Iowa Sport Info Starts to Fight Back Against Pundits

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
(Below is 100% from the Iowa Sports Information Department...the war has begun ;)

GET THE CORRECT FACTS ON IOWA FOOTBALL

It seems popular for national pundits to criticize the University of Iowa football team these days. Many have said Iowa doesn’t belong on the same board with Florida, Texas, Alabama, Cincinnati, TCU, Oregon or Boise State. Iowa’s schedule has been rated the seventh toughest in the nation. Only one team in Big Ten history has beaten Penn State, Michigan State and Wisconsin on the road in the same season (Michigan did it in 1997). The two schools Iowa does not play in the Big Ten this year have the worst overall records (Purdue and Illinois) in the league. To say Iowa hasn’t played a strong enough schedule is to be totally misinformed. Please look at the facts below.

Number of opponents defeated that currently have winning records:

1. Iowa 6

2. Cincinnati 4

TCU 4

4. Oregon 3

5. Boise State 2

Total won-lost records (and winning %) of defeated opponents:

1. Iowa 44-31 .586

2. Oregon 29-28 .508

3. TCU 34-33 .507

4. Cincinnati 30-36 .454

5. Boise State 27-37 .421

Total won-lost records of opponents defeated in their home stadiums (i.e. road wins)

1. Iowa 23-12 .657

2. TCU 19-14 .575

3. Cincinnati 21-20 .512

4. Boise State 14-18 .437

5. Oregon 6-10 .375

Number of defeated opponents ranked in current BCS Top 25:

1. Iowa 3 (Penn State, Arizona, Wisconsin)

Oregon 3 (USC, Utah, California)

3. Boise State 1 (Oregon)

4. Cincinnati 1 (South Florida)

5. TCU 0

Won-lost records of remaining teams left on schedule:

1. Iowa 17-10 .629

2. Oregon 19-12 .612

3. Cincinnnati 19-13 .593

4. Boise State 20-22 .476

5. TCU 15-17 .468

Ok, that covers the teams ranked behind us, but what about Florida, Texas and Alabama? How do their schedules compare???

Ok, that covers the teams ranked behind us, but what about Florida, Texas and Alabama? How do their schedules compare???

Florida has beaten two teams above .500 this year. One being LSU, the other being TROY

They left off Texas, Alabama and Florida because we won't move ahead of them unless they start to lose and we don't. If that happens, we won't need anything to back up our reason for moving ahead of them. This note was intended to help keep us from losing any ground to these other teams in the BCS and to help us move ahead of them in the "people polls" that effect the BCS ranking.

It wouldn't matter what we said about the three ahead of us versus what we have done, we won't move ahead of them unless they lose.

Campaign season is upon us. Iowa has disseminated a fact sheet defending its 9-0 record against "national pundits" who aren't buying in. (tweet from Pat Forde)

I like it!!!!
The Hawks will keep winning on the field and the Sports Info Dept should keep disseminating the facts to the nat'l media.

I wonder if the Sports Info Department also sent out a correct pronunciation guide to the media. I can't take it anymore. I really, seriously, don't think I can take one more Strauss or Spy-vie!

I wonder if the Sports Info Department also sent out a correct pronunciation guide to the media. I can't take it anymore. I really, seriously, don't think I can take one more Strauss or Spy-vie!

But Strauss does rhyme with Krauss...that's the only logic I can place behind that.

Campaign season is upon us. Iowa has disseminated a fact sheet defending its 9-0 record against "national pundits" who aren't buying in. (tweet from Pat Forde)

I shot this back on Pat Forde via Twitter -

look @ the facts & accept what IOWA has done on the field - they should be 4th in all polls....& after bama loses sat. - #3!

Opponents Total Percentage

Alabama 5-3, 2-6, 2-6, 4-4, 4-4, 5-3, 6-3, 4-4 32-33 .490
Florida 3-5, 6-2, 4-4, 4-4, 7-1, 4-4, 4-5, 4-4 36-29 .550

Texas 4-4, 4-4, 6-3, 3-5, 2-6, 5-3, 5-3, 6-2, 35-30 .540

Last edited:
Because we aren't complaining about being behind them. It's the writers and coaches polls where all these teams are ahead of us and shouldn't necessarily be.
I think we can legitimately claim to be better than Fla. (beat by Ark./saved by officials); Alab. (blocked 2 fgs to beat Tenn at Alabama), and even Texas (opponents subpar).

Our schedule is tougher in terms of top teams we've beaten and the fact we did so on the road. If we make our case v. Fla./Ala./Tex. we just as well make the case against the others.

I hate to say it, but a little PR might make a difference. I also wonder if we could close the gap on the voter rankings enough to sneak in with a superior computer ranking with the BCS composite.

I am glad to see this. Fight back, Phil!

So here's my question.......Does this get run by KF before it goes out? I'm just curious because I would think that any piece having to do with the football team would be run through the head coach first. Normally I wouldn't expect KF to sign off on something like this. But we all know he reads news stories quite a bit and he has people inside the program that scan message boards/websites looking for information people have posted (incorrectly) about a player or the team in general (in fact, for a while, I think he had Brian doing this). So I wonder if all the BS being spewed nationally is starting to irk him as well. This would be the best way to fight back......i.e. he doesn't have his name attached to it and he can still play the "we have too much season left to worry about what others are saying about us" card.

Thoughts?

So here's my question.......Does this get run by KF before it goes out? I'm just curious because I would think that any piece having to do with the football team would be run through the head coach first. Normally I wouldn't expect KF to sign off on something like this. But we all know he reads news stories quite a bit and he has people inside the program that scan message boards/websites looking for information people have posted (incorrectly) about a player or the team in general (in fact, for a while, I think he had Brian doing this). So I wonder if all the BS being spewed nationally is starting to irk him as well. This would be the best way to fight back......i.e. he doesn't have his name attached to it and he can still play the "we have too much season left to worry about what others are saying about us" card.

Thoughts?

Yes it goes through KF.

And I understand his "aw, shucks" humble outlook on things but, with the stakes getting up there this year, he (we) have to promote IOWA.

Latest posts