Injuries

DunderMifflinHk

I've seen a few people mentioned that we've been having injuries and now they are not optimistic about the season as they once were. I haven't seen any proof that we are getting hit by the injury bug. Who is supposedly hurt and what proof do we actually have that they're hurt?

DiBona's the only season loss. I know McMillan is fighting a sports hernia but it looks like Scherff will fill that spot. And then Lowery is out until late September but Castillo was expected to win that spot anyway. For the most part, depth has been the only thing compromised right now.

DiBona's the only season loss. I know McMillan is fighting a sports hernia but it looks like Scherff will fill that spot. And then Lowery is out until late September but Castillo was expected to win that spot anyway. For the most part, depth has been the only thing compromised right now.

To expand upon things further here ....

- While Scherff appears as though he'll fill MacMillan's spot, he himself has been dinged a bit. That is why Tobin had been practicing at that OG spot for a bit. Of course, to Tobin's credit ... he's pretty good too.

- McMillan, the OG/C from Montana, has been spotted in a boot. At one point in time, he was a back-up at C. Of course, Boffeli was ahead of him anyhow.

- If you read one of the articles in the gazette, it mentions how Alvis has been dinged in fall camp thus far. Considering that we're not swimming with experience on the DL ... he could really use to see as many quality reps as possible.

- Back at the open scrimmage, it was noticed that Daniel was out due to injury. If you then closely parse the UI practice photos and fall-camp summary videos ... at a certain juncture, Daniel just drops off the map. He might already be back ... I don't know ... however, he's definitely dinged up, at the very least.

- Also, if you look at the UI practice photos and fall-camp summary videos ... Carl Davis is conspicuously absent. I have no doubt that he's dinged up too. Just like Alvis ... he's a guy who could use as many quality reps as possible ahead of time ... the quicker he can get down the fundamentals, the better.

Anyhow, while I'm admittedly not as "nervous" about the status of our OL ... I'm a lot more concerned about the short-term impact of our DL injuries. We're going to be facing a bunch of pass-happy teams early in the season ... and we'll be facing them with a DL that has been dinged and with a secondary that is missing Lowery ... and featuring 2 new starters.

In my estimation, the odds of us dropping a game against either Iowa State or Pitt have just gone up quite a bit.

However, don't get me wrong ... once our guys catch their stride through the season ... I think that team has the potential to develop into a great group. However, it's not going to happen overnight.

Doesn't this happen every year though? Players getting dinged up here and there happens all the time. I'm just happy we haven't had any major injuries reported (other than Dibona)
where the player is out to most or all year. ISU doesn't scare me enough to not expect a win and Pitt will be feeling out it's new coach. I think our offense will be good enough to eat up a lot clock and give the defense a lot of rest.

Last edited:

- While Scherff appears as though he'll fill MacMillan's spot, he himself has been dinged a bit. That is why Tobin had been practicing at that OG spot for a bit. Of course, to Tobin's credit ... he's pretty good too.

- McMillan, the OG/C from Montana, has been spotted in a boot. At one point in time, he was a back-up at C. Of course, Boffeli was ahead of him anyhow.

- If you read one of the articles in the gazette, it mentions how Alvis has been dinged in fall camp thus far. Considering that we're not swimming with experience on the DL ... he could really use to see as many quality reps as possible.

- Back at the open scrimmage, it was noticed that Daniel was out due to injury. If you then closely parse the UI practice photos and fall-camp summary videos ... at a certain juncture, Daniel just drops off the map. He might already be back ... I don't know ... however, he's definitely dinged up, at the very least.

- Also, if you look at the UI practice photos and fall-camp summary videos ... Carl Davis is conspicuously absent. I have no doubt that he's dinged up too. Just like Alvis ... he's a guy who could use as many quality reps as possible ahead of time ... the quicker he can get down the fundamentals, the better.

Anyhow, while I'm admittedly not as "nervous" about the status of our OL ... I'm a lot more concerned about the short-term impact of our DL injuries. We're going to be facing a bunch of pass-happy teams early in the season ... and we'll be facing them with a DL that has been dinged and with a secondary that is missing Lowery ... and featuring 2 new starters.

In my estimation, the odds of us dropping a game against either Iowa State or Pitt have just gone up quite a bit.

However, don't get me wrong ... once our guys catch their stride through the season ... I think that team has the potential to develop into a great group. However, it's not going to happen overnight.

Once the two deeps come out next week we'll get a better idea of what's going on.

So, just to be clear you have no hard evidence that anyone is actually hurt other than the assumptions you're making from pictures? I mean, you don't know for sure that anything you just wrote is concrete that they are in fact injuries? Not trying to be a smart a$$, just wondering if I'm reading that correctly or are you at the practices or have some type of inside connection to justify what you stated. Thanks.

So, just to be clear you have no hard evidence that anyone is actually hurt other than the assumptions you're making from pictures? I mean, you don't know for sure that anything you just wrote is concrete that they are in fact injuries? Not trying to be a smart a$$, just wondering if I'm reading that correctly or are you at the practices or have some type of inside connection to justify what you stated. Thanks.

Ferentz also said that there were some guys that were nicked up, but only DiBona's was season-ending, and the others weren't a big deal (this was before Lowery got hurt).

Homer's list is what he has seen and probably read. Several players were held out of kids day practice and some of injuries noted. DiBona is only injury that has been announced as season ending. Others are banged up in some way or another that has limited their practicing.

No one but team staff and players really know what actual injury situation may be.

Homer I think you are reading too much into those pictures. KF said at the open practice that the guys that didn't play could have if there would have been a game. I think they are being more precautionary then anything this year compared to years past.

Homer's list is what he has seen and probably read. Several players were held out of kids day practice and some of injuries noted. DiBona is only injury that has been announced as season ending. Others are banged up in some way or another that has limited their practicing.

No one but team staff and players really know what actual injury situation may be.

Thanks, that's what I was asking and figured. Just seemed like he had some kind of inside information but it really is all assumption with no real factual evidence. Just kind of made it up from pictures and reading like most of us have available. I appreciate the response.

Iowa is always vulnerable to injuries due to lack of depth,but this year it is even more so,with all the players they have lost the last two years. That is why I believe Hawk fans are so focused in on the injury count. This is a team with a razor thin margin for injury...if they stay unusually healthy, I see 10-2 (6-2),but with some key injuries,they could easily end up with 5 or 6 losses.

Doesn't this happen every year though? Players getting dinged up here and there happens all the time. I'm just happy we haven't had any major injuries reported (other than Dibona)
where the player is out to most or all year. ISU doesn't scare me enough to not expect a win and Pitt will be feeling out it's new coach. I think our offense will be good enough to eat up a lot clock and give the defense a lot of rest.

Yes it does. I wouldn't even call it an injury bug anymore. Bugs go away after a period of time. Each year, except 2002 Iowa has dealt with significant injuries. 2005 wasn't too bad. Its pretty much a given that Iowa will once again face major injury issues this season.

Not sure if other schools deal with this amount of injuries or not. It would be interesting to follow a couple of teams regularly to track their injuries and compare them to Iowa's.

That certainly is true…..those teams do have their own growing issues as well. But we need some consistency and reps down there for sure.

I’m hopeful that a Bigach (if healthy) or a Nardo or Forgy (guys who have been in the program a long time) will be more than just warm bodies. And for that matter it sounds like Gags has rounded into shape and Cooper is more than just a body himself…..For what it’s worth, we obviously want our most talented cats out there, but more reps for these guys can’t hurt. We surely know what we have in Daniel and Alvis he has been a long talked about player who obviously needs game reps, but surely we have at least an idea what to expect from him when healthy?!

Chad

Thanks, that's what I was asking and figured. Just seemed like he had some kind of inside information but it really is all assumption with no real factual evidence. Just kind of made it up from pictures and reading like most of us have available. I appreciate the response.

Homer doesn’t need me to defend him, but just so you are aware…….He follows it very close and keeps his ear to the ground so-to-speak….coupled with having a pretty good logic train, therefore he’s not just pulling things out of the sky. Those guys have not been practicing regularly I’m pretty sure of that…..I personally feel it seems like they could be if needed though.

Chad

If you're familiar with my posting ... then you'd recognize that I'd admit if I were drawing inferences from incomplete data. Unfortunately, I'm not drawing inferences here.

However, to my knowledge, DiBona's injury is the only injury thus far that is a "season-ender." Lowery's and MacMillan's injuries are enough to make them miss a good hunk of the season ... however, there is still plenty of reason to believe that they'll still make it back by the latter part of the season.

Nothing I've heard suggests that the other injuries are too major. However, it still is a bummer when young guys are dinged during such an important time ... camp is the time for them to make some of the biggest strides in their development.

If you're familiar with my posting ... then you'd recognize that I'd admit if I were drawing inferences from incomplete data. Unfortunately, I'm not drawing inferences here.

However, to my knowledge, DiBona's injury is the only injury thus far that is a "season-ender." Lowery's and MacMillan's injuries are enough to make them miss a good hunk of the season ... however, there is still plenty of reason to believe that they'll still make it back by the latter part of the season.

Nothing I've heard suggests that the other injuries are too major. However, it still is a bummer when young guys are dinged during such an important time ... camp is the time for them to make some of the biggest strides in their development.

This. While guys like Scherff, Morris, etc. could easily play if we had a game today, Ferentz is never one to take chances in camp when it comes to little injuries, and so those players end up missing valuable time in camp, which can hinder them once the games start (particularly if they don't have a lot of experience).

Homer, when did you notice Carl Davis? He was mentioned specifically by name during the BigTen Network preview as a potential contributor and they had video of him practicing.

Another thing worth noting……Yes we lost a lot of players and yes we have some thin spots, especially experience wise. But honestly Iowa isn’t all that much thinner or more susceptible to injury than any of the upper echelon teams.

Just watch the headlines on Yahoo….there are already a lot of teams short some headline players. Plus with 44 kids on camp rosters it seems we must actually have quite a few players behind the scenes every year just waiting to get their shot. That figure is top 10 or 12 in the country.

Chad

I'm sure we have some guys banged up and some might not play the first few weeks but we are in a hell of a lot better spot than Purdue is at this point after losing their starting QB for the season a week before it's first game and not knowing if their back up will be ready for the season opener or not.

THAT WOULD HAVE ME WORRIED!!!

Homer, when did you notice Carl Davis? He was mentioned specifically by name during the BigTen Network preview as a potential contributor and they had video of him practicing.

You have to remember that the B10 Network preview was also pretty early in camp. Also, I simply used the pictures as reference ... I don't want to mention any more about the injuries because I don't want to undermine our squad, nor do I want to put my sources in awkward positions.

Latest posts