Iowa= Destination school?

bigdrumtuner

In light of Frans recent contract extension, how many people see Iowa as a destination school for coaches? I personally think that we have above average coaching staffs at all the major sports. Are we in jeopardy of losing any of them to a "bigger, more name" school? Or do you think they are lifers?

As far as football, men's basketball (will become one), and wrestling, I think Iowa is a destination school unless extenuating circumstances arrive (ie. Head coach receives job offer from prestigious alma matter).

Last edited:
Miller, Lute, Ravelling, Alford.

Destination school?

Not sure why Miller left.
As for the other three (and please let me know if I'm wrong):

Lute's wife hated the cold.

Raveling was single and felt "social opportunities" in IC were limited.

Alford would have loved to stay if he wasn't expected to win a few games in the post season. Always thought it was more a case of quitting before he was fired.

Miller, Lute, Ravelling, Alford. Destination school?
Not sure why Miller left. As for the other three (and please let me know if I'm wrong):Lute's wife hated the cold.Raveling was single and felt "social opportunities" in IC were limited.Alford would have loved to stay if he wasn't expected to win a few games in the post season. Always thought it was more a case of quitting before he was ffired.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGQ-ISsDm8M&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Last edited:
Well played Duffman - Blazing Sadles references always win.

It is a destination school for the following reasons.

1) Great facilities
2) Great fan support
3) Great money

If you coach in college athletics, living in large metropolitan or even small metropolitan areas isn't part of the gig. You have to be ok with living in places called Tuscaloosa, Chapel Hill, Bloomington and Iowa City. You get this? Iowa City - biggest misnomer of a name ever.

Anyway - while there are certainly better jobs to be had in both sports, 95% of the jobs are lateral moves at best.

not in basketball...hopefully will be but it isnt. the past shows that basketball isnt...you can give excuses why those people left but they left because iowa isnt where they wanted to finish. kf has said he wants to end in iowa (destination).

As far as football, men's basketball (will become one), and wrestling, I think Iowa is a destination school unless extenuating circumstances arrive (ie. Head coach receives job offer from prestigious alma matter).

Basketball (never has been, never will be)
Football (Destination school for a coach who enjoys security and somewhat manageable expectations. Not a destination school for elite coaches who like to gamble with what might be around the corner)
Wrestling (Destination School)

There are plenty of big time Athletic programs in cities at or over 1 milion people.
Texas
Miami
ucla
USC
Columbus
Minnesota
Northwestern
Washington
Louisville
Pittsburgh
etc.....

Latest posts