19. Illinois (22-9)
20. Murray State (30-2)
21. Connecticut (23-9)
22. USC (26-7)
23. Boise State (27-7)
24. Colorado State (25-5)
25. Texas (21-11)

Others Receiving Votes
Virginia Tech, South Dakota State, San Diego State, LSU, Loyola Chicago, Memphis, North Carolina, Michigan State, Texas A&M, Alabama, Ohio State, Creighton, Vermont, San Francisco, Davidson, Indiana, Seton Hall, Longwood, Yale

USA Today Coaches Top 25 (3/14)
1. Gonzaga (31) (26-3)
2. Arizona (1) (31-3)
3. Kansas (28-6)
4. Baylor (26-6)
5. Villanova (26-7)
6. Kentucky (26-7)
7. Auburn (27-5)
8. Tennessee (26-7)
9. Purdue (27-7)
10. Duke (28-6)
11. Texas Tech (25-9)
12. UCLA (25-7)
13. Providence (25-5)
14. Wisconsin (24-7)
15. Houston (29-5)
16t. Illinois (22-9)
16t. St. Mary's (25-7)
18. Arkansas (25-8)
19. Iowa (26-9)
20. Murray State (30-2)
21. Connecticut (23-9)
22. USC (26-7)
23. Boise State (27-7)
24. Virginia Tech (23-12)
25. Texas (21-11)

Others Receiving Votes
Colorado State, Michigan State, North Carolina, Seton Hall, Creighton, Texas A&M, South Dakota State, Loyola Chicago, Davidson, Memphis, Marquette, LSU, San Diego State, Alabama, Ohio State, Wake Forest, San Francisco, Akron, Vermont

Further proof that we should have been a 4 seed.
Wasn't gonna work that way. How much were they gonna raise us?? 2 slots?? 3 slots?? Doubtful it was gonna be more than 2 and even if they moved us up 3 we would still be a 5. A higher 5 but still a 5. Pretty much a moot argument since we were the last 5 seed.

Again with the rankings. They don't hold as much as people think. A NET ranking of 14 and 16 in the polls = 4 seed right? No because they don't even buy in that much and it is only a piece of the pie that is a teams resume. You want that to be the big % for them to judge? Illinois can't seed behind Iowa because Iowa is ahead in the poll and the NET. Illinois beat us twice and tied for the conference championship. You want the 4 seed or better you might need to do better than 12-8, 5 seed in the conference.

Right now you might give Iowa a 2 seed but they don't forget about the rest of the year. Last 10 games is a thing but another slice of that pie. That certainly brought us up from the 10 we were a several weeks ago. 4 was a bit too much to ask. Bringing that up to a 5 should be celebrated. Heck of an achievement plus our road is a bit better this way so can't look a gift horse as they say.

Further proof that we should have been a 4 seed.
Wasn't gonna work that way. How much were they gonna raise us?? 2 slots?? 3 slots?? Doubtful it was gonna be more than 2 and even if they moved us up 3 we would still be a 5. A higher 5 but still a 5. Pretty much a moot argument since we were the last 5 seed.

Again with the rankings. They don't hold as much as people think. A NET ranking of 14 and 16 in the polls = 4 seed right? No because they don't even buy in that much and it is only a piece of the pie that is a teams resume You want that to be a big % for them? Illinois can't seed behind Iowa because Iowa is ahead in the poll and the NET. Illinois beat us twice and tied for the conference championship. You want the 4 seed or better you might need to do better than 12-8, 5 seed in the conference.

Right now you might give Iowa a 2 seed but they don't forget about the rest of the year. Last 10 games is a thing but another slice of that pie. That certainly brought us up from the 10 we were a several weeks ago. 4 was a bit too much to ask. Bringing that up to a 5 should be celebrated. Heck of an achievement plus our road is a bit better this way so can't look a gift horse as they say.
Here’s how it should have shaken out…

https://forum.hawkeyenation.com/threads/formulaic-tournament-selection-and-seeding.93914/

Of course, we have to play #14 Providence

After pulling the legs off the spiders

Then squashing them with a hardy stomp

Providence is tough

Beat Wisconsin, Texas Tech and lost by 2 at Villanova late in the season

Just another pretender to destroy

Just another stop along the way to Final Four Glory

:cool:

Providence squeaked by most of the time. Don't see them able to run a good team out of the gym. Close games even with okay teams. Providence scoring margin is 4.8. Iowa is 12.5 scoring margin. 74th vs. 9th. They have a good coach and a veteran team but not a big boy with those type of players. Playing Purdue, Illinois, Indiana recently will help. They will get out there on the floor with them and Providence will not faze the Hawks. Just have to bring the effort and play smart. Should have nothing they can't handle.

I actually like Iowa's path as the 5 better than almost all the 4's. I guess UCLA could have it easy. I think giving Iowa the 5 with the shot to go to Chicago was the consolation prize that IMO, could be just fine.

I actually like Iowa's path as the 5 better than almost all the 4's. I guess UCLA could have it easy. I think giving Iowa the 5 with the shot to go to Chicago was the consolation prize that IMO, could be just fine.
We have about the best draw we could have asked for. Kansas is the most beatable for us of all the 1 seeds IMO.

I agree that the committee should have an objective criterion and then tweak based upon eye balls and reality. I would just say that I have really scratched my head following the NET this year. The notion that Iowa should be a 4 seed and Wisconsin a 6 is just laughable. If the computer results have some real head scratcher results, then it might be time to adjust the programming.

I always felt like the old RPI was not that far off of the human polls. The NET has some real disparity. Humans pollsters have biases, but hey, the NET computer was programmed by humans. Maybe there is too much weight put on certain things and not enough on others.

I wish they would wait at least 24 hours after all games (including tournaments) have been played before releasing selections. That would give them more time to make tweaks to the selections.

Providence squeaked by most of the time. Don't see them able to run a good team out of the gym. Close games even with okay teams. Providence scoring margin is 4.8. Iowa is 12.5 scoring margin. 74th vs. 9th. They have a good coach and a veteran team but not a big boy with those type of players. Playing Purdue, Illinois, Indiana recently will help. They will get out there on the floor with them and Providence will not faze the Hawks. Just have to bring the effort and play smart. Should have nothing they can't handle.
Providence won close games like Wisconsin did. And Rutgers to an extent. But they better be ready for the Jackrabbits. And a track meet.

Providence won close games like Wisconsin did. And Rutgers to an extent. But they better be ready for the Jackrabbits. And a track meet.
If Providence gets past them it should be a warm up game to play Iowa since they (SDSU) play a similar style to us. Our defense is much better and we're more athletic and bigger than SDSU - but damn they can shoot the 3.