Iowa Basketball Bounces Back Against Rutgers

Even though I was extremely busy tonight with something, I did pop in and out as much as possible to catch some of the game. I was greatly relieved to see them win this game. I hope this can be the beginning of a long long win streak through out the rest of the regular season, into the big ten tournament and into the NCAA tournament.

Iowa was very good tonight. CJ really helps
I thought I saw him out there in the few minutes I watched. With his height and good shooting abilities he draws the attention of the defense which helps to free up some of the heavy attention that Joe W gets so they can’t just focus on Joe W.

I know CJ had gone though a little bit of a slump before his injury but on the shots he had taken and missed during that slump he was still able to get good looks for open shots. He is just too good of shooter for defenses to let him get open. His height also makes him a threat to take it hope. I am glad to see him back and playing again.

IMO, I loved when Pat and Keagen where out on the floor together with either Nunge or Luka at the 5 - along with Joe W and either Jordan or Joe T at the 1. They ran basically that combo the entire first half and the D was the best it's been and we rebounded out of it so well. I've been a huge Connor guy and I still am, but we don't lose much when KM is at the 4.

IMO, I loved when Pat and Keagen where out on the floor together with either Nunge or Luka at the 5 - along with Joe W and either Jordan or Joe T at the 1. They ran basically that combo the entire first half and the D was the best it's been and we rebounded out of it so well. I've been a huge Connor guy and I still am, but we don't lose much when KM is at the 4.
No we don't, especially when KM plays as motivated as he did last night. I also appreciated Garza's ability to get the bigs in foul trouble, although I will admit that flop he did was not the best acting job I have ever seen. It worked though. Love to see that repeat at MSU- I am sure Izzo would not be amused!

Wieskamp is playing like a 1st team big 10 player. If he can keep that up and Garza can get back to player of the year level, we should be good. Especially if CJ is good to go.

The ingredients remain there for a deep tournament run. JW has been nothing short of fabulous the last few games. Garza is Garza. The team really has missed CJ's passing and defense it seems.

This remains a deep and talented team. But, tournament runs are fickle.

Also, I have concluded that this team should run very little zone. I know we are not a good man perimeter team, but I would take my chances getting beat off the dribble and getting shots off over Garza and Nunge.

No matter who we have on the floor, we are god awful at rotating. Any decent team can get us to have two guards on one guy and rotating the ball to a WIDE OPEN 3. It has not gotten better. Our guys just have the wrong instincts/communication/coaching.

Use the zone sparingly as a change of pace, but it should not be a staple, Fran.

Good win to get back on track. Now we need to keep that consistency and carry the momentum into the MSU game on Saturday and keep moving in the right direction.

No we don't, especially when KM plays as motivated as he did last night. I also appreciated Garza's ability to get the bigs in foul trouble, although I will admit that flop he did was not the best acting job I have ever seen. It worked though. Love to see that repeat at MSU- I am sure Izzo would not be amused!
Dude did put 2 hands in his back in fairness

Also, I have concluded that this team should run very little zone. I know we are not a good man perimeter team, but I would take my chances getting beat off the dribble and getting shots off over Garza and Nunge.

No matter who we have on the floor, we are god awful at rotating. Any decent team can get us to have two guards on one guy and rotating the ball to a WIDE OPEN 3. It has not gotten better. Our guys just have the wrong instincts/communication/coaching.

Use the zone sparingly as a change of pace, but it should not be a staple, Fran.
I agree with staying away from zone. Not only do we struggle to rotate, but we can't seem to keep the opponents off of the offensive glass and boxing out is much harder playing a zone.

Latest posts