Iowa/Miami of Ohio several years back.

WildTurkey

I was at this game i believe. The hawks won 21-3 or something.
My question is.. Was Big Ben the quarterback against the hawks that day?

Yes. Pretty much ended his Heisman campaign the first week of the season. I think he threw 4 INT's.

This is the game that sprung the ESPN segment with Roth and his 2 words..."Iowa Hawkeye Pride".

Yes he was. He actually had a pretty good game from what I remember. They just couldn't convert any drives into points. I think Ben may have thrown a pick or two, but I remember being pretty nervous throughout that game because he was making plays.

*This is just the way I remember it, I could be wrong. I didn't go back and look at the stats or anything. If you really wanted to know I'm sure you could google it.

Ben then won something like his next 25 starts, including college and pro.

Ben executed a quick kick that one of our CBs returned 90 yards for a TD.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXuJxBzrRI]Iowa Hawkeyes on Big Ben Roethlisberger - YouTube[/ame]

"Circle of life man"

Wow. At the time of the game i never knew who Ben was. Nice job hawks on keeping a future superbowl winning QB in check! How did this guy not play D1 ball?

2002 Iowa 29 Miami 24
[FONT=arial,geneva]Iowa[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]Cmp [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Att [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Yds [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Int [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Banks, Brad[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]18[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]27[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]256[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]0[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,geneva]Miami (Ohio)[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]Cmp [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Att [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Yds [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Int [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Roethlisberger, Ben[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]33[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]51[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]343[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]1[/FONT]

I remember that the ESPN coverage was all Ben all the time. They opened the telecast with footage of Ben giving a rousing pregame speech to his team and then the commentators spent the entire game talking about Roethlisberger while the Iowa defense shut him down.

2002 Iowa 29 Miami 24
[FONT=arial,geneva]Iowa[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]Cmp [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Att [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Yds [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Int [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Banks, Brad[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]18[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]27[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]256[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]0[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,geneva]Miami (Ohio)[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]Cmp [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Att [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Yds [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Int [/FONT][FONT=arial,geneva]Roethlisberger, Ben[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]33[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]51[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]343[/FONT] [FONT=arial,geneva]1[/FONT]

The OP was referring to the 2003 game. Big Ben threw 4 picks that game.

Miami (OH) RedHawks vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - Box Score - August 30, 2003 - ESPN

Wow. At the time of the game i never knew who Ben was. Nice job hawks on keeping a future superbowl winning QB in check! How did this guy not play D1 ball?

The MAC is part of D1. Its not a BCS conference, but lots of good players end up outside of the BCS. Stanzi was thisclose to playing in the MAC. Same with Bob Sanders.

Yes he was. He actually had a pretty good game from what I remember. They just couldn't convert any drives into points. I think Ben may have thrown a pick or two, but I remember being pretty nervous throughout that game because he was making plays.

*This is just the way I remember it, I could be wrong. I didn't go back and look at the stats or anything. If you really wanted to know I'm sure you could google it.

That was the year before when the Hawks played at Miami. Squeaked out of there with a win.

Ben was a super recruit coming out of High School in Ohio. Turned down some good offers because he liked Coach Hoeppner and the offense at Miami of Ohio. The one interception he threw in the game was in the endzone at the end of a long drive. We had no idea he was going to be so good at eating cheeseburgers, crashing motorcycles, getting in trouble at dive bars at 3AM, or winning Superbowls back then.

It was a trendy pick (including Kirk Herbsteit) that Labor day weekend of 2003 for Big Ben to lead his team to an upset of Iowa.

Two things about the 2002 game. What a tough game, somewhat fortunate to win that game and that was a one-loss regular season. Secondly, on the road at a MAC school? Last time that will happen. (neutral site games at SF don't count)

Two things about the 2002 game. What a tough game, somewhat fortunate to win that game and that was a one-loss regular season. Secondly, on the road at a MAC school? Last time that will happen. (neutral site games at SF don't count)

I was so pumped after winning this game because we walked into a hornets nest in this one and came out with the W. They moved their student section down and had a good turnout. Big Ben was a relative unknown but they knew he was capable of putting up points against our D. This was as tough of a game as we had all year and a big win.

I was so pumped after winning this game because we walked into a hornets nest in this one and came out with the W. They moved their student section down and had a good turnout. Big Ben was a relative unknown but they knew he was capable of putting up points against our D. This was as tough of a game as we had all year and a big win.

Totally agree, very good win on the road against a tough opponent. MAC or not.

You must not have watched Gameday or read any of the local newspapers as most knew who Ben was. The game was hyped as a potential upset in both 2002 and 2003, we all knew Big Ben was going to be a NFL quarterback. Another poster nailed it, that 2003 game pretty much ended the Heisman discussion for him. The preseason AP poll had Iowa with 8 votes and Miami with 5, Miami ended the season ranked 10th. That win in 2003 propelled Iowa into the top 25 when the next poll came out.

Latest posts