Interesting info on conference networks

ICHawk24

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-pac-12-networks-20140802-story.html

As the oldest of the group, the Big Ten is available in 90 million homes throughout the U.S. and Canada. The SEC will launch to 67 million households nationwide, with more deals reportedly in the offing. The Pac-12 comes in third at 60 million.

The numbers look even worse for the Pac-12 when you consider actual subscribers — the consumers who pay for an additional tier to watch the network.

The Pac-12 has only 11 million subscribers as compared with 57 million for the Big Ten, according to SNL Kagan, an industry consulting and research firm.

Though it is too early to make projections for the SEC, that conference's pre-launch growth could result in a highly successful debut.

"It's frustrating," Scott said. "We don't have that full distribution."

---

When Big Ten executives blazed a trail with the first major conference network in 2007, cable and satellite companies had to listen because Fox sat at the negotiating table. ESPN carried even more clout in selling the SEC Network.

"We didn't have that leverage," Murphy-Stephans said.

They still don't. The Pac-12 has tried to compensate by asking for about 80 cents per subscriber, well below the reported rates of $1 for the Big Ten and $1.30 or more for the SEC.

The Pac-12 has also been creative, securing a deal with AT&T U-verse by packaging its networks with exclusive telecommunication rights to the 12 member schools. As Scott said: "AT&T does a lot of business with our universities."

None of that has helped with DirecTV, which distributes the Big Ten Network and appears close to signing with the SEC, but has remained steadfast in its two-year stalemate with the Pac-12.

The satellite giant wants to negotiate a lower price or offer the Pac-12 a la carte, which would cut into conference revenues.

90 million homes is a lot. If we have about 325 million people in the USA. How many homes are there

Thanks Jumper. So we are in 78 out every 100 Housholds in America. I think that is pretty good. You can see why Delany is working the East Coast so hard. I still think he want he wants in the South. ( Georgia Tech )

Thanks Jumper. So we are in 78 out every 100 Housholds in America. I think that is pretty good. You can see why Delany is working the East Coast so hard. I still think he want he wants in the South. ( Georgia Tech )

I think the SEC network is going to be a big hit (successful ).

So were in people's homes, and as a result we have $ and people watch us ok. Yet were still not as good as the SE$ And everyone knows it. So what's the point? Don't we want to actually be good at the foozeball? Bobby Bouchet says yes, be good at foozeball first.

I think we are better than the SEC. We make them go to class and get a degree. I just happen to think that's important

Duh. Since when is education important? It's all about the dolla billz yo. Ask Johnny football (said as I rub my thumbs and pointer fingers together)

So were in people's homes, and as a result we have $ and people watch us ok. Yet were still not as good as the SE$ And everyone knows it. So what's the point? Don't we want to actually be good at the foozeball? Bobby Bouchet says yes, be good at foozeball first.

Don't forget basketball. The B1G is way ahead of the SEC in basketball which would be the other big draw for these conference networks ... they are ahead in football no question.

Do they have TV sets in alabama, mississippi, louisiana, or in large parts of texas and georgia? I know rural missouri and arkansas do not have tv. The sec network is a fail. The BT network, in all seriousness, has surpassed almost everyone's expectations, mine included. Much as I dislike the expansion on the weak coast, I must admit it is a good move exposure-wise for the BT.

Im just grateful that there is a BTN or I would miss alot of the games that are just regional games. I've been a Iowa fan since I was a kid and I missed alot of games till they started the BTN

Latest posts