Im Going To Say this Again

Northside Hawk

If this team can survive the physical bloodbath that is this conference and cobble together enough wins to get to the NCAA'S, they are set up for a run more than last year's team or any team in the Fran era.

Kris Murray's performance last night convinced me. This team is athletic and has a pit bull mentality. Look at how Connor wasn't afraid to get in coach Woodson's face when Mike was jawing with the refs at halftime. We have other junkyard dogs as well. And Mark my words, Rebraca is going to be playing his best ball going into March, whether he starts or comes off the bench. He just has to adjust to the bloodbath that is this league.

In the NCAA'S they don't allow the Kofi Cockburns and Liddell's and that dude from Maryland and others simply camp out in the lane and crash over people's backs all night. That's why this conference spit the bit last year. And why teams in the Pac 12 and teams like Baylor, Alabama and Arkansas did so well.

Now if March comes and I am proven wrong, then let me have it. But I have watched too much basketball to not see March potential in this team. If we can just get there with a decent seed!

If this team can survive the physical bloodbath that is this conference and cobble together enough wins to get to the NCAA'S, they are set up for a run more than last year's team or any team in the Fran era.

Kris Murray's performance last night convinced me. This team is athletic and has a pit bull mentality. Look at how Connor wasn't afraid to get in coach Woodson's face when Mike was jawing with the refs at halftime. We have other junkyard dogs as well. And Mark my words, Rebraca is going to be playing his best ball going into March, whether he starts or comes off the bench. He just has to adjust to the bloodbath that is this league.

In the NCAA'S they don't allow the Kofi Cockburns and Liddell's and that dude from Maryland and others simply camp out in the lane and crash over people's backs all night. That's why this conference spit the bit last year. And why teams in the Pac 12 and teams like Baylor, Alabama and Arkansas did so well.

Now if March comes and I am proven wrong, then let me have it. But I have watched too much basketball to not see March potential in this team. If we can just get there with a decent seed!

Lute Olson says Hello as so many of his teams would get called for very ticky tack fouls in the tourney and the hawks would run into foul trouble.

If Nunge would have stayed, this team would be stupid good

Lute Olson says Hello as so many of his teams would get called for very ticky tack fouls in the tourney and the hawks would run into foul trouble.
Like, you mean, against Toledo for example?

Fouls that Lester and Boyle and Special K would get away with in league play would get called by neutral refs in the postseason. Those Lute teams were PHYSICAL. Which is why they gave Michigan and Michigan State so much trouble. Games with Knigjt's Indiana teams felt like they would devolve into fist fights at any time.

When Lute recruited next team, guys like Payne and Stokes and Lohaus weren't as physical. Definitely when compared to the 1979 and 1980 teams.

They have some moxie for sure. Gotta get Ogundele more playing time, he can get us some bounds. Whatever they smoked or did at halftime, keep doing it. Held Indiana to 26 points for 2nd half. When Hawks allow 50 burgers in 1st, they almost always, always lose. Not last night. I hope we turned some corner......

They have some moxie for sure. Gotta get Ogundele more playing time, he can get us some bounds. Whatever they smoked or did at halftime, keep doing it. Held Indiana to 26 points for 2nd half. When Hawks allow 50 burgers in 1st, they almost always, always lose. Not last night. I hope we turned some corner......
I felt the same way about Ogundele…until he gained that holiday weight.

This team has the same problems this year that plagued them in the tournament last year. Our guards can’t defend or score on the top teams in the country period.

This team has the same problems this year that plagued them in the tournament last year. Our guards can’t defend or score on the top teams in the country period.
The +/- stat is telling. In this game Hawkeye guards had a collective net +24; IU guards net -57. As you know this stat measures a player's impact on the game. Also, Hawks won the rebounding battle which has been a problem this season. And look at where points came from:
+16 turnovers; +2 paint;+7 second chance (Hawks +4 OR);
+10 fast breaks; + 8 FT. Significant move forward--now have to keep it up.

Myself among many other people thought that this team would be much better defensively than last year's team... until the 2nd half of the Indiana game they really haven't. Their KenPom defensive efficiency numbers are worse by far of any team in his top 25. The effort we saw in the 2nd half needs to continue.

The +/- stat is telling. In this game Hawkeye guards had a collective net +24; IU guards net -57. As you know this stat measures a player's impact on the game. Also, Hawks won the rebounding battle which has been a problem this season. And look at where points came from:
+16 turnovers; +2 paint;+7 second chance (Hawks +4 OR);
+10 fast breaks; + 8 FT. Significant move forward--now have to keep it up.
It was a good win for sure but not a good indicator of how we would matchup against the better tournament teams in the country.

Fran recruited and is playing two point guards who are as quick as any in the BT, play very aggressive D, are good passers, beat guys to the basket, create problems in the press, generate steals and turnovers, and work hard. In short, we are better at those positions, except for points scored. I have a vague recollection of heavy criticism of a point guard who scored a ton of points but was considered a defensive disaster to the point that he added nothing to the team. Oh well. I am sure there is a flawless super hero out there somewhere.

Agree this team has potential and was impressed with their defense and mental toughness in the second half against Indiana. It will be interesting to see if they can follow it up with a good performance at Minnesota on Sunday. Also, most of their losses were on the road against pretty good teams: Purdue, Wisconsin and Iowa State. Hoping they will get hot over the next month.

Agree this team has potential and was impressed with their defense and mental toughness in the second half against Indiana. It will be interesting to see if they can follow it up with a good performance at Minnesota on Sunday. Also, most of their losses were on the road against pretty good teams: Purdue, Wisconsin and Iowa State. Hoping they will get hot over the next month.
They should have plenty of incentive considering what happened last minute of regulation at Minnesota last year. At least that would give me incentive.

Just re-watched the game. Iowa’s intensity in the second half was amazing. Actually, it wasn’t exactly awful even in the first half. They flat wore out Indy.

This team is far better than than last years team defensively. What many do not take into consideration is that Iowa plays fast on offense, giving their opponents more possessions each game. Just because they give up points does not mean they haven’t improved defensively. With that being said there is still a lot of room for improvement on rebounding.

Myself among many other people thought that this team would be much better defensively than last year's team... until the 2nd half of the Indiana game they really haven't. Their KenPom defensive efficiency numbers are worse by far of any team in his top 25. The effort we saw in the 2nd half needs to continue.
Maybe the first game in the Fran era won by Defense, I would like to see the freshman center get playing time he is young but has the frame to block out.

Latest posts