Iowa's Current Computer Rankings

ChosenChildren

Anderson and Hester: #23, with the nation's 3rd toughest schedule
Sagarin: #22, with the nation's 4th toughest schedule
Massey: #23, with the nation's 4th toughest schedule

Very interesting. FWIW, #22 would match where Iowa finished (post bowl) in the 2015 and 2008 Sagarin rankings. Under Ferentz, Iowa has finished in the top 20 on four occasions, '02, '03, '04, and '09.

5 losses including Purdue at home does not = Top 25... regardless of your schedule.

Maybe not, but it would mean that Iowa would be the highest ranked 5-loss team. And frankly, looking at the teams below them in the Massey ratings (26th at this point, not sure where OP got their number) I'm not sure what 4 loss team behind them I'd move up.

Iowa was 2-4 against teams ranked in the Top 30 of the computer rankings (with three very close losses) and 5-1 against teams that were not. The loss to Purdue was a real stinker (obviously) and the victory over Ohio State was also a huge surprise

You know, I used to trot these things out to my Husker fan coworkers. There were years earlier in the Ferentz tenure when we were in the top 25 where computer rankings would show us in the top 5 or better. You know what I learned? No one cares. It might not be fair that brand and beauty matter more but they do. Win games and get into the rankings that people actually look at (AP, Coaches, and CFP) if you want to improve the brand.

Maybe not, but it would mean that Iowa would be the highest ranked 5-loss team. And frankly, looking at the teams below them in the Massey ratings (26th at this point, not sure where OP got their number) I'm not sure what 4 loss team behind them I'd move up.

Massey has two polls: Their own Massey college football poll (#23) and a composite poll where they average about 30 individual computer ranking systems. You are correct that they are #26 in the Massey composite poll.

The computers loved Iowa this year because of the difficulty of their schedule.

You know, I used to trot these things out to my Husker fan coworkers. There were years earlier in the Ferentz tenure when we were in the top 25 where computer rankings would show us in the top 5 or better. You know what I learned? No one cares. It might not be fair that brand and beauty matter more but they do. Win games and get into the rankings that people actually look at (AP, Coaches, and CFP) if you want to improve the brand.

I wonder how well the AP/Coaches/Computer predict the CFP rankings. I don't have that data available right now to check it.

No one is happy with 7-5. The schedules change a lot in 2018 and 2019.....Ferentz has a big opportunity in those years and needs to return to 9 or 10 win seasons, if not better.

I wonder how well the AP/Coaches/Computer predict the CFP rankings. I don't have that data available right now to check it.
They've typically showed "slightly" less favoritism to historic brands. I.e. in 2015 I believe they had Iowa higher than the "popularity contest" polls and eventually put them in the playoff conversation before they lost the B1G championship game. I don't think the old polls would have ever put them in the top 4 in 2015.

IMHO the flaw in Sagarin has always been too much credit given for losing to a good team. Granted, it's better than losing to a bad team. But it's still a loss.

No one is happy with 7-5.
Not true. Clown fans are.

They’re absolutely foaming at the mouth over a season that any decent P5 team would call a huge letdown.

Isn’t that right, @IAST8SGR8?

You little brothers are cute as all get out with your crayons and cotton candy. In fact, I think you’re ready to come join a big boy conference like everyone else. See how that 7-5 works when you have to play more than one good team every year.

IMHO the flaw in Sagarin has always been too much credit given for losing to a good team. Granted, it's better than losing to a bad team. But it's still a loss.
These things don’t compute well because there’s way too much chaos and there are games that create wild swings. Ranking systems like that would be valid if done over say, a ten or fifteen year period, but that’s it.

They’re absolutely foaming at the mouth over a season that any decent P5 team would call a huge letdown.

You little brothers are cute as all get out with your crayons and cotton candy. In fact, I think you’re ready to come join a big boy conference like everyone else. Come see how that 7-5 works when you have to play more than one good team every year.

We would have been elated when HF beat UCLA and Nebby and the team finished 7-5 back in the day. Similar wins. Granted there was a win against M that was close. If we'd played OSU as another game......likely 8-4 heading into a bowl which we weren't ready for.

You little brothers are cute as all get out with your crayons and cotton candy. In fact, I think you’re ready to come join a big boy conference like everyone else. See how that 7-5 works when you have to play more than one good team every year.
Big 10 is no better than big 12 this year. Be real

These things don’t compute well because there’s way too much chaos and there are games that create wild swings. Ranking systems like that would be valid if done over say, a ten or fifteen year period, but that’s it.

Yes and No. While you're getting a broader sample over 10 or 15 years you're changing what you're measuring You'd then be measuring a program's performance over time (which means different players, probably different coaches)... not a specific team in a given year.

Sports still functions within "seasons", especially in college where...by rule...you turn over 20-25% of your team every year...many of which are your best players. One of the biggest misnomers in sports is the term "Defending Champion". Boxing has a defending Champion. Football, baseball, basketball and most other sports...do not. Each season stands alone.

Sagarin is certainly better than the beauty contest polls where somebody in the SID ends up filling in the weekly ballot...but still not perfect.

Put down the bong cryowa. We did win more games against ranked teams than you. I am just amazed that you actually played more than one this year.

Latest posts