is familiar with Fran's legendary Kohl Center meltdown in 2014 or has heard the story of his adventures trying to operate the scoreboard at JustAGame in Wisconsin Dells a few years ago.

Final note, I'm exempt from the ethnic card on this one. I'm full blooded Irish. I grew up Irish in the heavily German north end of Dubuque. The neighbors on my block growing up included Weitz, Zimmer, Reiter, Hindenbrand, and Scherf.

Last edited:
I live in Dubuque and my ex-wife grew up here. Not too long ago an Irish/German marriage use to be referred to as a "mix-marriage". By the way, I'm almost full German and my ex-wife was full Irish.

Over here in Wisconsin a parent has been spotted on tape chasing the officials off the court after his stepson's season had just come to a conclusion. The parent was seen following the officials around the corner of the bleachers to the gym exit. One ref is seen turning around and motioning him to stop and go back.

The parent is none other than former Green Bay head coach and super bowl champion Mike McCarthy, who evidently has been a regular patron at Notre Dame Academy games where his stepson plays. Audio is not available in the clip seen on local news but it has been reported that profuse profanity was used by McCarthy.

It's been a rough couple of days for Irish coaches and ex coaches. The funniest thing about it is that some are confusing McCarthy with McCaffery, who is not too highly thought of in the state of Wisconsin. Everyone over here either is familiar with Fran's legendary Kohl Center meltdown in 2014 or has heard the story of his adventures trying to operate the scoreboard at JustAGame in Wisconsin Dells a few years ago.

Final note, I'm exempt from the ethnic card on this one. I'm full blooded Irish. I grew up Irish in the heavily German north end of Dubuque. The neighbors on my block growing up included Weitz, Zimmer, Reiter, Hindenbrand, and Scherf.

My dad grew up in Dubuque and graduated from Sr. High. Used to go shoot rats down by the river packing plants. His old man was a lawyer, with some of his clients being the bootleggers out of East Dubuque in the 20s and 30s.... (he slept with a loaded .38 under his pillow). My last name is Koerner (Ker-ner)....German for sure. Don't mess with me.

My first impression as a kid of Dubuque was there was either a church or bar on every corner.

As recently as fifty years ago, the south side of of Dubuque was predominantly Irish, the north side was German. Where the line was really drawn in the sand was just north of downtown. You had the Irish St Patrick's school and church on 15th Street, the German St. Mary's school and church about four blocks away. The lines eventually became blurred and neither school exists anymore and that's probably a good thing. Some of the worst neighborhoods in Dubuque are precisely where those schools once stood. Not the area to want to send young children.

My dad grew up in Dubuque and graduated from Sr. High. Used to go shoot rats down by the river packing plants. His old man was a lawyer, with some of his clients being the bootleggers out of East Dubuque in the 20s and 30s.... (he slept with a loaded .38 under his pillow). My last name is Koerner (Ker-ner)....German for sure. Don't mess with me.

My first impression as a kid of Dubuque was there was either a church or bar on every corner.
Many of the kids I went to elementary school with had parents who worked at the meat packing plant. Many of them had to take severe pay and benefits cuts to save their jobs in the early eighties. I was lucky. I was able to get out of there and go to college and my parents were able to help me. A bit. I lucked my way into some nice summer jobs.

Well if people would stop trying to steal our lucky charms, you would find the Irish to be an excellent bunch.

Don't you know that it's ok for football coaches to act like this but not basketball coaches? Just ask ISU fans who think Fran is an idiot but loved Paul Rhoads' 'passion'. Completely different.

Yeah but Fran doesn’t play a mean air guitar.

Seinfeld has the answer. In the past, converting to Judaism or Latvian orthodox was a process. Now you can convert gender on a whim. If offending someone else, just convert so you can get away with the jokes.

Latest posts