Iowa needs a signature win

longtimer

When you look at the Hawk wins the only ranked team they have beaten is Minnesota who I think was ranked 21. Purdue and North Carolina good wins but not ranked.
We have Ohio State Wisconsin and hopefully Michigan coming up and we have to beat a couple of those or our seed in the tournament is going to sink. Unless we get on a real run Fran's string of years with no championship will continue

When you look at the Hawk wins the only ranked team they have beaten is Minnesota who I think was ranked 21. Purdue and North Carolina good wins but not ranked.
We have Ohio State Wisconsin and hopefully Michigan coming up and we have to beat a couple of those or our seed in the tournament is going to sink. Unless we get on a real run Fran's string of years with no championship will continue
Its too bad you don't get credit for rankings when the game is played. Rutgers was #11 (!) in the country when we played them. Northwestern may a.so have been ranked the first time we played them.

Right now I don't care about signature wins, I'll take any wins and as many as I can get. Pretty soon we are going to start playing every other day, (which makes the lack of make up games the last two weeks stupid) and our depth will hopefully give us an advantage as we should have the freshest legs in the Big. Michigan and others will be tested with a daunting schedule.

What's up with Chris Hassel dogging Fran for his response about officiating? It couldn't have been more clear exactly what Fran was saying and it couldn't have been farther from dissing the reporter. Did Hassel really completely misunderstanding what Fran was saying? Even if he did, everyone is coming to Fran's defense and explaining it but he still doesn't care. It's too bad because I dig Hassel, but this is a really bad look for him.

A little over a week ago Iowa had more Q 1 wins than any other team in the country. The over reaction (mostly being stewed by long time trolls of this board) is astonishing.
I don't think it's an overreaction to say -- at this point -- that this team is not as good as the players or most people have thought they would be. The team has lost to MN and IN, and their best win of the year was MN at home or Rutgers on the road. That's not overreaction, that's just fact. 9 games into the BTen season, they are 1/2 game ahead of....Purdue. With their upcoming schedule, they'll have plenty of chances to prove they are a Top 10 or Top 15 team, and I hope they do. But they haven't proved it on the court this season, yet. I don't see how anybody can even contest that statement.

I don't think it's an overreaction to say -- at this point -- that this team is not as good as the players or most people have thought they would be. The team has lost to MN and IN, and their best win of the year was MN at home or Rutgers on the road. That's not overreaction, that's just fact. 9 games into the BTen season, they are 1/2 game ahead of....Purdue. With their upcoming schedule, they'll have plenty of chances to prove they are a Top 10 or Top 15 team, and I hope they do. But they haven't proved it on the court this season, yet. I don't see how anybody can even contest that statement.
They had the largest point margin in the conference before the Indiana game.

With the games that are left on the schedule, they are either going to have a lot of signature wins or a really disappointing record.

Alone in 3rd. Tied for 2nd in the loss column.

Signature wins...Interesting and certainly subjective.

MI - WI
IL - IA
IA - @ RUT
PUR - OSU, @ IN & @ OSU
OSU - @ RUT, @ IL & @ WI
WI - @ RUT
RUT - @ IL & @ IN
IN - @ IA
MN - IA, OSU & MI
PSU - WI
MD - @ WI, @ IL & @ MN
NW - @ OSU
MSU - Zero
NE - Zero

Note - I originally listed wins @ MSU and then removed them. Losing to MSU anywhere is a bad loss right now. This may be the 1st time a team has quit on Izzo.

Lol, They’ve got more quad 1 wins than a lot of teams against a pretty hard schedule and a ton of opportunities coming up. Ya know this thing you’re on is called the internet and you can look that stuff up right?

What's up with Chris Hassel dogging Fran for his response about officiating? It couldn't have been more clear exactly what Fran was saying and it couldn't have been farther from dissing the reporter. Did Hassel really completely misunderstanding what Fran was saying? Even if he did, everyone is coming to Fran's defense and explaining it but he still doesn't care. It's too bad because I dig Hassel, but this is a really bad look for him.
agreed, he’s dug in and doubled down. That turns off most reasonable people.

Lol, They’ve got more quad 1 wins than a lot of teams against a pretty hard schedule and a ton of opportunities coming up. Ya know this thing you’re on is called the internet and you can look that stuff up right?
You can 'LOL' all you want, but 9 games into the BTen season, Penn St. & Maryland have better wins than the Hawks. Again, only a fact -- nothing subjective about it. And if you predicted THAT prior to the BTen season, well, then you are a genius and congrats! No one else did. Hey, I hope the Hawks live up to their lofty ranking in the coming weeks -- they certainly will have the opportunity.

You can 'LOL' all you want, but 9 games into the BTen season, Penn St. & Maryland have better wins than the Hawks. Again, only a fact -- nothing subjective about it. And if you predicted THAT prior to the BTen season, well, then you are a genius and congrats! No one else did. Hey, I hope the Hawks live up to their lofty ranking in the coming weeks -- they certainly will have the opportunity.
Iowa’s resume is gonna have no problems, they are right in line with most of their peers in the top 10 with the bulk of their difficult schedule in front of them

PSU bearing WI at home is not a better win than us winning at RUT. You’re right about MD...but also wrong. I wouldn’t trade our place in the standings or national rankings with MD. So you’re more wrong than right IMO.

As of today, Feb. 1, WI's NET is 17; Rutgers is 34, so I would disagree with you about our win over Rutgers being better than PSU's win over Wisconsin. Also, interesting that currently Rutgers, Maryland & Purdue all have higher RPIs than the Hawks.

As of today, Feb. 1, WI's NET is 17; Rutgers is 34, so I would disagree with you about our win over Rutgers being better than PSU's win over Wisconsin. Also, interesting that currently Rutgers, Maryland & Purdue all have higher RPIs than the Hawks.
We won on the road and they won at home.

Still looking for that signature win. If we don't get a couple good wins before the season ends we are looking at a 4 or 5 seed not the 2 everyone had us listed at! Maybe worse

Still looking for that signature win. If we don't get a couple good wins before the season ends we are looking at a 4 or 5 seed not the 2 everyone had us listed at! Maybe worse
NET has us at 9. So I assume we’re currently a 3 matched with the weakest 2.

NET has us at 9. So I assume we’re currently a 3 matched with the weakest 2.
I think you are correct key will be can we get any signature wins this year. Indiana on the road would be a good place to start. Some trolls on this board are overly sensitive to legitimate criticisms about Fran's in game coaching. Would love to see a health CJ back in the lineup and more spurts of defensive intensity with JT, Perkins and Ullis in the game.

Latest posts