Iowa's non-con FB sched - a history lesson

iowamike21

In 1961,Iowa’s last winning season (5-4) until 1981, Iowa’s non-con opponents were Cal,USC, and Notre Dame. In 1962 (4-5): Oregon St., USC, and Notre Dame. It was like that throughout the 60s the 70s and the 80s with the likes of Washington, Washington St., NC State, Miami (FL), Arizona, TCU, Arizona St., UCLA, Penn State, Syracuse, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Tennessee, K-State, and Colorado. Iowa State became a fixture in 1977.

In 1981, when Hayden Fry's Hawkeyes broke the two-decade long drought in Iowa City, the Hawkeyes beat #7 Nebraska and, later, #7 UCLA sandwiched around a loss in Ames. I saw all three games and, I know I'm crazy, but I'd take that schedule anytime over what we've been seeing too often the last two decades.

Over the last 20 years, since the early ’90s, the non-con opponents have gradually been watered down to the point where now many folks take NIU, ISU, Louisiana Tech, UNI, Akron, Missouri State, Central Michigan, et al. as standard non-con fare. But a quick look at history shows that’s not the case.

I’d have to agree with the sportswriter from Oklahoma who recently wrote of Iowa’s 2012 schedule, “Three directional schools, one of which is a I-AA foe. A textbook bad schedule for a program that ought to be big-time.â€

Iowa used to play all its non-con games against Pac 10 teams (that “new†thing between the Big Ten and Pac 12 isn’t so new after all) and other BCS major powers, sometimes playing all 3 non-con games against Top 20 teams. The Hawkeyes weren’t often up to it then. They should be now.

This isn't an Iowa thing, this is an NCAA thing. A vast majority of teams out there are going to soft non-con scheduling. At that point, it puts you at a disadvantage if you are scheduling harder non-con opponents and your competitors aren't.

Furthermore, since 2000, has done a very good job of getting other BCS teams to play them, even if you figure in that we play ISU every year. ESPN did a story on teams that avoid other BCS teams in non-con and those that aren't afraid to play them. Iowa was in the top 10 since 2000 for scheduling BCS opponents.

A huge part of this simply the fact that they also weren't playing 12 game schedules back then either. Also, be prepared for reminders from the regulars that this convo is somewhat old on this board.

It is what it is. Iowa generally has two BCS teams in the OOC, which very few teams can claim. This year is the oddity, with only ISU and the NIU neutral site game.

Yes, we have a light non-conference this one year for Iowa. Otherwise, every other year we have ISU and some other named school, and two directional types...just like Oklahoma. So they can go cry in their Red River because this year we have one easier non-conference than they do.

It's not like they can complain about the ISU game being scheduled annually.

By the way, this is the same Oklahoma that backed away from the table to maintain the annual Nebraska rivalry when the Big 12 split divisions and that game wasn't going to be played every year.

It is what it is. Iowa generally has two BCS teams in the OOC, which very few teams can claim. This year is the oddity, with only ISU and the NIU neutral site game.

This. Look Iowa doesn't have the toughest OOC schedule but they have one, usually two BCS schools on their schedule. This is something most BCS schools can't say.

Something that is also overlooked, it isn't like Iowa can just call up any BCS school to get a home and away. There are a lot of schools that wouldn't agree to schedule a home and away with us.

Not so odd. Next year is the same way. Iowa state,NIU at home and 2 scrub teams.

In 1961,Iowa’s last winning season (5-4) until 1981, Iowa’s non-con opponents were Cal,USC, and Notre Dame. In 1962 (4-5): Oregon St., USC, and Notre Dame. It was like that throughout the 60s the 70s and the 80s with the likes of Washington, Washington St., NC State, Miami (FL), Arizona, TCU, Arizona St., UCLA, Penn State, Syracuse, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Tennessee, K-State, and Colorado. Iowa State became a fixture in 1977.

In 1981, when Hayden Fry's Hawkeyes broke the two-decade long drought in Iowa City, the Hawkeyes beat #7 Nebraska and, later, #7 UCLA sandwiched around a loss in Ames. I saw all three games and, I know I'm crazy, but I'd take that schedule anytime over what we've been seeing too often the last two decades.

Over the last 20 years, since the early ’90s, the non-con opponents have gradually been watered down to the point where now many folks take NIU, ISU, Louisiana Tech, UNI, Akron, Missouri State, Central Michigan, et al. as standard non-con fare. But a quick look at history shows that’s not the case.

I’d have to agree with the sportswriter from Oklahoma who recently wrote of Iowa’s 2012 schedule, “Three directional schools, one of which is a I-AA foe. A textbook bad schedule for a program that ought to be big-time.â€

Iowa used to play all its non-con games against Pac 10 teams (that “new†thing between the Big Ten and Pac 12 isn’t so new after all) and other BCS major powers, sometimes playing all 3 non-con games against Top 20 teams. The Hawkeyes weren’t often up to it then. They should be now.

If you knew your "history", you'd know WHY Hayden started easing off on the "BCS caliber" non-cons:
1) Injuries--Hayden noted that we were going into Big Ten regular season with second-teamers at too many key positions due to injuries in non-con
2) Home-and-homes and cancellations--too often the Hawks were getting cancelled out on games (Miami/FL, et. al.), and either had to adjust future schedules, or worse, we'd play AT one school, who would never make the return trip to IC
3) $$$ Guarantees--the payouts to get "high-brow" schools to come to IC was often DOUBLE what IOWA was "guaranteed" to travel to same school. Miami/FL was most famous for this throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s. And Texas schools wouldn't even DISCUSS a series that wasn't two games on THEIR field to only ONE game on OUR field. And how mmany upper-tier SEC schools travel north very often?

If you really think IOWA's schedule is any more "cream-puff" or "embarrassing" than any of the others, read the others a little more closely. The only 1-AA/FCS is an in-state school, so we are keeping the money "at-home" versus bringing an out-of-state 1-AA/FCS and dissing on our state "sister institutions".

Everyone schedules like that for the most part. It's a far cry from Iowa's 1992 OOC schedule. NC State, #1 Miami, at top 10 Colorado and Iowa St.

Everyone schedules like that for the most part. It's a far cry from Iowa's 1992 OOC schedule. NC State, #1 Miami, at top 10 Colorado and Iowa St.

I was too little to care then, but just looked and we went 1-3 en route to a 5-7 season. Playing that schedule sounds awesome, but I completely understand why that is not done any more. Although I literally hate playing teams like Ark. St., etc.

This may have been mentioned but this is exactly why they need to include non conference strength of schedule when they're selecting playoff teams in the future.

you beat me to it. i was going to cite the '92 preseason schedule. that team was hyped as a potentially great team, coming out of the '91 season, no one had a reason to doubt. great OL, etc.

that preseason schedule probably didn't help that team develop into what could have been a better season.

They were finally starting to play decent football in 92 when Jim Hartlieb broke is hand at Illinois diving on a fumble. Then it was Burmeister and Matt Eyde at QB and it wasnt pretty.

Couldn't disagree with this post more. You want to schedule 3 cupcakes and Iowa State to minimize injuries, maximize wins and get in bowl position.

Playing top tier schools is just stupid. Iowa's schedule gets a lot tougher when they start playing a Pac 12 school every year. Be careful what you wish for

Couldn't disagree with this post more. You want to schedule 3 cupcakes and Iowa State to minimize injuries, maximize wins and get in bowl position.

Playing top tier schools is just stupid. Iowa's schedule gets a lot tougher when they start playing a Pac 12 school every year. Be careful what you wish for

It doesn't get a lot tougher. It will be similar to what it has always been. 8 conference games, ISU, some other Arizona St./Pittsburgh/Syracuse type and two cupcakes.

Maybe a little tougher by virtue of the Pac team rotating.

This is an issue among schools in every BCS football conference. It is a result of two things. First, it is a result of the current bowl system that rewards teams for winning and punishes teams for losing while generally disregarding quality of wins or losses. Second, it is a result of the financial reality of 21st century football. It is more financially valuable to play a cupcake at home than it is to go on the road.

It is foolish to play top tier teams in non conference. Look at those years in which we played three big names and they were all losing years, save for '81. Load up on cream puffs I say. Get wins, because we can't beat Minny now, NWestern is always tough, we need to get the wins we think we can because in the Big Ten nothing is a given

Latest posts