Iowa vs Chicago State

ssckelley

Game time is today at 4:05 this afternoon. I am not seeing a preview posted for the game yet, if I see one I'll post it.

Chicago State is 5-11 on the season, they beat NIU yesterday 10-8 to break a 4 game losing streak. This is just a single, mid week, game so I'm guessing Iowa will use a bullpen day for pitching like they did against Simpson.

On the schedule is says it's a BTN Plus game, so you might be able to watch the game via the BTN app.

On the schedule is says it's a BTN Plus game, so you might be able to watch the game via the BTN app.
Just about all Hawks game are BTN Plus, I’m super tempted to subscribe because you could watch almost the entire season. I may do that once conference games start.

Just about all Hawks game are BTN Plus, I’m super tempted to subscribe because you could watch almost the entire season. I may do that once conference games start.

I don't understand why they don't put this stuff on the regular BTN instead of these press conferences and Campus Eats. It must be easier to sell advertising for these shows than it is for live baseball.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Six Hawkeye pitchers combined to throw a one-hitter to lead the University of Iowa baseball team to a 7-2 win over Simpson College on Tuesday at Duane Banks Field. The victory was win No. 10 this season.

“It was good to play a midweek game,” Iowa head coach Rick Heller said. “It’s the first one of the season. We play one again tomorrow night. What better place to be on spring break than the ballpark.”

Iowa’s offense found the scoreboard first, scoring four runs in the second inning on only one hit. The Hawkeyes added one run in the sixth after senior Luke Farley drove in junior Matthew Sosa on a single to right field.

Seven different Hawkeye batters recorded a hit, while junior Ben Norman and Sosa recorded multi-hit games. Sosa, who scored a career-high three runs and went 2-for-3 with a double and a triple, and Norman went 2-for-4 with an RBI.

Freshman Clayton Nettleton made his first career start, pitching three innings, allowing zero hits and one run on two walks and three hit-by-pitches.

With runners on first and second in the third inning, junior Adam Ketelsen relieved Nettleton, and retired the first seven batters he faced. Ketelsen’s final line included 2 2/3 innings of one hit ball where he allowed one run. The southpaw had two strikeouts.

In the top of the eighth, Iowa went to the bullpen with redshirt junior Kyle Shimp who inherited two runners. After Shimp walked the first batter he faced, the left-hander escaped the bases-loaded, no outs jam without giving any runs.

Iowa added two insurance runs in the eighth when sophomore Izaya Fullard scored on a Sosa RBI-triple.

Junior Trace Hoffman (3-1) earned the win, pitching 1 1/3 hitless innings along with two strikeouts. Freshman Drew Irvine pitched a scoreless ninth inning on just four pitches.

QUOTING HEAD COACH RICK HELLER

“We were able to play a lot of guys that weren’t able to play in the last week or so. We got some pitchers on the mound that hadn’t see a lot of innings up until this point. I appreciate (Simpson head) coach (Nathan) Roling and Simpson for coming over on a short notice to play us.

“I was happy with our approach at the plate. They gave us some free bases and we were patient; we didn’t chase. We hit some balls hard and had some bad luck with balls right at guys. For the most part, our approach stayed solid all day long. On defense, we were really solid. We do have to clean some stuff on the mound. We gave up seven walks and three hit-by-pitches. You can’t do that. They scored two runs and only had one hit because of the free bases.”

OF NOTE…

• It was Iowa’s second combined one-hitter of the season. Iowa one-hit Marshall in the third game of the season.
  • Iowa batters recorded eight walks to only three strikeouts.
  • Today marked Norman’s fifth multi-hit game of the season and Sosa’s second.
  • Sosa’s triple in the eighth was his first career three-bagger.
UP NEXT

The Hawkeyes play their second straight midweek game tomorrow, hosting Chicago State at 4:05 p.m. (CT) at Duane Banks Field.

Good idea. 2 months of baseball for $20

Looks like leaving runners on base is a thing again, 8 LOB so far. They are tied 3-3 in the 7th inning.

Game Recap:

IOWA CITY, Iowa
-- The University of Iowa baseball team scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to come from behind to upend Chicago State, 5-4, Wednesday afternoon at Duane Banks Field. It is the Hawkeyes' second walk-off victory in four days.

Iowa has won a season-high four straight games to improve to 11-7 overall heading into Big Ten Conference play this weekend at Indiana.

Trailing 4-3 heading to the ninth, sophomore Izaya Fullard drew a leadoff walk before stealing second and third base to get into scoring position. With one out, junior Austin Martin tied the game on a RBI-double to left field.

Martin then came around to score the game-winning run after junior Ben Norman hit a fly ball that Chicago State's centerfielder Andy Gaytan couldn't corral for the E8, sending the Hawkeyes to the walk-off victory.

Chicago State jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first after sophomore starting pitcher Trenton Wallace allowed a two-out, two-strike single to Daulton Ryans. Wallace, who hit for himself, settled down and scattered four hits over a career-high four innings, while striking out a career-best six batters.

The Hawkeyes scored a run in the first and second innings, while Chicago State added another run in the third. Iowa tied the game at three in the bottom of the fifth on a Martin RBI-single, scoring Fullard.

Freshman Duncan Davitt dominated the middle innings, and retired the first five batters he faced en route to three scoreless innings of relief.

Iowa had a chance to break the game open in the sixth, but senior Tanner Wetrich struck out looking with the bases loaded.

In the top of the eighth, the Cougars took a 4-3 lead off senior pitcher Jason Foster. Junior Kyle Shimp pitched a scoreless ninth to give Iowa a chance before Iowa walked it off in the ninth. Shimp was credited with the win, his first of the season.

QUOTING HEAD COACH RICK HELLER
"It was a tough, close game. There was no panic. I'm happy with how we went about our business. (We had an) errorless game on defense. We had some decent at-bats, but didn't get the knockout blow when we had the chance. Unfortunately, that's been the story for a while. I like the progress. I like the direction we are going."

OF NOTE…
  • Fullard reached base four times and tied a career-high with four runs scored on a 3-for-4 afternoon. Fullard stole two bases in the bottom of the ninth to get into scoring position.
  • Martin, who is hitting a team-best .317, recorded his team-leading eighth multi-hit game of the season. Junior Lorenzo Elion also recorded a multi-hit game from the eight hole.
UP NEXT
The Hawkeyes begin Big Ten play this weekend in Bloomington, Indiana, against Indiana. The Hoosiers (12-8) are riding a five-game winning streak. Friday's series opener will start at 5:05 p.m. (CT).

"It's going to be a tough start. Indiana's hot right now," said Heller. "They've scored double digit runs in four of the last five games, including 15 yesterday against a really good Indiana State team. There ballpark, depending how the wind blows, is a place that you can go in there and knock it out of there.

"We're not built to get into a slugfest with anybody. We're going to have to pitch, play great defense, and take advantage of our opportunities. If we do that, we'll have a chance."

FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
Stay up-to-date on all the happenings with the Iowa baseball program on social media via Twitter (@UIBaseball), Instagram/UIBaseball, and Facebook/IowaBaseball.

Source: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019...a-to-walk-off-victory-over-chicago-state.aspx

Latest posts