Iowa City bars on game day...

Hawked

Do the bars downtown open early for an 11am kick? Not really my thing but I'm taking someone new to the Pitt game and they want to hit up a bar or 2 before the game. Thanks.

go to Micky's opens at 7am. I used to manage there (look at avatar), but you need to get there at 6:30 to get a seated table. bloodies there are the best, home made.

the line will go around atlas, there's regulars that know this.

either order the eggs Benedict, or Mexicali alley.

Lou is the owner and head chef, still cooks every game day!

Last edited:
I should amend that to say I think we have a hookup. Haven't gotten the confirmation yet. It's a friend of a relative situation. The guy we are trying to get tix from is a BIG ISU donor. I'm not sure he knows that Iowa fans are going to be using the tix. I have heard they are two rows back from the ISU bench.

The Airliner is always great atmosphere. Open at 8 this year, a 20 or so ingredient, make your own bloody marys and some of the best pizza in Iowa City. This year they're starting breakfast pizza and made to order doughnuts.

I should amend that to say I think we have a hookup. Haven't gotten the confirmation yet. It's a friend of a relative situation. The guy we are trying to get tix from is a BIG ISU donor. I'm not sure he knows that Iowa fans are going to be using the tix. I have heard they are two rows back from the ISU bench.

Bummers. Good luck on getting your own tix though. I'll have to represent for everybody then.

I dunno if the weather had an impact or not. This was my first game-day in IC in many years.

Got a table at Joe's Place (we're old now) on our third posession, so several minutes into the game. Watched there for awhile. Moved on during the rain delay. It did start filling up quite a bit more towards halftime. Did some black and gold shopping around town, and sat down for lunch in the old Miscue that's now a pricey (for a college town) pizza place. PLENTY of tables there. Only two TVs, though.

The more, college-age places were thronged as usual.

One thing that's noticeable. With the new smoking laws in place, it is impossible to CHOOSE to avoid secondhand smoke by going to places that CHOOSE to be smoke-free. Iowa City should now be forced to supply free airmask stations at each intersection and at all the entrances to the ped mall so that you can pick up a free airmask and tank should you have the need to walk down a sidewalk or walk through the ped mall.

go to Micky's opens at 7am. I used to manage there (look at avatar), but you need to get there at 6:30 to get a seated table. bloodies there are the best, home made.

the line will go around atlas, there's regulars that know this.

either order the eggs Benedict, or Mexicali alley.

Lou is the owner and head chef, still cooks every game day!

As a bartender across the street I laugh at you saying a line around Atlas. Times have changed since you skipped town sir...

back in the day, used to go to the sports column. but like another poster indicated, you have to get into these places early.

One thing that's noticeable. With the new smoking laws in place, it is impossible to CHOOSE to avoid secondhand smoke by going to places that CHOOSE to be smoke-free. Iowa City should now be forced to supply free airmask stations at each intersection and at all the entrances to the ped mall so that you can pick up a free airmask and tank should you have the need to walk down a sidewalk or walk through the ped mall.

In theory, the whole ped-mall area is supposed to be smoke-free.

back in the day, used to go to the sports column. but like another poster indicated, you have to get into these places early.

It all depends on who is in town. With this years home schedule being pretty lame trust me you don't gotta be down there as early as you think. Throw in the 21 ordinance and the way police patrol the area it's not as busy downtown as back in the day. Just a fact. And the Sports Column is serving breakfast this year as well and opens between 6-630.

It all depends on who is in town. With this years home schedule being pretty lame trust me you don't gotta be down there as early as you think. Throw in the 21 ordinance and the way police patrol the area it's not as busy downtown as back in the day. Just a fact. And the Sports Column is serving breakfast this year as well and opens between 6-630.

pat - yeah, i haven't been there for a long, long time. And i didn't consider all the variables that have come to pass since then.

i remember the first time i went there for a game - iowa v. michigan at michigan - 1990 perhaps - when we won on derby's late int 24-23. i believe i sat next to owen gill at the bar. those were the days! :) place was crazy.

Latest posts