Iowa vs Creighton at Wells Fargo this winter

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Not sure of date but will likely be called the Dale Howard Classic. Will ask Barta in a few if this DSM Hawkeye game is something they want to do each year.

Last edited:
Spoke with Barta...while they do not have anything officially on the docket for annual Iowa in DSM games, they are hoping to make it an annual event.

My guess is in the years they don't play at the Knapp Center against Drake, they will try to schedule an opponent in Wells Fargo.

It would be great to have the Hawks in DM every season. I hope it happens. There is a lot of love for the Hawks in Des Moines.

Spoke with Barta...while they do not have anything officially on the docket for annual Iowa in DSM games, they are hoping to make it an annual event.

My guess is in the years they don't play at the Knapp Center against Drake, they will try to schedule an opponent in Wells Fargo.

First off, they better have video review next year.

Secondly, this will be a very good early test for Iowa as CU should be a contender for the NCAA tournament.

Lastly, Jon, would Iowa being in this event yearly mean they cannot compete in other exempt tournaments? Or would this simply be another "neutral" game like KU, Mizzou, and KSU do in KC?

While having games in Des Moines are nice for publicity, fans, etc. I'd rather it not be every year, or even every other. WFA is not a good arena for college basketball. It takes away from the home court advantage we have at Carver, I guess when we have a home court advantage.
Once in a while is fine, something along the lines of 1 every 4 or so years.

regardless of whether they play Drake or not, I have been asking for an annual Iowa game at WFA since they built the place ... seriously, what took so damn long!?

IMO, anything is better than being an Iowa fan at a Drake game. 25.00 to sit in bleachers with a triple obstructed view (rails, fans and the basket) is robbery. I get they play in a smaller arena and it is quaint, if you are in a good seat, but if not, make an appointment with a massage therapist for the following Monday, as you will need it after leaning from side to side and crouching over to see between the rails. Ten bucks fine, I can deal with it.

First off, they better have video review next year.

Secondly, this will be a very good early test for Iowa as CU should be a contender for the NCAA tournament.

Lastly, Jon, would Iowa being in this event yearly mean they cannot compete in other exempt tournaments? Or would this simply be another "neutral" game like KU, Mizzou, and KSU do in KC?

As for the video review, are you sure you're not thinking of the ISU game last year? That's the one where the game winning shot appeared to have taken place after the buzzer.

Sweet about time the Hawks play in there. Ive always thought it would be pretty neat to see Iowa play the Clones in there sometime.

I'd like to see the ISU/Iowa game against Drake in WFA every year. I'd also like to see an ISU or Iowa game in WFA every year since we play Drake at home in opposite seasons.

Probably never work given the importance of home games / revenue, but I have always thought it would be cool if the ISU, Iowa, Drake, and UNI could play some sort of in state tourney to support cancer research, Children's Hospitals in Iowa, families of troops, etc. If not all four, maybe have two in state schools play two semi border rivals (Wichita State, Creighton, SLU, etc. and have some reasonably priced tickets so folks can bring kids.

Total pipe dream I know.

Who is Dale Turner? And I am not sure that a program that trying to rebuild right now should be giving up home games especially by moving the game closer to your opponent's campus.

iahawk72

You want us to play ISU at the Well? I hope that never happens. Have any of you been to a basketball game there? It's not a college basketball environment, its more like an NBA setting. It doesn't get loud because its too big and you sit farther away from the court. Also, if you sit in the 3rd deck, you almost need binocs to see the floor.
The atmopshere at Carver and Hilton is 100x better than WFA.
I guarantee ISU will not give up their game against us at Hilton, to play at WFA. And it would be stupid for Iowa to do the same.

Latest posts