Iowa Vs The Other Nebraska Team Not Named Creighton Game Thread

Judging by Mickey Joseph’s post games lately they might be on the road before the stands clear.
They don't belong on the same field with us. But I remember Minnesota 2010. Interim coach, long losing streak, should have had their cars running..

Meanwhile we had everything to play for.. but the Gophs showed up and played out of their minds.. and Nebraska showed up vs Wisconsin last Saturday only to go classic Nebraska in the fourth quarter.

Hopefully Nebraska has their cars, or in this case the bus, running.. And that Bucky took the last bit of starch out of them. And that this could be a 2017, Minnesota 2008 type laugher.

Side note on Wisconsin. Some may forget they were respectable in the first half of the 1980's when the late Dave McClain coached there. They were definitely the most physical team in the league and you loved to play the team that got beat up, if not necessarily beat, by Wisconsin the week before.(they had the most physical goal posts too, just ask Scott Helverson).

Fortunately when we played them, Hayden had his number. But I was there in 1984 when they knocked Ronnie Harmon and Chuck Long out of the game on consecutive plays.

McClain succumbed to a heart attack in spring 1986 after his morning workout. Reminiscent of Northwestern's Randy Walker a while back. That lead to the shit show that Barry eventually had to clean up five years later.

Last edited:
We can’t keep Bowen on the bench forever. He is quick.
Fortunately there is zero pressure on him to contribute right away. He can learn the offense and grow into his role.

Meanwhile Perkins, Ulis, and even Connor can run the point. Can you imagine if Joe T. were still here? It would be an embarrassment of riches.

What in the hell is up with that project. Good Gawd...it's been going on for years.
Thank GOD I don't have to deal with that mix master on game days. I still come in on hwy 1 for athletic events. If it's basketball it's 1 to I-80 to Dubuque to Park, across Hwy 6, then park in the Finkbine lots.

For football it's 1 to Burlington to Gilbert to Benton, across the Benton Street Bridge, the to our designated parking spot a little off Benton and tailgate off Golfview near Stellas.

Judging by Mickey Joseph’s post games lately they might be on the road before the stands clear.
Here's another related story that I've probably told before (and is in Hayden's book) Iowa played Minnesota to end the 1983 regular season and Gopher coach Joe Salem came up to Hayden and gave him a pregame handshake. He explained to Hayden that he was probably a lame duck and that he was headed straight out after the game so there would probably be no post-game handshake opportunity.

Hayden suspected Salem may have had a car waiting. Some suspect he quit in the middle of the game. In any case Hayden wrote that he never saw him again. The inspired Gophers went on to give up over 500 yards rushing and over 60 points. At least three Iowa backs went over the 100 yard mark.

Gotta get Sandfort going. He might be the one starter that needs to play 30+ minutes.
If Sandforts cold streak keeps up that's what'll end up happening... Sandfort can't seem to throw it in the ocean so far this yr. Not that that's all he does but tonight wasn't a great night for him minus that highlight bounce pass. That was bad ass
Sandfort will be fine. He will score points. D is very good. More rebounds, please.No turnovers to speak of.

Sandfort will be fine. He will score points. D is very good. More rebounds, please.No turnovers to speak of.
Not sure I'd describe his D as very good but it's better then what he was last yr. And I sure hope he'll get to shooting better. It'd sure be nice if he'd be around 40% from 3 pt land.

Fortunately there is zero pressure on him to contribute right away. He can learn the offense and grow into his role.

Meanwhile Perkins, Ulis, and even Connor can run the point. Can you imagine if Joe T. were still here? It would be an embarrassment of riches.
Nothing against Joe T, I liked his aggressiveness, though sometimes he was quicker than the ball.....but I think Joe made the right decision. I doubt he would be averaging 10 pts a game for us right now.

Not sure I'd describe his D as very good but it's better then what he was last yr. And I sure hope he'll get to shooting better. It'd sure be nice if he'd be around 40% from 3 pt land.
When he finds his stroke, and he will, as a team we will be near impossible to guard........when Connor sank that dagger at Seton Hall, it took the wind right out of their sails.....add a hot shooting Sandfort, and the upcoming schedule may not be as formidable as it appears.......

When he finds his stroke, and he will, as a team we will be near impossible to guard........when Connor sank that dagger at Seton Hall, it took the wind right out of their sails.....add a hot shooting Sandfort, and the upcoming schedule may not be as formidable as it appears.......
What I also liked was how they drained so many FTs. If they shoot anywhere close to 75% plus as a team from there they'll be really tough to beat. I think they'll get to the line alot.

Latest posts