Iowa Announces Color Scheme Games

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Iowa has released it's 2010 schedule of 'Color Games' as you will be able to read in the release below. This includes a 'striped' game like we saw last year against Penn State.

I had an awesome vantage point for that game, as I was on the sidelines working for the Big Ten Network that night. It was one of the coolest sights I have ever seen related to a sporting event, and everyone that took part in pulling that off deserves an all tie helmet sticker.

This year, the striped game is against Northwestern...once again, under the lights. I hope in future years, when possible, Iowa keeps matching up its stripes game with a night contest. Here is the press release:

IOWA CITY, Iowa – Another “colorful†season is planned for historic Kinnick Stadium in 2011. Here is the official schedule of “Color Games†for the University of Iowa:

Be Bold, Wear Gold

Iowa vs. Pittsburgh (Sept. 17)

The Hawkeyes will entertain the Pitt Panthers of the Big East Conference in their second home game of the 2011 season. The game will also be Iowa’s second non-conference game against a Bowl Championship Series team.

The Black and Gold Spirit Game

Iowa vs. Northwestern (Oct. 15)

Fans of the Hawkeyes will once again have the opportunity to “stripe†historic Kinnick Stadium for the enjoyment of a prime time national television audience. Same rules as last year’s game apply: Even number sections wear GOLD, odd number sections wear BLACK.

The 2011 Blackout Game

Iowa vs. Michigan State (Nov. 12)

The home season finale against defending Big Ten Conference champion Michigan State will be the setting for the annual “Blackout†of historic Kinnick Stadium. It’s likely to be chilly, so purchase your black gear today and get ready to help the Hawkeyes close out another exciting home season with a victory over the Spartans.

Iowa opens its 2011 season on Saturday, Sept. 3, against Tennessee Tech. That game will be televised live in high-definition to a national audience by the Big Ten Network. Kickoff is set for shortly after 11 a.m., Iowa time.

Jon, will you be doing any work for the BTN this year?

TBD...have some opportunities in the works for post game stuff and just have to see those projects to fruition. If they do, I will not be available for the BTN Saturday stuff in Kinnick. Plus, whenever the BTN carries an Iowa game, which will be most of them this year, they don't need a sideline contributor as they already have personnel in the stadium.

Iowa football is exciting enough without these mandatory clothing coordinations!

We don't change the players' uniforms, just the crowds'.

I wonder if we can get Nike to sponsor all the changes?

We don't change the players' uniforms, just the crowds'.

I wonder if we can get Nike to sponsor all the changes?

Palpatine, Great to hear from you! Missed your great sense of humor. Hope everything is proceeding as you have foreseen!

BTW, are you a fan of the herd mentality behind the color scheme games? I wonder what a college student from the 70's would have done had the administration mandated what to wear? When I was a kid, sitting in the knot-hole, $5 dollar endzone seats with my dad, I saw some wild and wacky things take place in the "grassy" areas of Kinnick, and I also saw a lot of "individuals" who were definitely not into coordinated clothing.

"Mandated?" Good grief, it's just for fun. Your civil liberties aren't in jeopardy.

Agreed. Its not like you can't get into the games if you don't obey the color schemes. I think it is a fun cool thing the school is doing.
I thought the Penn St game last year was excellent. One of the coolest looking things I have been a part of at a stadium. I can only assume this year will be just as cool.
Not to mention this is an excellent way for the school to make additional money selling merchandise to match up with the color schemes. Great idea all around.

Agreed. Its not like you can't get into the games if you don't obey the color schemes. I think it is a fun cool thing the school is doing.
I thought the Penn St game last year was excellent. One of the coolest looking things I have been a part of at a stadium. I can only assume this year will be just as cool.
Not to mention this is an excellent way for the school to make additional money selling merchandise to match up with the color schemes. Great idea all around.

agreed, i'm excited for the Northwestern game even more now!

Any plans for a sun glasses at night or bobble head night to go along with these?

Yes, at Jack Trice Stadium, I hear they are dedicating a coin to Paul Rhoads during one of the games as well.

Just because a high school stadium can't do these types of things doesn't mean it is stupid. Now move along you idiot.

I'm pretty sure ISU couldn't pull this off at JTS in red and yellow:

Kinnick-Thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry if I've missed it but are we wearing a throw back uni this year at all and is there a pic of it anywhere if so?

I also LOL at the guy who complains about the "herd mentality" of the color scheme when he's no doubt among us 70,000-plus fans lining up on football Saturdays for the games.

They should flip it so the Odd sections wear Gold with the student section and Even wear Black for the NW game.

I like it. I am a "non conformist" also, but it just shows massive amount of support for the team and it looks cool.

I can't imagine a nastier, unruly and more intoxicated crowd than the Iowa crowd will be for the NW game. Night game, national TV, big payback looming.

Oh the fun. (Glad I finally got season tix!)

Latest posts