Iowa couldn’t get the ball inside

NikeHawk21

The strength of this team is obviously Cook and Garza inside surrounded by some shooters, however I think Pitt showed other teams the book on slowing down this offense (UMKC did this as well).

Relentlessly pressure our guards while fronting and side fronting our bigs. That will keep the ball out of the post and force Iowa to pass it around the perimeter. Iowa has hardly any penetrators to strike fear into and opponent and make them think twice about this strategy.

The strength of this team is obviously Cook and Garza inside surrounded by some shooters, however I think Pitt showed other teams the book on slowing down this offense (UMKC did this as well).

Relentlessly pressure our guards while fronting and side fronting our bigs. That will keep the ball out of the post and force Iowa to pass it around the perimeter. Iowa has hardly any penetrators to strike fear into and opponent and make them think twice about this strategy.

It didn't help that Garza didn't have it tonight. If he makes a couple jump shots, he gets going and starts fighting for position more. Cook just isnt the greatest in half court offense. Hes great in the fast break and secondary break before the defense is set tho.

Thankfully Iowa's defense was better in the 2nd half and Pitt kept turning it over. Iowa offense not as efficient in the 2nd half though overall. Free-throw blues returned for Iowa.

Thought Iowa's guard's got killed on the dribble drive in the first half exposing Iowa's lack of quickness defensively yet again.

We are better, but we got lucky tonight. Important we got the W with the tough stretch we are facing.

Honestly, Iowa has more than a few guys who can go off from the perimeter if they pack it in the paint and gear up to stop our bigs, and not every team will be able to do it effectively.
Iowa very much has guys that can go off from the perimeter, but the way for us to do that is establish the bigs inside and then kick it out. Pitt didn’t pack it in the past, they pressured our guards so they couldn’t post entry and it led to bad possessions and turnovers. Iowa doesn’t have the penetrating guys to be a drive and kick team unfortunately.

Honestly, Iowa has more than a few guys who can go off from the perimeter if they pack it in the paint and gear up to stop our bigs, and not every team will be able to do it effectively.

That's true. Not every team is equipped to take away our strength, even if they know how to. Undoubtedly we will run into teams that can take Garza and Cook away and we will lose. We aren't going to win them all.

It didn't help that Garza didn't have it tonight. If he makes a couple jump shots, he gets going and starts fighting for position more. Cook just isnt the greatest in half court offense. Hes great in the fast break and secondary break before the defense is set tho.
Cook needs to go to the block and Iowa needs to run some sets to get him the ball on the block. When he catches it on the elbow it’s not that effective. Sometimes he gets a step and dunks it but sometimes he loses the dribble for a turnover and sometimes he bulls into the defender for a charge.

That's true. Not every team is equipped to take away our strength, even if they know how to. Undoubtedly we will run into teams that can take Garza and Cook away and we will lose. We aren't going to win them all.
UMKC and Pitt did it out of necessity of being undermanned in the post. The point of my OP is that college coaches will learn from that. Most college teams can apply ball pressure and side front and front the post. Again this is due to Iowa being limited in not having really any penetrators which is well documented.

UMKC and Pitt did it out of necessity of being undermanned in the post. The point of my OP is that college coaches will learn from that. Most college teams can apply ball pressure and side front and front the post. Again this is due to Iowa being limited in not having really any penetrators which is well documented.

Well than Fran is going to need to find a way to attack it. Hopefully he can.

Iowa very much has guys that can go off from the perimeter, but the way for us to do that is establish the bigs inside and then kick it out. Pitt didn’t pack it in the past, they pressured our guards so they couldn’t post entry and it led to bad possessions and turnovers. Iowa doesn’t have the penetrating guys to be a drive and kick team unfortunately.

It would help if every half court possession didn't look like the four corners. I couldn't figure out what they were even attempting to do on offense tonight. It looked like last year, stand around and chuck a three from the Quad Cities.

Some positives - d was much better in the second half. Rebounding is much, much improved. They actually were in the right position for those boards. Bohannon tried to penetrate and I thought got a few cheap offensive fouls called on what looked like good drives to me. Won a close one and won a game where the opponent took away our transition game. That hasn't happened in a while.

Basketball 101

I’m encouraged that we can win in different ways. We also have had different guys step up in scoring on different nights. It’s hard to prepare and help off much with so many different guys that can score.

Hopefully they’ll play a little better against Wiscy.

I just hope Wieskamp keeps getting better as the year goes on. That is a legit possibility, and if it happens, our ceiling is even higher.

We needed a game like this to get us ready for B1G play. Cause you just know when we go against Izzo, he’s gonna try his mug and thug style of play.

I’m encouraged that we can win in different ways. We also have had different guys step up in scoring on different nights. It’s hard to prepare and help off much with so many different guys that can score.

Hopefully they’ll play a little better against Wiscy.
Screw it. I just want to beat teh Clowns.

Pitt really jammed the lane and made it hard to go inside. We'll see a lot more of this in league play. Our bigs are going to have to hit shots away from the lane to open things up.