Impressive class, beyond athletics

Icarus

I've heard people say this is a good recruiting class because of the types of players we're getting, more than just the ability of the players. Reading the new player bios that were just put up on hawkeyesports.com I realized how true this is. Almost all of the recruits were captains, most of them were honor roll students, and a lot of the individual facts are indicative, I think, of the change in recruiting tactics since the 2005 class. For example,

Marcus Coker: " Astrophysics major . . . Principal's List . . . named as state Gentleman of the Year in both 2009 and 2010, posting over 1,000 hours of community service"

Louis Trinca-Pasat: "4.2 GPA"

James Morris: "3.95 GPA"

Etc.

Check out the individual links at the bottom for more:

Signing Day: A Little Bit About the Newest Hawkeyes - IOWA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Of the 21 players, 19 were capiains and 14 are honor roll students.

I like seeing those kinds of numbers ...

Of the 21 players, 19 were capiains and 14 are honor roll students.

I like seeing those kinds of numbers ...

Yeah, I thought the honor roll number was more impressive. Most D1 athletes were probably captains in high school due to their ability, but the academic success more directly indicates the type of person we're getting.

From an academic standpoint this class seems well prepared for the classroom. There are some players that look like they have the ability to achieve Academic All-American status. One remark made by broadcasters during the past season was that Iowa was a "smart" team. This group has the potential to be prepare quickly for opponents.