Iowa Football Visit A Lifetime Memory for Kaspers

Was the Kasper family upset that O'Keefe is no longer "on the staff?" I can see why his departure would cause consternation among those seeking to play QB or WR for Iowa. O'Keefe coached WRs in the NFL so the dude knows what's up.
I'm guessing that Iowa wasn't really a destination for him other than growing up a fan. I think 1. He didn't grow up in the Midwest and 2. He's wanting to get to the NFL like his dad and was looking for an offense that would highlight his speed and skill.

Probably. I suspect there is a bidding war for the top 100 or maybe top 200, but after that it's probably more like "you might earn some NIL funds if you pan out."
Oh yeah especially for those guys and I would bet probably even more. You may not see schools like Illinois Purdue, Rutgers shell out for a roster full of guys but they'll try to cherry pick for a Qb or stud player here and there when they can. I don't think we'll see many starting QBs playing for free anywhere so they'll all be offered something.

KF I hope would be trying to get on the same page with big boosters so when a kid like Kyler comes along they can really go after him. Granted when Oregon and Nike are the competition it is what it is. Since Iowa can't offer him a stud QB or 10 targets a game they should at least offer em a bag of $.

It's like if Walmart continues to be involved with Arkansas. Their basketball team is starting to mop up recruits and I suspect football will too I'd watch out for that. The Walmarts and Nikes are in a different stratosphere then everyone else if they want to be

Oh yeah especially for those guys and I would bet probably even more. You may not see schools like Illinois Purdue, Rutgers shell out for a roster full of guys but they'll try to cherry pick for a Qb or stud player here and there when they can. I don't think we'll see many starting QBs playing for free anywhere so they'll all be offered something.

KF I hope would be trying to get on the same page with big boosters so when a kid like Kyler comes along they can really go after him. Granted when Oregon and Nike are the competition it is what it is. Since Iowa can't offer him a stud QB or 10 targets a game they should at least offer em a bag of $.

It's like if Walmart continues to be involved with Arkansas. Their basketball team is starting to mop up recruits and I suspect football will too I'd watch out for that. The Walmarts and Nikes are in a different stratosphere then everyone else if they want to be

If oil stays north of $90 a barrel for another half decade, all big Texas schools and Oklahoma State will probably be flush with cash, too. That probably doesn't mean much for Iowa, but if A&M or UT can sway just 4 guys a year out of the Bama-Georgia pipeline it could have huge implications to the championship landscape. I love the Hawks, but we are light years from being near that convo. Kicks pebble.

If oil stays north of $90 a barrel for another half decade, all big Texas schools and Oklahoma State will probably be flush with cash, too. That probably doesn't mean much for Iowa, but if A&M or UT can sway just 4 guys a year out of the Bama-Georgia pipeline it could have huge implications to the championship landscape. I love the Hawks, but we are light years from being near that convo. Kicks pebble.
All true. Granted the pool of kids yr to yr is still going to be what it is. How they allocate themselves will be what might change. How many kids will be like that guy that went to OSU and then to Texas just to cash a paycheck pretty much? He knew he wasn't probably going to win that job right away. That's the sort of thing the Bamas and Clemsons are afraid of. You hear those coaches bitch about NIL and the transfer portal well what turns into is a huge waste of their coaches time. To think of all what OSU put into recruiting that kid getting him paid then he gone after one RS season of not playing. Those kids that get paid still want to play and not ride the bench.

All true. Granted the pool of kids yr to yr is still going to be what it is. How they allocate themselves will be what might change. How many kids will be like that guy that went to OSU and then to Texas just to cash a paycheck pretty much? He knew he wasn't probably going to win that job right away. That's the sort of thing the Bamas and Clemsons are afraid of. You hear those coaches bitch about NIL and the transfer portal well what turns into is a huge waste of their coaches time. To think of all what OSU put into recruiting that kid getting him paid then he gone after one RS season of not playing. Those kids that get paid still want to play and not ride the bench.

I think Mr. Saban and Dabo are complaining because they know they're toast. Clemson probably has a smaller fanbase than Iowa. Bama draws viewers and clearly has more fans than Iowa, but I don't think it is by a huge margin or anything. But when you get into the OSUs, UTs , Floridas etc. of the world, the fanbase size and wealth can generate a lot of juice that you ain't ever gonna get at Bama or Clemson. Take the 2018 Clemson team as an example. Assume they now lose on two of their top targets who opt for big paydays at Georgia or Florida or Tennessee, all of which are massive schools with deep pocketed fanbases. Now look at the team. Suddenly you ain't got Trevor Lawrence or that stud d-lineman. Ruh roh. You spread out a few of the difference maker guys and the landscape looks totally different, and really bad if you are Clemson or Bama.

I think Mr. Saban and Dabo are complaining because they know they're toast. Clemson probably has a smaller fanbase than Iowa. Bama draws viewers and clearly has more fans than Iowa, but I don't think it is by a huge margin or anything. But when you get into the OSUs, UTs , Floridas etc. of the world, the fanbase size and wealth can generate a lot of juice that you ain't ever gonna get at Bama or Clemson. Take the 2018 Clemson team as an example. Assume they now lose on two of their top targets who opt for big paydays at Georgia or Florida or Tennessee, all of which are massive schools with deep pocketed fanbases. Now look at the team. Suddenly you ain't got Trevor Lawrence or that stud d-lineman. Ruh roh. You spread out a few of the difference maker guys and the landscape looks totally different, and really bad if you are Clemson or Bama.
For sure it gets schools like TN back in the game more. That and a coach being worth a crap and staying around. Their coaching issues have been well documented recently. It is funny though how a difference making QB can pretty much make all the difference.

Shifting gears from the NIL/Portal side of things to Lawrence may not have won it all all 4 yrs but he had them right there in the hunt. You can't hide your QB in college football as Steve Deace likes to say and yet that's precisely what Iowa has tried to do. It's pretty much their philosophy as BF said awhile ago. They just don't look at QBs as play makers so much as John Stockton type of PGs who run the O and distribute. We seem to want to rely on the other teams defenses making mistakes instead of us making plays. Its a frustrating style and tough to recruit to...

All those schools already in the Top 10 for cash as it is. I don't think oil prices will affect that much.

Latest posts