Instant Reaction: My Take on Iowa's Win v UNI

I'm not sure Spearman ever got burnt by Johnson on pass coverage. Unless it was early in the game, I do not remember it.

It's more the offense. The dink and dunk to the sidelines won't get it done. It seemed like jake was told to throw deep no matter what on out last scoring drive. The refusal to use the middle of the field, the now joke of audibles....we don't do ourselves any favors.

I just wish wish we could put together a solid game begin to end and not have every contest come down to final minutes. The defense will be alright with time. What's the offenses excuse?

Funny how Alston hasn't learned how to bump a running back who is obviously darting out of the backfield to become a receiving target. Hasn't he been in the program for 5 years? Iowa probably loses this game if they didn't gain all those yards via UNI penalties.

Johnson had three long receptions. The first was Spearman on the sideline, the second were both Alston down the middle of the field.

I'd rather see the LBs struggle against the pass than the corners. The LBs seem much more correctable.

Good to get a win despite the struggles. ISU pounded by 20.

I'm tired of watching the conservative play on Offense, open up the gate and let these YOUNG MEN play some College Football. Iowa has some playmakers on offense but they are just not letting them have any fun with the playcalling. Not joking when I say this, but Iowa could have and should have scored 50 points on UNI today.

I'm tired of watching the conservative play on Offense, open up the gate and let these YOUNG MEN play some College Football. Iowa has some playmakers on offense but they are just not letting them have any fun with the playcalling. Not joking when I say this, but Iowa could have and should have scored 50 points on UNI today.

If you're tired of watching it's going to be a long season for you.

For the past 6 years or so Iowa's MO is what we watched today. Iowa football is an average product and that's it.

If you add up the total yards Ruddock threw for and completed during the game, it totaled approximately 400 yards. Problem is 150 of those yards were sideways.

If anybody wants exciting football it'd be best to look elsewhere. It's not happening with KF and his staff. I personally accepted that a few years back.

Just hope they win 8 games per year.

Last edited:
If you're tired of watching it's going to be a long season for you.

For the past 6 years or so Iowa's MO is what we watched today. Iowa football is an average product and that's it.

If you add up the total yards Ruddock threw for and completed during the game, it totaled approximately 400 yards. Problem is 150 of those yards were sideways.

If anybody wants exciting football it'd be best to look elsewhere. It's not happening with KF and his staff. I personally accepted that a few years back.

Just hope they win 8 games per year.

I disagree. I think there were many times we wanted to go deep but Jake didn't feel like it was there so he dumped it off. He needs to get confidence that his receivers will catch the ball or get a PI call.

It's a good thing KF and GD remembered they have Willies on the roster. Too bad they didn't realize it until mid-way through the 4th quarter.

I disagree. I think there were many times we wanted to go deep but Jake didn't feel like it was there so he dumped it off. He needs to get confidence that his receivers will catch the ball or get a PI call.

I agree. He had some chances to throw it deep but backed off and dumped it off. Jake just needs to learn how to take chances every now and then.

Don't take me the wrong way. I'm not complaining. As a longtime fan we have a choice of accepting the program as is or we are free to find another program to cheer for. Iowa is not bad. They are plain vanilla with a few sprinkles mixed in. Just not enough to change the flavor. I'm just amazed however by the fans that keep complaining. Have they not been watching this program in the past 6 years? You should know by now what you're getting with the Hawks.

As for Ruddock and his confidence. He is a Junior now with easily to most talented WR group since he's been a QB at Iowa. If he doesn't trust them now then when? I don't believe he trusts himself very much on long passes in my honest and non expert opinion.

I agree. He had some chances to throw it deep but backed off and dumped it off. Jake just needs to learn how to take chances every now and then.

Him not taking chances is probably one of the main reasons he's #1 on the depth chart.

I think Rudock doesn't know the playbook very well when it comes to deep receiver routes. It's a fact that he's been excused from a lot of game prep and practice due to his heavy premed schedule, and I wouldn't would be surprised in the slightest if he's slacked off on learning all the deep routes of GD's famously complicated passing packages. I honestly have no other explanation why so often Rudock clearly looks like he's just pretending to look downfield before he goes to short outlet pass.

Latest posts