Interesting Pollard Quote...

Jesse Gavin ‏@JesseGavin1 ISU AD Jamie Pollard says B1G teams are pushing 7 win bowl eligibility so they can "water down" schedules after agreement with Pac12 starts.

Discuss...

Doesn't surprise me.

I'd be all for 7 wins for bowl game eligibility if everyone played by the same rules. But they don't. When teams from one conference get 4 OOC games and another get 3, it gives a huge advantage to the conference with 4 OOC games.

Personally I'd just like to see the Big 12 go back to 12 teams, schedule only 8 conference games and have it be 7 wins to be elgible. It makes it tougher but fair.

And teams from a non BCS have to win 9 games. Nobody cares to see Middle Tenn St at 7-5 playing in a bowl game.

Imagine the teams ISU will be playing out of conference if this rule were to get passed. Talk about watered down....

This won't be an issue when BIG goes to 9 conference games, and 1 of the 3 OOC games is against a PAC 12 team. A majority of teams out there right now already "water down" their OOC by 2 teams anyway.

I think his bigger concern with the 7 wins being bowl eligible is trying to figure out how to get his school to win 7 games, so they can play in a bowl game. He doesn't want to publicly admit that though.

This won't be an issue when BIG goes to 9 conference games, and 1 of the 3 OOC games is against a PAC 12 team. A majority of teams out there right now already "water down" their OOC by 2 teams anyway.

I think his bigger concern with the 7 wins being bowl eligible is trying to figure out how to get his school to win 7 games, so they can play in a bowl game. He doesn't want to publicly admit that though.

If I recall correctly Delaney said that they are scrapping the nine conference game idea since we will automatically be locked in to playing a Pac-12 team each year.

I took me forever to even figure out what he meant by "watered down," since the Pac12 agreement guarantees that the Big 10 champ will have had to play--at a MINIMUM--10 BCS teams. (8 conf + 1 conf title game + 1 Pac12)

I think what he's getting at is that requiring 7 wins will get other teams to weaken their schedule strength, while the Big 10s will go up with the Pac 12 agreement, thus making Big 10 teams look better in the supposed more strength of schedule based ratings for the new playoff.

At least, that's the only thing I could think of that remotely makes sense.

I don't understand how the B1G Pac-12 agreement waters down their schedules.. 8 Conference Games, 1 Pac-12 Match up, 3 free games to schedule (Which will usually give Iowa another BCS opponent in ISU).. 10 BCS games of 12..

If I recall correctly Delaney said that they are scrapping the nine conference game idea since we will automatically be locked in to playing a Pac-12 team each year.

Might be. I might have missed that. I still can't forsee Iowa "watering down" their OOC schedule anymore than it is. This years OOC is terrible. If they stick to the 8 conference games with ISU, a PAC 12 team, and two whatever teams I wouldn't call it a "watered down" OOC. There are plenty of SEC teams who play literally nobody in the OOC.

In actuality Pollard is just scared that with a seven win requirement for bowl games and the B1G entered into an automatic agreement with the Pac-12, Iowa will drop ISU leaving them hanging out to dry.

Doesn't pass logic 101. Why would the B10 need the rule changed to allow them to water down? You can water down right now if you want. And making a huge scheduling agreement with another BCS conference is the exact opposite of watering down.

Doesn't pass logic 101. Why would the B10 need the rule changed to allow them to water down? You can water down right now if you want. And making a huge scheduling agreement with another BCS conference is the exact opposite of watering down.

Thank you for saving me the key strokes. Exactly right.:D

Doesn't surprise me.

I'd be all for 7 wins for bowl game eligibility if everyone played by the same rules. But they don't. When teams from one conference get 4 OOC games and another get 3, it gives a huge advantage to the conference with 4 OOC games.

Personally I'd just like to see the Big 12 go back to 12 teams, schedule only 8 conference games and have it be 7 wins to be elgible. It makes it tougher but fair.

And teams from a non BCS have to win 9 games. Nobody cares to see Middle Tenn St at 7-5 playing in a bowl game.

Nobody cares to see Iowa State at 7-5 playing in a bowl game.

Pollard is a sad sad clown

Clown_pony_s02e14.png

They Know it is nearly impossible for them to get 7 wins once every so often let alone consistently. so they are going to do anything possible to protect the 6 game eligibility.

Nobody cares to see Iowa State at 7-5 playing in a bowl game.

Haha fair enough.

But you get my point. I'm all for 7 games even if that is tough for a school like Iowa State. But if that's the case I'd like the rule that you play 8 conference games.

Latest posts