IOWA football awards announced

PJHawk

IOWA CITY, IA – - Seniors Ricky Stanzi and Karl Klug have been named co-winners of the 2010 Roy J. Carver Most Valuable Player Award for Iowa’s football team. The announcement came today (Saturday) at the team’s annual awards banquet in Iowa City.

Stanzi, a 6-4, 230-pound quarterback from Mentor, OH, earned his second straight Roy J. Carver MVP Award. He shared it with linebacker Pat Angerer last year. He was one of five finalists for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, which goes annually to the nation’s top collegiate senior quarterback. He was also a semifinalist for the Maxwell and Davey O’Brien Awards.

Both players shared in numerous other awards given out at the banquet.

Both were named co-winners of the Hayden Fry “Extra Heartbeat” Award. They shared the award with senior defensive end Adrian Clayborn. Clayborn, a first-team all-American by the American Football Coaches Association and the Walter Camp Foundation, was first team all-Big Ten by both the coaches and the media. Clayborn has started 29 straight games and 36 during his career. `The Hayden Fry Award is given in honor of Iowa’s Hall of Fame coach who retired after the 1998 season. The award goes to a player who gives that little bit extra at all times.

Klug was also given the “Iron Hawk Award”. It is presented to a Hawkeye who has given his all every play, for the entire season, and has represented his team and school in an exemplary fashion

Klug, Stanzi are Hawkeye MVPs | TheGazette

Please please tell me this is a complete joke? Those are the worst people one could pick for those awards. Those were two of the worst performing starters on there side of the ball. Klug was invisible for most of the games. He would try hard for about three plays all game. Stanzi wasn't near as good as his numbers indicated. We had guys runing open all year long. He usually had all day to throw. Everybody knows that Clayborn was doging it all year long. If these truely are the actual awards then our coaches are truely insane!

I wonder if during the ceremonies they reviewed the team stats this year. If they did they wouldn't be giving awards at all. And yes these are like the Dundies! LOL

Worst OC and best QB killer: Ken O'Keefe

Did that one get presented?

Please please tell me this is a complete joke? Those are the worst people one could pick for those awards. Those were two of the worst performing starters on there side of the ball. Klug was invisible for most of the games. He would try hard for about three plays all game. Stanzi wasn't near as good as his numbers indicated. We had guys runing open all year long. He usually had all day to throw. Everybody knows that Clayborn was doging it all year long. If these truely are the actual awards then our coaches are truely insane!
Please go away. You are a tool. Go back to your gamebox.

I saw these in todays paper and the 1st thing I thought was what a joke. Not who got the awards but like 2 to 5 people win each award. Should be one per award and maybe two but that is it.

I can still vividly see Klug taking the worst angle ever on the 4th and 10 Pryor roll-back across the field...ughhh!

Please select one:

A) I quit Midget Football in 5th grade after someone made me cry.
2) I'm not just football stoopid, I'm regular stoopid.

Surprised Robinson didn't get the Hayden Fry award. He was ALWAYS giving that extra little bit.

Latest posts