Iowa City West destroys Minneapolis team on Sat

Mpls DeLaSalle HS offered 3 consecutive state Champ, IC West a nice tune-up for contending for
its 4th straight (NEVER been done before in Iowa) run to another State title.

Wali Parks leads West High in scoring. Very likely that all 5 West starters will play major
college basketball.

Looks like good news for the dominant Hoops program in Iowa, UNI.

Not sure what you are driving at. Fran should build a B1G team of IC West players? Or UNI is going to get a bunch of stiffs? Or you are a Fairfax wannabe?

I think he is saying that a small city high school just beat a mid+ size 3-time state champion.

I lived in Illinois a couple years about 15 years ago and they didn't think Iowa HSers play quality basketball.

Wrong then. Wrong now.

Mpls DeLaSalle HS offered 3 consecutive state Champ, IC West a nice tune-up for contending for

Did Palmer make it four in a row? I know they won over 100 straight games

Did Palmer make it four in a row? I know they won over 100 straight games

No. They won three in a row with Neil Fegebank and won three more in a row with Troy Skinner.

And I'd put the Iowa City Regina squads of the late '70s up against any team. They did miss out on one year but won 3/4. They only played in class A, but their conference was the Mississippi Valley Conference with all the Iowa City schools and the Cedar Rapids schools, and they kicked EVERYBODY. In 1979 they beat the 3A State Champion twice during their conference season. They were led by Mark Gannon, but IIRC the top six all got D-I basketball offers.

Wali Parks leads West High in scoring. Very likely that all 5 West starters will play major
college basketball.

Still not as good as the Ames team from early 2000's or the Mason City team from the late 90's

college basketball.

Might want to rethink that quote!

North Linn 57 West 51
Neither DiLeo or McCaffery, who averaged a combined 29 points a game, had a field goal, with all seven of their points (DiLeo three and McCaffery 4) coming in the final 4:11 and from the free-throw line.

No. They won three in a row with Neil Fegebank and won three more in a row with Troy Skinner.

And I'd put the Iowa City Regina squads of the late '70s up against any team. They did miss out on one year but won 3/4. They only played in class A, but their conference was the Mississippi Valley Conference with all the Iowa City schools and the Cedar Rapids schools, and they kicked EVERYBODY. In 1979 they beat the 3A State Champion twice during their conference season. They were led by Mark Gannon, but IIRC the top six all got D-I basketball offers.

That was a good Regina squad, but the top 6 didn't get D-1 offers. As a matter of fact, the IC West team that won the title with Waite and Bontrager beast the Regina team. We know what Waite did in college and if I remember right Bontrager played in the NCAA tournament with Oral Roberts. That West High team was tough. They also had Harris, Judge, the Savre twins and I am sure I am missing a few more.

Yeah, and I was living in Iowa City in that time period of the Regina teams in the late 70s. I had a few friends who went to Regina and they said they could be Lute's Hawks. I just laughed at them. Mark Gannon was just an averge player at Iowa although he had a knee injury which didnt help.

Might want to rethink that quote!

North Linn 57 West 51
Neither DiLeo or McCaffery, who averaged a combined 29 points a game, had a field goal, with all seven of their points (DiLeo three and McCaffery 4) coming in the final 4:11 and from the free-throw line.

I saw 3 D-1 players on the court yesterday. Two of them played for North Scott and the other was Connor McCaffery. Don't be fooled by his lack of scoring. He has great court vision and has a very high basketball IQ. It's hard to score if you're setting up teammates and everyone else on the team is playing AAU ball...shoot it if you touch it. Connor was open on so many back door cuts to the basket and getting himself free for 3 and his teammates never found him. If he could have cloned himself both Connors would have scored 15 points IMO.

Latest posts