Iowa Recruits State Results

AsicsFanatic

Iowa Recruits State Results (Final)

Cory Clark (126lbs IA Class 3A) 46-1 4 x State Champ
1st Round TF 18-1 over Jonathan Lozano (Sioux City, North)
Quarters Dec 3-0 over Jack Hathaway (Iowa City West)
Semi Fall 3:49 over John Christopher (Spencer) 27-1
Finals Dec 6-2 over Eric Devos (Waverly Shell Rock)

Thomas Gilman (132lbs Neb Class B) 46-1 4 x State Champ
1st Round Fall 3:04 over Jacob Pfeifer (Holdrege)
Quarters Fall 2:34 over Derek Lonowski (Adams Central)
Semi Dec 13-6 over Brandon Dehling (Chadron)
Finals TF 21-6 over Joseph Hayek (Seward)

Topher Carton (132lbs IA Class 2A) 49-2 3 x State Champ, 1 x Runnerup
1st Round TF 24-9 over Dillon Newton (Davis County, Bloomfield)
Quarters MD 18-5 over Jordan Roths (New Hampton)
Semi Dec 5-1 over Zach Mueller (West Delaware)
Finals Lost 3-1 to Brandon Sorensen (Denver -Tripoli)

Connor Ryan (138lbs IA Class 3A) 39-5 4 X State Runnerup
1st Round Fall 1:24 over Sam Dagit (Cedar Falls)
Quarters Fall 1:01 over Ryan Rodriguez (Cedar Rapids, Kennedy)
Semi Dec 5-1 over Nate Harms (Urbandale)
Finals Lost 9-6 to John Meeks (DM Roosevelt)

Alex Meyer (170lbs IA Class 3A) 46-1 1x State Champ, 5th (2011), 6th (2010)
1st Round Fall 2:38 over Gabe Martin (Keokuk)
Quarters MD 19-7 over Parker Sturges (Mason City)
Semi MD 17-8 over Cameron Rathje (CR Prairie)
Finals Dec 10-4 over Colbey Vance (Bettendorf)

Sam Brooks (182lbs IL Class 3A) 38-1 2 x State Champ, 1 x Runnerup
1st Round Fall 3:31 over Joey Welsh, Rockton (Hononegah)
Quarters TF 16-1 over Mitch Morris (Minooka)
Semi MD 19-8 overJordan Ellingwood (Plainfield Central)
Finals Dec 9-2 over Taylor McGiffen (Alton Senior)

Last edited:
I saw a note earlier tonight that Connor Ryan became the first wrestler in Iowa history to be a runner-up 4 times.

I saw a note earlier tonight that Connor Ryan became the first wrestler in Iowa history to be a runner-up 4 times.

I, probably like the rest of the US, don't know squat about wrestling. So those of you that do, tell me why Ryan would be the guy Brands would want? It would seem at first blush like a powerhouse program such as Iowa would be able to bring in 4 time state champions, or at least guys that won state once.

And please understand, this is not a knock on the kid. I just don't have any understanding of the wrestling recruiting process. Is there a specific thing about this wrestler that would indicate he could go from state runner up to national champion? Are there certain kinds of guys that you just want in your training room? How does it work?

I'd want Ryan in my wrestling room. He never quit and stayed offensive. Alot of meeks points came on Ryan shots. That Meeks kid is awfully good though and if memory serves me right, I believe he lost to the sorenson kid a couple years back in a tournament.

I'd want Ryan in my wrestling room. He never quit and stayed offensive. Alot of meeks points came on Ryan shots. That Meeks kid is awfully good though and if memory serves me right, I believe he lost to the sorenson kid a couple years back in a tournament.

I believe Meeks lost once to Sorensens former teammate Levi Wolfensberger earlier in his career(it was like 1-0). I don't think it would happen again.

I, probably like the rest of the US, don't know squat about wrestling. So those of you that do, tell me why Ryan would be the guy Brands would want? It would seem at first blush like a powerhouse program such as Iowa would be able to bring in 4 time state champions, or at least guys that won state once. And please understand, this is not a knock on the kid. I just don't have any understanding of the wrestling recruiting process. Is there a specific thing about this wrestler that would indicate he could go from state runner up to national champion? Are there certain kinds of guys that you just want in your training room? How does it work?

Its not just about state titles, there's guys who've won multiple state titles in states like Alabama, Mississippi, Alaska, Hawaii, etc who wouldn't score an offensive point in the iowa wrestling room, A 4x runner-up in Iowa would be a four time state champ in most states but the wins and losses don't mean nearly as much as style, work ethic, and mindset. if you were to go back and look at the recruiting rankings over the years there is as many blue chip kids who flame out as there are under the radar kids who overachieve.

I believe Brands looks at a kid like Ryan and sees a kid who was good enough to make state finals 4 times, scores well off ties (90 percent of college wrestling is scoring off of ties), has potential to add depth to the lineup, competition in the room, and I have to assume he has a strong work ethic and positive outlook on his place in this Iowa program, you can look back on these very message boards for examples of kids whose attitudes have caused them to fall by the wayside.

I believe Meeks lost once to Sorensens former teammate Levi Wolfensberger earlier in his career(it was like 1-0). I don't think it would happen again.

freestyle? I thought he was an undefeated 4xer.

I, probably like the rest of the US, don't know squat about wrestling. So those of you that do, tell me why Ryan would be the guy Brands would want? It would seem at first blush like a powerhouse program such as Iowa would be able to bring in 4 time state champions, or at least guys that won state once.

And please understand, this is not a knock on the kid. I just don't have any understanding of the wrestling recruiting process. Is there a specific thing about this wrestler that would indicate he could go from state runner up to national champion? Are there certain kinds of guys that you just want in your training room? How does it work?

I'll just add to what Olive said. For Ryan, it's about potential. The Brands are the best lightweight coaches in the nation. If they see the potential, they will put Ryan over the top. With that said, the Meeks' wanted a full ride, because they don't want their kids to have college debt (this is the reason Dad Meeks gave anyways). So Iowa was never really in play. I would not be surprised if Meeks is starting at 141 next year as a true freshman.

Sorenson not only beat meeks a couple years ago but he beat Devos also. Wasn't freestyle. It was a tournament in Waterloo-CedarFalls.

I never realized that they only have 10 FULL scholarships available at D1 schools. They mentioned that briefly in last nights tv coverage. Is that true? If so, that means only like 2-3 per year.

Also, where then is that Meeks kid going?

I never realized that they only have 10 FULL scholarships available at D1 schools. They mentioned that briefly in last nights tv coverage. Is that true? If so, that means only like 2-3 per year.

Also, where then is that Meeks kid going?

At the top schools, no one has a full ride. It is a total of 9.9 for the entire team, so they are broken up by various percentages.

Meeks is going to Iowa State.

Latest posts